SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192
Default CCA backs raise of license fee- Thoughts?

CCA is backing a bill to raise saltwater fishing licenses 136% from %5.50 to 13. What is yalls thoughts on this and do you see any benefit from the increased revenue or will it just be more money for the politician's pocket?

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.s...se_louisi.html
Old 04-08-2014, 12:39 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

Gotta keep their pockets fat!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

i think its crap... someone needs to find out how to make it stop!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Compared to neighboring states we have the lowest license fees........ With the increase we will still be the lowest. I see no problem with it as long as the money is spent where it needs to be spent and not taken from for non saltwater fishing initiatives.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Just get a lifetime license
Old 04-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Compared to neighboring states we have the lowest license fees........ With the increase we will still be the lowest. I see no problem with it as long as the money is spent where it needs to be spent and not taken from for non saltwater fishing initiatives.
youre right... but i just dont think itll go for the right reason at all.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

Quote:
X2
Old 04-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Quote:
It says in the article Mississippi is the cheapest.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,162

I think it is reasonable IF there is a guarantee that the money will be used to better manage the saltwater fisheries. Wouldn't surprise me if the money just went into a general fund and would be used to pay for something else though.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Just get a lifetime license
Yep
Old 04-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,071

I don't mind a higher tax/fee if the funds are used appropriately. Therefore, I am totally against this increase...
Old 04-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Just another reason to not give to cca
Old 04-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,058

Gotta lifetime a long time ago and it has more than paid for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2014, 01:27 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

The illusion of dedicated funds in gov't ends up being a ruse almost every time.

The state can simply cut the funding for saltwater research from other sources, just as it cut education funding (or slowed growth) from other sources to effectively negate lottery revenues.

LA politicians have a long history of failing to respect the idea of dedicated funds in dedicated accounts, sometimes raiding the funds outright to finance other things or balance the budget or whatever.

LA has great fishing, certainly even well worth the cost of out of state licenses, in my opinion. I would not mind paying more personally, but most states are facing the long term issue of declining numbers of anglers. As hunter and angler numbers decline compared with the general population, greater encroachments on hunting and fishing rights are a predictable result.

The percentage of LA citizens who hunt and fish and vote are a more important long term asset to LDWF than license revenues.

Has the money ($26 million) from raiding the artificial reef fund been repaid yet? Increasing license fees with this nonsense still unfixed seems like a bad plan. Adding $3-4 million in additional revenues is not gonna help when the legislature seems willing to steal $26 million at any time.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
The illusion of dedicated funds in gov't ends up being a ruse almost every time.

The state can simply cut the funding for saltwater research from other sources, just as it cut education funding (or slowed growth) from other sources to effectively negate lottery revenues.

LA politicians have a long history of failing to respect the idea of dedicated funds in dedicated accounts, sometimes raiding the funds outright to finance other things or balance the budget or whatever.

LA has great fishing, certainly even well worth the cost of out of state licenses, in my opinion. I would not mind paying more personally, but most states are facing the long term issue of declining numbers of anglers. As hunter and angler numbers decline compared with the general population, greater encroachments on hunting and fishing rights are a predictable result.

The percentage of LA citizens who hunt and fish and vote are a more important long term asset to LDWF than license revenues.

Has the money ($26 million) from raiding the artificial reef fund been repaid yet? Increasing license fees with this nonsense still unfixed seems like a bad plan. Adding $3-4 million in additional revenues is not gonna help when the legislature seems willing to steal $26 million at any time.
x2
Old 04-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post

x100. I don't mind paying to play as long as the money is going for the intended purpose. That's just not the name of the game in Louisiana politics.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
x100. I don't mind paying to play as long as the money is going for the intended purpose. That's just not the name of the game in Louisiana politics.
what is the intended purpose of increasing license fees?
Old 04-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
what is the intended purpose of increasing license fees?

"
Quote:
As the bill is currently written, the full amount of the increase would be deposited into a newly created Saltwater Fish Research and Conservation Fund.
"
Old 04-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Conservation fund? like trying to apply more strict regulations on snapper and tripletail?
Old 04-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck View Post
It says in the article Mississippi is the cheapest.

Because they dont require you to purchase a Freshwater License