SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 12-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535
Default Hydraulic Steering Question - Lafayette

I've got a Sea Pro SV2100 Bay boat with a 150 Verado on the back. The steering is real stiff and I took it to a dealer in Lake Charles to have him look at it and they told me there was nothing wrong with it and that Mercury hydraulic systems are stiff like teleflex. I find this very hard to believe because it really takes work to steer this sucker and it's nothing like other hydraulic systems I have driven. I would like to get a second opinion on this as I just don't think it's quite right. Can anyone recommend a good Mercury dealer. I live in Deridder and would rather not drive further than Lafayette, but I will to get some good help. I am not opposed to going to Texas either. Let me know who you trust. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

what brand?

i had teleflex on my boat and it was great till the fluid got low

check the fluid
Old 12-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
I've got a Sea Pro SV2100 Bay boat with a 150 Verado on the back. The steering is real stiff and I took it to a dealer in Lake Charles to have him look at it and they told me there was nothing wrong with it and that Mercury hydraulic systems are stiff like teleflex. I find this very hard to believe because it really takes work to steer this sucker and it's nothing like other hydraulic systems I have driven. I would like to get a second opinion on this as I just don't think it's quite right. Can anyone recommend a good Mercury dealer. I live in Deridder and would rather not drive further than Lafayette, but I will to get some good help. I am not opposed to going to Texas either. Let me know who you trust. Thanks.
I had problems with mine. The grease on the steering rod was old & even though I greased it regularly the old dried grease wouldn't allow the new grease to get to the steering rod. I now use never seize(nickle anti seize) on the steering rod. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Red Snapper

Yak' em,

You remember when we fished that tournament and I ended up getting the kidney stone? Remember I told you to feel how stiff my steering was on my boat? I am supposed to have a hydraulic system but it feels like teleflex.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Swordfish

i guess i had sea star.

yea i remember how rough it was.

Are you keeping the boat?
Old 12-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Red Snapper

I love the boat, it's exceptionally versatile as it fishes several people well and with the rear bench seat and the forward lounging pad that came with it it's a great family/party boat as well. It's 8.5 feet wide and very stable; however, I am considering selling it this coming winter as I think I need to downsize a little. I may buy a 17 foot flat or a 17-19 foot bay boat.....or maybe just a kayak!
Old 12-02-2009, 05:51 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

ask w he forgot more about boats than everyone here knows. im sure hes googling as we speak.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

You can bring it to us at The Prop Shop in Lafayette,we are a mercury warranty center. Your probably have some air in the system making it hard.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 984

I just purchased a boat with hydraulic steering. What kind of routine maintenance should I perform?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Swordfish

just check for leaks every once in a while and make sure the ram stays clean
Old 12-06-2009, 02:58 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

just wash the rams with fresh water when you get back from fishing. salt water will eventually wear out those seals and need to be changed but they usually last 5 years on a normal used boat.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
i have a friend with the same boat except he has the 200 optimax i love that thing very dry and smooth ride
Old 12-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Red Snapper

Fishinpox,

It really is a great boat and rides exceptionally well. My wife is breaking the bank this Christmas, I'll probably need to sell in the spring.