SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Redfish

Cash: 600
Default Outboard Problem

I have a 2001 Yamaha 4 Stroke 40hp. I have had absolutly no trouble out of this motor until now. The problem is that it will start and run fine until put under a load in the water. When I put it in gear and try to throttle up it wants to cut out and try to die. I have since taken it to my mechanic (who has been working on outboards of thirty years) and he has run every test under the sun, and finally we have come to the conclusion that one of the caburators is not working properly. He cleaned it and the problem got better but still not enough power to plane the boat. He then contacted Yamaha and there answer was to replace the carb cuz that model there are ports in it that just cant be reached to clean, and that they had so much trouble with that design that they later discontinued it and went to fuel injection. My question is has anyone else had this problem and what did you do. I personally have never heard of carbs that cant be cleaned and rebuilt at least once.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

After reading the first two lines......I was thinking your problem is plugged high speed port in the carb.

Sounds like Yamaha solution is to change out the carbs.

This should be covered under Yamaha warrenty.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

yep ive seen the 40-50 yamaha fourstrokes with the same problem. they replace the carb and the motor runs fine after that. if you call yamaha you should be able to get a free one from thier goodwill program. just explain what is going on and they should take care of it for you.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
After reading the first two lines......I was thinking your problem is plugged high speed port in the carb.

Sounds like Yamaha solution is to change out the carbs.

This should be covered under Yamaha warrenty.
I agree but warranty is only 3 years and the motor is a 2001,but I am going to try what flounder smacker said and see what they do. I'll let everyone know what happens. If anyone else has any suggetions let me know.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder_smacker View Post
yep ive seen the 40-50 yamaha fourstrokes with the same problem. they replace the carb and the motor runs fine after that. if you call yamaha you should be able to get a free one from thier goodwill program. just explain what is going on and they should take care of it for you.

Flounder Smacker,

If I end up with a free carb Im buying you a steak dinner. lol.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 643

Call yamaha and they should give you a feww carb...

[SIZE=1]can i have a free steak to?[/SIZE]
Old 05-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Redfish

Cash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackberry Hustler View Post
Flounder Smacker,

If I end up with a free carb Im buying you a steak dinner. lol.
Is that one steak dinner per carb.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Redfish

There's nothing that Seafoam can't clean. Try taking your fuel line off of the water seperator and take a 1 quart seafoam and 3 quart gas mix (In a 1 gallon jug) and run this 1/2 way out and let the motor sit for an hour. Run the other half of the mix thru and then put in the water and take it for a ride.

It works!!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Is that one steak dinner per carb.
Whatever it takes i really love my yammie, but am completely fed up with fighting this problem.....lol
Old 05-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Redfish

Thumbs up

Second that...
Old 05-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
There's nothing that Seafoam can't clean. Try taking your fuel line off of the water seperator and take a 1 quart seafoam and 3 quart gas mix (In a 1 gallon jug) and run this 1/2 way out and let the motor sit for an hour. Run the other half of the mix thru and then put in the water and take it for a ride.

It works!!!!

007 I may give that a try if YAMAHA doesnt come through. I have always run a little seafoam in every tank of gas, thats why i dont understand why its clogged....
Old 05-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Redfish

Quote:
007 I may give that a try if YAMAHA doesnt come through. I have always run a little seafoam in every tank of gas, thats why i dont understand why its clogged....
This treatment will clean everything including piston heads, spark plugs and carbs all in one shot. You'll think that it's a 2 stroke for a little while until all of the carbon burns up.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:16 PM
King Mackeral

i do a little outboard work on the side and this guy had a 50 with the same exact problem. he ran 3 cans of seafoam which usually gets carbs right and nothing improved. so i tore them down and soaked them in carb dip which will eat skin off the hand for 2 hours and no good. i tore down and soaked the carbs 4 times which usually only takes one time to clean it good. after that i called the yamaha rep and a week later he came and picked his brain on it and after a week of him cleaning them in sonic bath with the best carb cleaner yamaha could buy still dirty. he called yamaha and they sent a new carb and after that it ran like a top. on that motor it was the bottom one which is usually the one to act up. ive seen yamaha replace blown power heads on out of warranty motors. they stand behind their product. talked to a rep once and said they goodwill about 4 million worth of parts a year. just sweet talk them a little bit and i bet they will shuck out a carb.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:19 PM
King Mackeral

also its best to get your boat worked on by a yamaha certified mechanic that way when he calls yamaha they know that he has tried all that could be done
Old 05-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Redfish

Flounder Smacker

I talked to yamaha today and they claim that if you dissassemble the thing completely and make sure all the passages are clear, run water through all the passages with a syringe and put it back together it will work......... He also said that just soaking them usually does not work, but they can be cleaned. Same carb they been using for 15 years he claims. these carbs are supposedly the same as was on the 2 stroke models of the past. Sounds to me like the same ole crab that i hear from a manufacturer that i work on equipment for "We never heard of that, nobody else in the united states is having that problem"
Old 05-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post

It works!!!!

007.....I ran 2 treatments through it today then took it to the lake with a little left of the second treatment. Got out there and the same thing (bogging and wouldnt run), but I stayed with it and after running for a while it slowly started picking up speed. After running about 3 or 4 miles it planed out and hadnt looked back. I have always been a fan of Seafoam,but now i am gonna be there #1 spokesman it just saved me a @#$load of money. Forty dollars worth of Seafoam just saved me over $400.00!!!!!!!!!!!

Where you want that steak dinner sent!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Redfish

Quote:
007.....I ran 2 treatments through it today then took it to the lake with a little left of the second treatment. Got out there and the same thing (bogging and wouldnt run), but I stayed with it and after running for a while it slowly started picking up speed. After running about 3 or 4 miles it planed out and hadnt looked back. I have always been a fan of Seafoam,but now i am gonna be there #1 spokesman it just saved me a @#$load of money. Forty dollars worth of Seafoam just saved me over $400.00!!!!!!!!!!!

Where you want that steak dinner sent!!!!!!!!!!!!
PM Sent!