SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 12-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Redfish

Cash: 678
Default Not bad for first time using a trail camera

This is sort of an update to another post I had called "I'm glad I talked him into it". I'd been going on and on talking to my dad for some time about how much I liked checking my cameras, sending him some deer pictures, etc. Well, he took the plunge and bought one, and put it out last week. Sure enough, he got some deer pics! He called me yesterday afternoon just pleased as can be. No wall hangers, but who cares! He sent me these today. I told him that's not bad at all getting deer pictures the first time you put the camera out there. These deer are small, but he said there's some big ones out there. Maybe he'll get lucky and get the drop on one of them, or at least get a picture. I told him he's going to enjoy using his camera. It's sort of like hunting, even when your not "hunting". I'm excited for him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resised doe from dad's camera.jpg (96.9 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg resized button buck doe and coon.jpg (97.2 KB, 187 views)
Old 12-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Critter View Post
This is sort of an update to another post I had called "I'm glad I talked him into it". I'd been going on and on talking to my dad for some time about how much I liked checking my cameras, sending him some deer pictures, etc. Well, he took the plunge and bought one, and put it out last week. Sure enough, he got some deer pics! He called me yesterday afternoon just pleased as can be. No wall hangers, but who cares! He sent me these today. I told him that's not bad at all getting deer pictures the first time you put the camera out there. These deer are small, but he said there's some big ones out there. Maybe he'll get lucky and get the drop on one of them, or at least get a picture. I told him he's going to enjoy using his camera. It's sort of like hunting, even when your not "hunting". I'm excited for him.
Let the deer grow up and shoot that coon. Thats some good stuff there
Old 12-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 700

I see you plan on frying that back strap fresh, you already got the burner in the woods next to the tree.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Redfish

Ha Ha! That's not a burner. It does look like one though. I thought the same thing when I saw it. I asked him about it and it's something for his feeder. I think he plans to use it for a portable feeder stand of some kind. I'll have to ask him again. Keep in mind, these are my dad's pics, not mine. These are from his first set of pics, first time using a trail camera. We hunt about 50 or 60 miles apart. I hunt in Vermilion Parish, and he hunts in Evangeline Parish. He says there's tracks all around.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCagin View Post
I see you plan on frying that back strap fresh, you already got the burner in the woods next to the tree.
Hey RaginCagin, I just checked out your profile and realized that my dad hunts not far from where you live. He and my uncle hunt a small piece of property just a few miles west of Mamou.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Redfish

I just found out what the device that looks like a burner is used for. It is a stand for his feeder that he made to be able to lower it to the ground when he refills it. It keeps the motor and spinner off the ground. He said the coons kept hanging from it and pulling it off, so he just took it off and set it on the ground nearby. When it's time to refill the feeder, he just sets it in the stand. It's something he made for convenience. Not a bad idea.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Redfish

Cash: 772

What kind of cameras do you all use? Been looking at the Moultrie, but not ready to take the plunge without some good research.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,829

healthy deer,nice and fat
Old 12-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunterbiff View Post
What kind of cameras do you all use? Been looking at the Moultrie, but not ready to take the plunge without some good research.
Reviews are mixed, but I believe overall positive. I did have to return my first one last year, the one I have works well, just sometimes the night time pics are really dark. Not always, though. Not sure why. I'm satisfied with it, battery life is pretty good. It does video clips too. The deal my dad got ($80.00 at Bass Pro in Denham Springs) was really good, including memory cards and I think batteries too.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Redfish

Cash: 772

thanks Swampcritter. I appreciate the review - going to look around and see what kind of deal I can get.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Redfish

FlagUS

Hey Bohunterbiff, the Moultrie 4.0 has an external power jack for a solar panel, external battery, etc. I believe some guys use something like a small motorcycle or lawnmower battery. They put it in a container of some kind to keep it out of the weather, and you've got power basically all season. Here's another idea. I have a Moultrie myself, and recently I bought a second camera. I bought a Wildgame Innovations 1.3 mp camera from Walmart for $50.00. No frills, I just wanted a second camera on the cheap in case it got stolen. I won't win any photography awards with it, but it's adequate and gets the job done. I have some pics from it on this site. They're on the thread I started called "New to this site" if you want to check them out. Feel free to leave a comment or two. Good luck. Hope you get some mud on your tires and blood on your tailgate!