SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 12-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Banned

Default O/U for waterfowl

Any of you duck hunters still shooting a good double gun? I shot a browning citori O/U at ducks and geese for a long time. Also used a 20 gauge Ithaca/skb side by side for ducks.

Just wondering why auto's have taken over...? That third shot is wasted a lot of times anyways.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,525

The revolution man!! Gas/Inertia autos are softer on the shoulder with the magnum loads. Everyone knows you need 3 1/2" BB's to kill a teal at 15 yds. Bigger is always better, right? I mean you can't kill a duck with just a 2 3/4" #4, right?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
Any of you duck hunters still shooting a good double gun? I shot a browning citori O/U at ducks and geese for a long time. Also used a 20 gauge Ithaca/skb side by side for ducks.

Just wondering why auto's have taken over...? That third shot is wasted a lot of times anyways.
My third shot is never wasted lol
Old 12-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

If you are good you only have to shoot 2 rounds of ducks with a auto and 3 rounds with a o/u
Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Banned

I should have known everyone here was an expert wingshooter who always pulls off triples.....
Old 12-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
I should have known everyone here was an expert wingshooter who always pulls off triples.....
Its called practice
Old 12-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned

I shoot a Browing Citori 12ga also on ducks... 26" barrels, complete set of Briley Titanium drop in tubes, 20ga, 28ga, & .410
Old 12-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default I Do

50th anniversery Ruger 20 Gauge O/U, awesome gun for doves and teal ducks. It will knock em down if you pull the trigger at the right time.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

I sure do love my black eagle 2 and of course I waste the third shell but I also figure that I buy the shells to shoot them not to collect them, sometimes it's not until the third shot that I hit something. I have my good days and my horribly bad, can't hit a barn at 10 yard days.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet View Post
I sure do love my black eagle 2
That's my goose /crane gun...
Old 12-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

I need all the rounds I can get....I shoot a Benelli Super Nova pump.....BTW, I have a black Benelli SBE2 that I bought in 2004 and is in great shape that I am looking to sell....I have all 5 chokes and case.....

BTW, I never pulled 3 out of 3 but many times I got 2 out of 3 with a lot of kills being on my 3rd shot...
Old 12-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
I need all the rounds I can get....I shoot a Benelli Super Nova pump.....BTW, I have a black Benelli SBE2 that I bought in 2004 and is in great shape that I am looking to sell....I have all 5 chokes and case.....

BTW, I never pulled 3 out of 3 but many times I got 2 out of 3 with a lot of kills being on my 3rd shot...
How much you want for it? Pics?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

I will get my wife to post a pic....I am not high tech enough to do that....They still sell for 1,400 plus tax for the black syn...I priced one yesterday just to see...I will PM you.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:28 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

i got a savage model 1935.........its old skool but its huge and nasty wit it....its a side by side..i use it every now and then..its a beast of a gun.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I shot an old Winchester pump for 20 years. It broke and I couldn't get a part to fix it, so I went to a Remington 870 Express cause most people I hunted with shot them. Didn't like it.
So I tested a Beneli Nova and liked it so I bought one.
I hunted ducks every day except for New Years day, cause of hang overs. I didn't want to buy a high dollar shiny gun that had to have a lot of attention paid to it every hunt.
I set it on the floor of the boat and hauled butt to the blind, shot a lot thru it, set it back on the floor of the boat and hauled butt back in. Oiled and set up against the wall in the camp. No take apart, nothing fancy. Just a rag and a can of oil.
I like the Nova cause of the red sight. It is so much better than the old BB sight on my older shotguns. Made it a lot easier to kill early ducks.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I shot an old Winchester pump for 20 years. It broke and I couldn't get a part to fix it, so I went to a Remington 870 Express cause most people I hunted with shot them. Didn't like it.
I hunted ducks every day except for New Years day, cause of hang overs. I didn't want to buy a high dollar shiny gun that had to have a lot of attention paid to it every hunt.
I set it on the floor of the boat and hauled butt to the blind, shot a lot thru it, set it back on the floor of the boat and hauled butt back in. Oiled and set up against the wall in the camp. No take apart, nothing fancy. Just a rag and a can of oil.
I like the Nova cause of the red sight. It is so much better than the old BB sight on my older shotguns. Made it a lot easier to kill early ducks.
I like them big old green ones,fits right on your vent rib
Old 12-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
I didn't want to buy a high dollar shiny gun that had to have a lot of attention paid to it every hunt.
That's why I got a BPS
Old 12-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Man you dont need them red dots for early shots. Thats what your 1st shot is for; lights up the whole pond.

JJ the fiber optic sights help keep my head on my gun.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 887

I shot a Browning O/U and have for the past 40 years for ducks.....only wish I had that 3rd shot a few times ...shooting a double makes you take your time...also use a Browning side by side for quail hunting and also used it for skeet tournaments,....had it bored to no choke in one barrel and 1/1000 choke in the other..point and shot, they folded...
Old 12-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
I didn't want to buy a high dollar shiny gun that had to have a lot of attention paid to it every hunt.

I bet a good O/U will beat that Nova in a torture test