SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Banned

Default Browning rifles

I am looking at to get a new deer rifle for next season and am seriously considering a Browning A or X bolt. Does anyone have one and can give some feedback on them or any other deer rifle out there.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Rem 700
Old 03-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Banned

if your looking for a turn-key rifle, 600 dollar range, look at tikka t3

browning/winchester made by FN, great guns with elegant finish on the medallions. try CDNN sports for a good price.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cdnn/CDNN2010-1.pdf

for a hunting gun all of your major manufacturers are gonna get tighter than you can in the field. save your loot for the glass
Old 03-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

I have the 270 A-Bolt Medallion and I love it. It's very smooth and has been put through alot. I have been using the gun for about 10 years and if ever something happens to it I will definately get another one just like it.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
Rem 700
Which one is best for deer? There several different models. I'm to special to figure out the differences(or to lazy today).
Old 03-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Ling

well really just depends, you trying to snipe deer or just regular deer hunting. really just feel a few and see what tickles your fancy. they all going to perform good, just pick the one that fits you and you like and go with it. If you looking into long range then get something with the heavy barrel. My dad and I both shoot older 700adl in .270 and they are great. really accurate and not one single bad thing to say about em. I also have a 700P in .308 that I have recently been using and it is great as well. Im sharpening up my skills this off season and gonna try to take one out at 500-600yds this season with the 308

Last edited by FF_T_Warren; 03-10-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 685

I have a browning A-Bolt 300 win mag Satinless stalker and i love it. It's light and suprisingly it does not kick that much.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 809

Buy a Browning. You won't regret it, definately one of the best guns out there. I have been shooting a .270 browning auto for 25 years and never had one problem, also have a .270 wsm A-Bolt and like it. Plan on getting the .325 WSM X-Bolt soon.
Dont but a Remington. That is garbage.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJ View Post
hardly garbage, however, the big green isn't what it used to be but they still make some fine rifles. i bought a new sps dm on impulse and i have to admit the workmanship is so so. i have an older 700 with a jeweled bolt that feels much better than the new one.

the BAR blows the remmy auto's away no doubt, but even the BARs are hit and miss, not all of them are shooters.

savage rifles have come a long long way recently also.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:57 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it October YET? View Post
I am looking at to get a new deer rifle for next season and am seriously considering a Browning A or X bolt. Does anyone have one and can give some feedback on them or any other deer rifle out there.
I have the 30-06 X bolt..I have hunted with it 2 seasons...

Killed 2 deer with it...lol..but that was last season..

I think it's a nice gun, no complaints and sweet shooting...
Old 03-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

A-bolts & X-bolts are fine rifles, just like anything else, look around & pickup as many as possible & find what you like & don't like then make your decision from there. You won't be happy if you're not comfortable.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJ View Post
That is garbage. I just read a post somewhere the other day where a guy had a browning rifle and the stupid thing was keyholing at 300yds. When the guy contacted browning they said they will only guarantee it to 100yds. YEA thats something I wanna go with. Browning all the way
Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Like LAAngler said, Tikka is a great gun for the price. They are made by Sako and are gaurunteed to shoot a 1" group out the box.

I have an Abolt 300 WSM with a boss and Zeiss Conquest 4-12x50 and I love it. I couldn't tell u the last time I didn't drop a deer in it's tracks! It extremely light cause of the short action and recoil is minimal because of the boss. But beware! It is one loud mudda!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Banned

Next question is where is a good place to go see some of these rifles. Any place with multiple selection and good price. I am in the New Orleans area but will to to BR if need be.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:22 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

i have to say when choosing a rifle no matter what brand try to go with a common caliber exp. 30-06, 270 7mm. the bullets are alot cheaper and much easier to find. I shoot a 30-06 rem 700 love it. my brother in law has an a bolt 300 short mag. he has hell finding bullets and they are outrageous......as far as his gun he loves it but he don't shoot that regular either.

the reason i like the 700 is there is so much you can do to them to custimize. they are very accurate and dependable
Old 03-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Don't know much about the N.O. area, but Jims Firearms on Siegen Lane has a ton of rifles to look at. You can go to Cabela's or Bass Pro but won't get much help with the knowledge part from the guys behind the counter. Jim's seem to have some guys with alot of knowledge of the guns they sell.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Swordfish

Isn't there a place called Pouglia's right by New Orleans? I heard they got some sweet deals!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Ling

yea, Im not hugely familiar with new orleans, but I know puglias sells guns, never been in there but from their sale ads seems that they have a good selection.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
yea, Im not hugely familiar with new orleans, but I know puglias sells guns, never been in there but from their sale ads seems that they have a good selection.
Yeh same here!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

The Browning X-Bolt is a nice rifle and is getting really good reviews. They tend to shoot exceptionally well. They are light and have a very nice recoil pad on them. I like the synthetic/stainless version.

The folks that have recommended the Tikka rifles have not steered you wrong. There is simply not a better bargain out there for a rifle that is guaranteed to shoot less than an inch right out of the box. Most of them actually shoot much better than one inch; they are simply amazing for the money.

The Sako A7 guarantees a five shot one inch group out of the box too. They are a little nicer than the Tikkas and resale will probably be a little higher. They are running just over $500 on Gunbroker.com.

I have been a Remington man all my life, but right now I truly think they are having trouble competing.

The Ruger Hawkeye is also a really nice rifle.