SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Old 01-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 513
Thumbs down Too Late, New Area 10

Ok, still new to the site! And i know it's too late to worry about it now, but why did the State create new Deer Hunt Areas? And why did they put us in area-10 back on limited Doe-Days? I only get to hunt week-ends and holidays and don't have the time or the opportunity to hunt enough to take many deer at all! I work for a living and pay the same price for my licenses and enjoy eating deer as much as hunting deer. If this was a Doe population issue, maybe not enough doe's left after hurricanes? Then why didnt they just limit us to 2 doe's , but let us take them when the opportunity came? Could a state biologist chime in here? Sorry, just noticed this was the Fish Talk topic!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Well, I'm not an expert on the subject (I know a few guys that are), but ill take a crack at it.

If you think about the comparison of doe days versus reduced limit, there is a big difference.

By reducing the limit and leaving the season as is, you still leave the opportunity to harvest a lot of does. Plus, I doubt you would see them lower the limit in one part of the state. I wish they would go to something similar to Texas with limits based on different parts of the state, but we will see if that happens.

By going to limited doe days, you limit the number of opportunities to take does out of the population. It may not be that doe numbers have declined severely either. It could be the fawn mortality that dictated it. If the mortality rate has been high, they might want to try and reduce the doe harvest to increase recruitment. Like I said, I'm no expert, just a couple of hypotheses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 513

Ahhhh ! Mortality rates of fawns could possibly be the issue. Sounds logical, thanks.