SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion > Hunting Reports

Hunting Reports Read and share your hunting reports here!

Old 11-29-2016, 12:34 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,329
Default Thanksgiving Week Hunting

This will be a little long with some history before the report. Over the last few years, my family has had to deal with several medical issues that has stressed us out and taken a great toll on everybody. It started with one of my sisters getting brain cancer at age 25 two years ago. Once all her treatment was over and the doctors at MD Anderson gave us a clean bill of health, my Mom came down with cancer. We received her news the day after MD Anderson gave my sister the all clear. Over those last two years, my Dad has not been able to hunt much as he was doing what any loving Dad would do, take care of his wife and daughter. Thankfully we are a big family (6) kids and a close family who all believe in God and have a relationship with him or this would have broken us to pieces.

Fast forward to September of this year and my Mom and Sister are all going great and have been cancer free some time now. We are working on our food plots and everything is looking great for the year as we are starting to get some nice bucks on the camera. Come the opening weekend of teal season and Dad has a minor stroke while sleeping! The doc said it was from all the stress he is under the last few years and his blood pressure was high. (We are in the oilfield, so that doesn't help) As you can imagine, after going through the last few years, we just lost it seeing Dad in the hospital bed. He has been the steady rock that has kept this family together over the last few years. He has made a full recovery and by the start of duck season, he was back in the blind with my son, BIL and I for opening day. As you can see from the pic, it turned out to be a great opening day as we limited out with some good quality ducks!!

Fast forward to Monday, and Dad wanted to make another duck hunt. We made the hunt and came out with 9, a few short of our limit, but all in all was a good hunt. I had a hunt planned the next morning with a buddy of mine and he was invited to come along. He declined the hunt as he mentioned he was going kill "Nart" this afternoon and was going to be up too lake skinning him!! Nart is the name he gave a deer we had on camera last year. A piece of me just laughed as he said it and I said no problem. If it worked like that, we would all have monsters hanging on the wall. Well low and behold, he did just what he said he was going to do. About 15 mins before dark Monday afternoon, he text me that he had just shot Nart. He weighted 260 lbs and scored 170-7/8". He is the best deer Dad has killed so far.

With all this said, we had a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. I'm thankful I got to spend more time with my family in the woods and at the camp doing what we all love to do. Hug your Mom and Dad as things change in a split second without any warning.

FYI, the tag on the horns is his DMAP tag, not a pen raised deer.

Josh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4584.jpg (137.4 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6234.JPG (175.3 KB, 221 views)
Old 11-29-2016, 12:46 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Nice story and a great buck.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:34 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,169

What a great post. My youngest son had a major head injury and surgery three weeks ago, my world came to a stop. I'm glad everyone is your family is so strong and you guys are able to share the outdoors together.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:13 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Awesome report. Glad everyone is doing fine.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:42 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,296

To GOD be the Glory! Glad everything working out for your family. Great looking string of ducks & awesome buck!
Old 12-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 455

Glad everything is working out for your family God bless them ! Good post thanks.