SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-26-2017, 01:07 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 298
Default Surf fishing help

Hey y'all,
I'm from Opelousas, LA and am gonna be taking a trip down to the Holley Beach area to do some camping and fishing this weekend. I've only ever gone in winter before and only to fish for bull reds. I'd like to try to catch some specks/slot reds or whatever gives us a few hook ups. Any advice on what to do/look for/how to rig would be appreciated. No boat so shore/wade fishing is a must.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:57 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

20 mph south wind all weekend. Could probably catch few flounder/reds/crabs off the weirs between Hackberry and Holly Beach but it's gonna be full of people. But it would probably be your only option to catch a few fish without a boat this weekend.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:52 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228

last week I caught several reds wade fishing ship channel by old pogy plants and boat launch by ferry. Was only able to keep two that were just over 16". on the way back I stopped and fished the west cove recreation spot and finished off my limit of reds. Those three were 18". Did not catch a speck but soon, if not now, they will be running ship channel by pogy plants. Its hard to find a place to park and almost need 4x4 to do so but can be great speck fishing when it turns on. Fishing the actual surf on the beach will be tough unless there has been a north wind for 2-4 days to aloow it to clear up. had awesome trips last year off little florida in Johnson bayou. If u can only fish holy beach I would recommend using a pretty good size surf rod with either cut bait or live mullet and wade out as far as u can and then throw out as far as u can then walk back to the bank and wait for bull red to take it. they do catch bull reds there in that muddy water. good luck
Old 05-26-2017, 08:14 PM
Redfish

Cash: 773

I find fishing to be better west of little Florida between long beach and Maes beach. Bottom drops off faster and stays less muddy.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:17 PM
Redfish

Cash: 969

Bulls are usually readily available on double rigged cut mullet on any of those beaches. I've never had much luck on specks or slot reds in the surf, but I've been unable to time it to where there was decent water. I'll totally be using that above tip on hitting the area near the pogie plant. I have a four wheel drive and no boat. Sounds like that spot is up my alley!