SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Trading Floor (Investing, Stocks, Bonds)

The Trading Floor (Investing, Stocks, Bonds) Discuss investing and investments here! Do your own due diligence before investing. We are not responsible for any advice or recommendations within this forum!

Old 11-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,071
Default GPRO

I know many of SaltyCajun have a Go Pro. I was researching the product and noticed it is publicly traded so I looked into it a little. Seems like a solid company and the stock is beat down...

Company seems for have solid cash flows, lots of cash of hand, no debt, low P/E and other finer points.

Down side is many investors think it is a short term item and will fizzle.

What do y'all think?
Old 11-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

I agree. They are so cool when don't have one. But then when you do it's not so cool. I bought one used it 3 times and been in my drawer for years. I don't think they will ever go under but as far as the stock exploding I doubt it
Old 11-03-2015, 08:55 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Seems like they give away more cameras than they sell.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:01 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,071

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Seems like they give away more cameras than they sell.

Their revenues are over 1 billion
Old 11-03-2015, 10:39 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
I agree. They are so cool when don't have one. But then when you do it's not so cool. I bought one used it 3 times and been in my drawer for years. I don't think they will ever go under but as far as the stock exploding I doubt it
They serve their purpose. Can't expect awesome shots from a gopro past a certain distance or in low light. They're really not made for that. They've improved low light settings, so that helps if you use it for hunting etc. They come out with a new model every year seems like, but the latest is just a smaller version with a few improvements. As long as the action sports (motocross, ski, etc.) are around they'll be around. Much bigger following from them than the hunting / fishing community, although if you watch a bass tournament you'll notice at least a few on each boat, and some pros have their biggest sponsorships from gopro. They have competitors, but none nearly as established as them. They use them a lot more than you'd think in professional productions, and they're used by police / military. I don't know squat about stocks, but they've got the market cornered for this type of stuff.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:56 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

i lost my *** on them when the stock tanked recently
Old 11-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

To me there like a portable DVD player, hot for a couple few year's and then you here nothing about them. Could be wrong just my thoughts.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:43 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

As the others said. A niche market without an eye to diversification. The company will tank and the product/brand name will be bought cheap. When next "thing" comes out. Look at Xerox.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

You can buy sports action cameras with Wifi with the same specs as GoPro for $60-$80 bucks on Amazon. I have one. And they work just as good as their $300 camera. Granted they are made in China. But I can buy 5 of them for 1 Gopro.

They won't be around much longer in my opinion.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:59 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
You can buy sports action cameras with Wifi with the same specs as GoPro for $60-$80 bucks on Amazon. I have one. And they work just as good as their $300 camera. Granted they are made in China. But I can buy 5 of them for 1 Gopro.

They won't be around much longer in my opinion.

Amazon.com : SJCAM Original SJ4000 WiFi Action Camera 12MP 1080P H.264 1.5 Inch 170 degree Wide Angle Lens Waterproof Diving HD Camcorder Car DVR (White) : Camera & [email]Photo

X2. I have the SJCAM 4000 wifi and was thinking the same exact thing when reading all this.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:20 AM
Flounder

Cash: 628

Polaroid thinks GoPro's new camera is a ripoff

GoPro's new tiny camera might be a ripoff.

According to CNBC, the company that holds exclusive rights to Polaroid’s instant- and action-product categories filed a patent-infringement lawsuit on Tuesday against the digital-camera maker over its Hero4 session model.

CNBC reported that C&A Marketing wants a court to award it all of GoPro's revenues from the camera, as well as lawyer fees.

GoPro launched the small Hero4 session camera in July. Analysts at Morgan Stanley noted that demand was quite weak, and the company slashed the camera's price by $100 just weeks after it launched.

We've reached out to GoPro for comment.

Shares fell by about 2% in early trading on Tuesday. They dropped to an all-time low last week after the company reported a miss on quarterly earnings, with weak guidance for fourth-quarter revenues.

Check out goproforums.com on tapatalk they have some awesome vids on there. It all depends how you edit and render your vids to make them look their best. I have an Intova Edge X use it underwater, dash cam, time lapse, and regular video you need to learn the correct settings to get excellent results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2015, 08:20 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

I didnt know there was a china version of the Gpro.... Looks like ill have to get me a couple of them....
Old 11-04-2015, 08:37 AM
Flounder

Cash: 628

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
I didnt know there was a china version of the Gpro.... Looks like ill have to get me a couple of them....

Like this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbum View Post
I have a knockoff brand (emerson maybe?) that I got for a gift that I've never used. It didn't come with mounts and doesn't fit the gopro attachments, so I've never even turned it on. This one pictured here looks similar to the gopro mounts though. Anyone know if they make a cheaper one that is interchangeable with gopro?
Old 11-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909

The last Garmin virb was nice, it was a different form factor and had way more features... Of course Garmin didn't advertise it well and it took a while for people to discover it. By time people started to discover the virb was just as good or better than gopro and had better methods to attach Garmin decided to release a new model that is a knock off of a GOpro
Old 11-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Trophy Trout

I'm not sure if the GoPro and SJCAM waterproof case is the same, but all of the attachments are.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:48 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibb View Post
I'm not sure if the GoPro and SJCAM waterproof case is the same, but all of the attachments are.

It's probably the same firmware and guts inside too. Those Chinese steal technology all the time.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:55 PM
Trophy Trout

Probably so. I believe GoPro is made in China even though, it's a US company.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Trophy Trout

Default GPRO

If anyone decides to go with SJCAM search YouTube on how to spot a fake. Even the fakes have fakes out there.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibb View Post
If anyone decides to go with SJCAM search YouTube on how to spot a fake. Even the fakes have fakes out there.
Well I went and found my knockoff cam, and it was bought at bath and body works so..