SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 09-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 647
Default M1 Garand knowledge

If I can ever help any of you with the M1 Garand, just let me know. I'm far from an expert compared to others out there, but I'm a self taught smith and I have learned a lot about this particular rifle over the years.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:50 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

I dont Know Much about it..but i do know that my Paw Paw Is a Decorated Korean War Veteran/Hero..He Won 2 Purple Hearts a distinguished service cross,and silver star..these are just the ones ive seen before in his house..supposidly according to my uncle he jumped on a grenade and lived....and also crazilly took out a strategicly placed machine gun nest before he jumped on a grenade...and saved about 10 of his company from death and injury...He passed away last winter at the age of 78.... Sgt. E.J. Landry U.S. Army...

But I do remember alot before he lost his leg due to illness....he was a huntin fool...and he always hunted with his M1...The same one from korea supposidly..he had a M1 and a Thompson all his life and are still sittin at maw maws house..but i remember as a lil boy hed tell me storys about his M1 and that it was his Best friend for 2 years ..and all..this..that gun must of killed over 1000 deer in its day...i used to shoot it a few years back..now im not even sure if it works...i imagine it does..it has always been soo well taken care of over the years...well i just thought id share an interesting life story with yall since i cant sleep out here..
Old 09-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 647

Very cool HH. General Patton called the M1, "The greatest battle implement ever devised." A fitting tool for our greatest generation to conquer the forces of darkness during WWII, and Communism during the Cold War. Whenever I touch a Garand, I think, "If only this rifle could talk and tell me the stories of the brave soldiers and marines who carried her."

The reason I got into M1s was their history. Once you shoot one, you never forget it.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:25 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Ya man i remember shooting that thing...and you aint lyin if it could talk id prolly have to fix some popcorn and drinks to listen...i cant wait to make it home now to get it and check it out..
Old 09-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

"If only this rifle could talk and tell me the stories of the brave soldiers and marines who carried her."

I can't help but think the same thing when I see a classic military arm like that. I am without words for that generation.

I came across an elder man in Arbys the other day. He was with his son. He was wearing a hat stating 3rd Marine Division. He also had tags on like he had been to a reunion or something. I had to shake his hand and think him for his service. A moment that gave me chills. A kind man that had million mile eyes.

Anyway, great story of your Paw Paw! That is a great generation. I'm glad you have those stories of him. My great grandpa, a WWII vet, passed away before I was old enough to realize the importance of his life and stories. We're losing more and more of them daily.