SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978
Default Deer Meat

How do yall bleed out your deer meat milk or ice water and why?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley123 View Post

I have tried all of the above and even used 7-up. I soak with milk or 7-up for a couple days before cooking for my wife if she is eating it. After soaking with milk or 7-up it seems most of the wild taste is out and wife will eat it. I will drain it couple of times to clean the blood. I soak with ice water to get it clean to make my sausage- it still has a wild taste this way.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Deer meat is deer meat no matter what you soak it in. Have left it in icechest with ice & plenty of water for up 7 days. Outside is real light & You can cut into a hind quater, backstrap or whatever & it's gonna be dark inside which is blood. Have left them hang in walk in cooler for 7 days & all of it is dark with blood. It all taste the same......taste Like deer meat, It's a mind thing! Now what you soak it in................Ice water, coke or acid may change the texture & help break it down some so it's a little more tender but you're not gonna change the taste.

A deer taste like deer
duck taste like duck
dog taste like dog
unless you add a ton of seasoning & then it taste like seasoning
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 10,458

Quote:
Marinate in Italian salad dreesing for 3 days prior to cooking,then rinse it off season and cook,it takes most of the wild taste out.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 437

I cover mine in ice for 3-4 days in an ice chest after I skin it. I drain it everyday and add more ice if needed. When I process the meat, I remove all the white I can off of the meat. I don't do anything special when I cook it. It is all in the process of processing the meat when harvested. My deer meat doesn't have a wild game taste at all. My wife and kids love it and say it tastes like beef.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

i never soak my deer in anything. If i want beef I'll buy beef. soaking it in water will remove some but not all the blood. would you soak your rack of ribeye or your beef tenderloin in milk/water for a week before eating it? I think not.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Tell you what, you give me your deer meat and I will give you some pork or beef.... its a deer so it should taste like a deer, by soaking you take a chance of it spoiling or getting sour. If you want to just appease the wife soak it in milk a few hrs and show her the pink milk.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Trophy Trout

was just curious to what some of yall do with deer meat and as far as the wife goes she will eat it whatever way I cook it or starve
Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Hope she never gets a salty handle cause if she reads that I will be under the dog house
Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
was just curious to what some of yall do with deer meat and as far as the wife goes she will eat it whatever way I cook it or starve

Now as far as cooking it.........Most of ours is cut into roast, cubed into stew meat, it makes a mean soup or put into crockpot. Backstraps & loins are froze whole to fry. Ground meat I don't mix with anything such as pork. If it needs oil I add Olive oil.
Any of you guys have a George Foreman grill? Straight ground deer meat (no pork) makes some awesome hamburgers on it! They dont dry out. Don't know how but they don't.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,268

Quote:
Hope she never gets a salty handle cause if she reads that I will be under the dog house
Lol!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

I'd never waste milk like that! and as far as the meat, keep it in an ice chest and drain the water out every day and add more ice every time you drain it, for a few days.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,364

Soak it in water if you want dry meat. You want to keep the blood its moisture. Moisture ruins the texture. Treat venison as you would beef. I wrap mine in trash bags and age it in an ice chest for about 7 days. I put a brick under the chest and leave drain open. I prefer to shoot young deer to eat. 60 to 80 # is ideal. If i shoot a deer over 100# its ground meat and sausage.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

I used to soak, drain, soak, drain, ice, a little vinegar...............and all that other crap. Now, I clean the deer, I remove the backstrap, I cook the deer. Screw all that other stuff. It's deer meat, learn how to cook it because it is suppose to taste like deer. We eat deer and hog meat multiple times a week and even mix regular ground deer with beef 50/50 for tacos, and such.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerfarmer View Post
I cover mine in ice for 3-4 days in an ice chest after I skin it. I drain it everyday and add more ice if needed. When I process the meat, I remove all the white I can off of the meat. I don't do anything special when I cook it. It is all in the process of processing the meat when harvested. My deer meat doesn't have a wild game taste at all.
I do the same.

The only reason I leave my deer meat in the ice chest for a few days is because after a day of hunting and then skinning and cutting up the meat, is to hunt another day or I take a day or two to rest.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Flounder

Cash: 661

I usually soak mine in butter milk if im going to fry it. Last year my brother told me to leave the deer in the ice chest three day and cover with ice, drain, and repeat. I did, but didnt like how the meat came out. Diferent texture. I may do it again with what im making into sausage, but not the back strap.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 605

Pass on the buck and shoot the doe - they taste much better.