SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Kayak and Canoe Forum

Kayak and Canoe Forum Discuss non-motorized watersport activities here, including kayaking, canoeing, etc.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 570
Default pirougue coating

I'm going to coat mine with either fiberglass or some type of resin. West system is gonna run around $200. Fiberglass resin for a gallon is $50. I can do fiberglass no problem. Anyone have any opinions?
Old 12-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Redfish

Cash: 829

Get epoxy resin and hardener from Raka, Inc. in Florida (772.489.4070). A gallon of epoxy and a half gallon of hardener, $110 plus shipping, should be plenty to cover your pirouge in fiberglass with plenty left over (you may be able to get by with half of that). It doesn't go bad, just keep it from freezing. If it sets up in the jug due to being cold set it in some warm water. If you want to use it now, 50 degrees, get the fast hardener. If you use it above 70 degrees get the slow hardener to give yourself more working time.

Raka also sells the fiberglass cloth and any additives you might want. I used 4 oz. cloth on the bottom of mine and up about 4". I also used it over the ribs in 6" widths to spread out the load. If you are gluing the pirouge together you can add wood flour to make it thicker so it doesn't run. Also used in making fillets when you are are covering a corner with fiberglass so the fiberglass doesn't trap air underneath. Epoxy is not UV resistant so coat it with some varnish or camo paint.

I am building a 17' boat and ordered 21 gallons of resin and hardener from Raka. Let me know if you need more info, glad to help. Glenn
Old 12-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 570

oh yea, locally cloth is 15$ a yard,$5 a yard from that web site