SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:34 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826
Default Title for boat trailer

For the last several months, I have been restoring my great-grandfathers 1980 Lowe 1648 semi-v. Now that I have got the boat where I want it and motor running, it's time to register the boat, motor and trailer.

I have the titles for the hull and the motor, but there is no title for the trailer. I have a notarized document from my father gifting me the motor, boat and trailer. The document states that the boat and motor are on a 1980 model trailer that does not have a manufacturers tag indicating the model or serial number. In Oklahoma (where boat and trailer were originally purchased new), trailers are not titled. All three were last registered in Texas where trailers are not titled as well.

What avenue do I need to pursue to get this trailer registered? It still has Texas plates which should give the history of registration for the trailer. Should I file for homemade trailer? What is my best avenue of approach toward getting this registered?

Here is the boat and trailer in question:
Old 04-30-2016, 09:33 AM
Flounder

Cash: 650

Call the license and registration office and give them the plate number and they should be able to tell you what it's registered as.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:32 PM
Flounder

Cash: 320

Good luck on getting it tagged as a homemade trailer. You better have receipts for everything if you hope to even have a chance. They wanted receipts for axles, bolts, springs, winch, and everything else when i tried.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:24 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfish View Post
Good luck on getting it tagged as a homemade trailer. You better have receipts for everything if you hope to even have a chance. They wanted receipts for axles, bolts, springs, winch, and everything else when i tried.
It's not homemade though. Everything is from 1980 from the dealership.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

I would call a title company like Southern or Pederson and tell them your situation, they would know exactly what your options are.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:03 PM
Sailfish

will call them monday, thanks pat
Old 05-01-2016, 02:04 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Babaz View Post
I would call a title company like Southern or Pederson and tell them your situation, they would know exactly what your options are.
I agree.... This would be the best place to start versus pulling a number to sit in line at the DMV only to be told they can't help you.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Can't help you with the title situation, but do you have a before pic of the boat? It looks damn good in that pic.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:04 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
I agree.... This would be the best place to start versus pulling a number to sit in line at the DMV only to be told they can't help you.
That's what I was looking to avoid, can be quite the stressful situation sitting at the DMV only to be told I don't have the right papers. Will call monday and hopefully once I get everything sorted out I will post up the results so if anyone ever comes across the same situation they will know how to handle it.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:05 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Can't help you with the title situation, but do you have a before pic of the boat? It looks damn good in that pic.
Was planning on making a thread about it here soon, just ordered a riptide 55SM and it should be in early next week!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:47 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

Not sure how titling in LA is, but in Texas if it's under 4000lbs you don't need to title it, you just need to register it.

Nice work on the refurb! it's a lot of work, you did a good job.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:46 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 651
Default I went through the same thing

My bad ... I typed all this below thinking you were trying to register a TX or OK boat in Louisiana ... sorry
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Bought a boat in TX ... it was originally sold in OK ... I never did get a plate for the trailer ...

The boat had several owners throughout OK then TX ... there was the original owner and then a boat/yacht sales place in OK, then the lady I bought it from in TX ... then me ...

I tried the 'lost title' thing - I forget why that didn't work, then I tried the homemade trailer route but one look at the trailer and the LSP said 'no way' ... back then you had to take it to the state police for them to inspect it ... but no matter, I was stuck with a trailer I couldn't register.

All I vividly remember is the tireless search for the MSO, ie, "manufacturer's statement of origin" ... but the trailer manufacturer was out of business ... the DMW would have been more helpful if I would have gotten my hands on that ...

Hopefully you will have better luck than me.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:44 AM
Flounder

Cash: 650

I have a boat trailer that's homemade that I bought from a fella who had never registered it. I went to the license and registration office and said I needed to register a homemade boat trailer and that's all there was to it. No receipts or weight ticket or anything. This was Southeast Texas.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:28 AM
Sailfish

Talked to Pederson Title, said I need latest registration on trailer from Texas. Was on hold with Texas DMV for 30 minutes and found all I needed was to fill out a form and send in cash. However, it was registered under my father so he's got to send off for it.

My father is a police officer so he said to hell with the wait time and is going to print something off today at work and scan and email it to me, should be able to register on my day off this friday. All Pederson needs is proof of ownership and registration in Texas before they can do anything for me. Thank yall for the help with the direction I needed to approach this.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:17 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

I thought you were talking about replacing that old trailer?
Old 05-03-2016, 08:18 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I saw first hand the before, during, and after on his project and I can Sammich definitely busted his *** on this boat. Gotta love when hard work pays off
Old 05-03-2016, 08:55 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck View Post
I thought you were talking about replacing that old trailer?
I've spent enough on it this year.