SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 09-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,084
Default ming yang

I know they're chinese knock offs but just wondering if anyone on here has messd around with one. Thinking about picking up one to fool around with.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

had no idea what the heck you were talking about... so i googled ming yang...

I am assuming your talking about the Ming Yang fishing reels... looks interesting, very similar look to the older style Abu Garcia's

Wonder if they are using decent quality components.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,084

Very similar to the abu Garcia's. Alot of people seem to love them. When they first came out they were $25. Now they have dont alot of tinkering and you can get tjem with boca bearings and upgraded drag washers. The older cl60a are on ebay for $40 shipped. The new cl60x are the upgraded ones. The mc500's look pretty sweet. Theres alot of talk about them on catfish forums
Old 09-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,319

Off another site

That is a link to the reel I have been testing since late January. It is the CL60A. I have these reels spooled with TC 65lb Tug o War, they are mounted on Tournament Choice Yellow rods. Total cost for the rig $60 (including line.)

The Good-
Low initial investment
All brass gears
Highly durable
Looks and feels just like older Abu
Parts are always available

The Bad-
Will not cast as far as Abu (10-15% shorter casts)
Drag is not the best (can not stop a 30lb blue in shallow water without using your thumb)
Only available online (must be shipped)
Clicker is weak

First thing I did when I received my 3 Ming Yang reels was take them apart and look at the gears. Anyone who has taken an older Abu 6000 apart will be at home. The reels are VERY similar. One thing I noticed was that the reel "guts" were covered in a thick grease. This had to be cleaned before the reel operated correctly (I have been told this is no longer the case.) The dual casting control is overrated. It took a little bit of adjusting to get the spool centered on the reel. I would prefer just the single casting control like on newer 6000 series reels. First trip I noticed shorter casts than my Abu's but nothing severe. The clicker on these reels is not the best, but better than the BCX. The story on the drag is as follows. Was fishing in HEAVY timber in the shallows. Hooked up with bluecat and got him beside the boat. The fish then realizes that he is hooked and peels drag. I botttomed the drag out and realized that it is not as stout as a Carbon Matrix drag system. I used my thumb to turn fish and managed to get him in. I would like to see a stouter drag in these reels. I have been told that they are testing new drag materials.

Bottom line is this-
I can get two complete rod and reel combo's that will handle almost any fish in fresh water for less than one Abu 6500C3. They are a good bargain reel, but not as good as a Swedish Abu. Much better quality than BCX!!!