SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 01-17-2012, 02:23 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607
Default New Rod and Reel

I am certain there has been a thread about this in the past but New equipment comes out all the time and I am interested in hearing everyone's input on different rods and reels. I understand everyone has their own preference I am just looking for some pros and cons of different set ups.

I have always fished with lower end gear (ambassador, Quantim, allstar Rods) but have been getting more serious into fishing these past two years and am ready to invest in a really nice rig for inshore salt water fishing.

Right now I plan to go with a Lew's TP1SH Reel and a 7' Stick em Rod (Not sure which model.)

Any advice is appreciated. I know someone in another thread said something about Shimano reels. Better than Lew's? More Expensive?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Never fished with the Lew's so I cant really comment on them. All my reels are shimano, baitcasting and spinning. Yes Shimano reels can be more expensive than the Lews but they can also be cheaper(you get what you pay for). The curados have always been a good reel, the new ones this year have gotten bad reviews but the new cronarchs are around the same price as the Lews and are very similar to the last curados.

As far as rods I fish topwater with a 6'6" medium action fast tip spinning rod, and I throw plastics with either a 7' or 6'6" M or ML. I have a 7' stickem ML rod and have been very happy with it. Other brands I own are shimano, kistler, and H&H

Stickem also just came out with a line of reels you might want to check them out. I fished with one the other day and was impressed
Old 01-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

heard mixed reviews on lews.. I hear one day they last in saltwater then the next never to put them near saltwater. I've been throwing a curado with a 7' medium action Falcon Bucoo. I think thats one of the best combos, especially for the price. Great for casting into the wind and that rod is unbelievable sensitive. I use PLINE Halo flourocarbon in 15lb test since I use it for bass too, but if your only fishing specs with the setup I'd go with 12lb test.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,782

You should come check our Duce Rod booth at the boat show this weekend. We have great rods and we carry all of lews reels.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
heard mixed reviews on lews.. I hear one day they last in saltwater then the next never to put them near saltwater. I've been throwing a curado with a 7' medium action Falcon Bucoo. I think thats one of the best combos, especially for the price. Great for casting into the wind and that rod is unbelievable sensitive. I use PLINE Halo flourocarbon in 15lb test since I use it for bass too, but if your only fishing specs with the setup I'd go with 12lb test.
I fish with Bucoo and Curado myself and love it. Got the Curado 50 on the Bucoo micro, talk about light!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:18 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

quantum exo is a good new reel per a few reviews...

i just bought a lews and i like it so far.. i dont plan on taking it to saltwater though..

the curado 200e7 would be your best bet if your can find any... ebay may stil have a few
Old 01-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Trophy Trout

I fish strictly salt water and havent had any problems with any of my lews reels.

Anthony Beslin
Duce Rods
(337) 458-0142
ducerods@hotmail.com
DuceRods.com
Old 01-17-2012, 04:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

so far so good with my Lews Tourney speed spool, its smmoth as butter on ice and casts a mile
Old 01-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

At less than $100, you'd be hard pressed to find more bang for your buck than a BuCoo.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
I am certain there has been a thread about this in the past but New equipment comes out all the time and I am interested in hearing everyone's input on different rods and reels. I understand everyone has their own preference I am just looking for some pros and cons of different set ups.

I have always fished with lower end gear (ambassador, Quantim, allstar Rods) but have been getting more serious into fishing these past two years and am ready to invest in a really nice rig for inshore salt water fishing.

Right now I plan to go with a Lew's TP1SH Reel and a 7' Stick em Rod (Not sure which model.)

Any advice is appreciated. I know someone in another thread said something about Shimano reels. Better than Lew's? More Expensive?

IMO Lew's makes a good reel, it's just that it hasn't been out long enough to give any real report on longevity of the parts in saltwater. add to that, i can't get my Lew's rep to say it's salt-safe. so in my eyes, it's designed for freshwater. if you take good care of your stuff and clean it all when you get in, the lew's may last quite a while. for now, the reports on it are good and i have had almost zero complaints on them.

BUT, if you want something that is proven to work, gets stellar reviews and is salt-safe, go with a Shimano Chronarch E7. they are nearly identical to the old CuradoE7 except in color(white and black) and price($20 more). I've used my Cu200E7's everywhere from the beach and jetties to toledo bend and they take all the abuse i can dish out! to me, Shimano is the best value in the case.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,604

I'm going to have to say go Shimano if you don't want to spend alot of money go on eBay and get you a shimano citica 200E great little reel for $100 to your door
You can still find the curados on there and around online for a decent price.
I love my chronarch and that's gonna be what I buy from now on until the next best thing from shimano rolls out
Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Shimano both rod and reel. Cant beat the in store return warranty on the rods, and the reels are some of the best there are.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjaredsandwich View Post
Shimano both rod and reel. Cant beat the in store return warranty on the rods, and the reels are some of the best there are.
X2.....Falcon buccoo is a bad azz rod for 100 bucks too though.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
X2.....Falcon buccoo is a bad azz rod for 100 bucks too though.
~80 for a clarus. If it ever breaks, replacement takes as long as the drive to the store.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Great White

Quote:
~80 for a clarus. If it ever breaks, replacement takes as long as the drive to the store.
Only thing I don't like about the clarus is the integrated reel seat. Makes the handle more bulky and less comfortable.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
At less than $100, you'd be hard pressed to find more bang for your buck than a BuCoo.
I believe I have something!! Our lews "laser" is the best real I use. It is also the cheapest. We sale them for $65.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Only thing I don't like about the clarus is the integrated reel seat. Makes the handle more bulky and less comfortable.
Compre for ~109, although I dont know what the reel seat is like.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Great White

Quote:
All of the new shimano rods have the integrated reel seat untill you get to the 200 plus class rods. Not a big deal if you have giant hands.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,604

I like the new reel seats, very cozy with a 50 series reel
Old 01-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
I have several compres. I really like em