SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:21 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Title/tax/registrstion question. Im selling a boat now and have had people tell me 10 different things on the topic . I bought my boat new with cash. With no lean, it was not necessary to title the boat and motor. Not sure how thst works out if someone wants to buy it from me and finance it. I know on a cash deal, a person could get creative with the bill of sale. If the boat is just registered and the registration is transfered over (no title involved) does the buyer have any taxes to pay?
Old 06-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Title/tax/registrstion question. Im selling a boat now and have had people tell me 10 different things on the topic . I bought my boat new with cash. With no lean, it was not necessary to title the boat and motor. Not sure how thst works out if someone wants to buy it from me and finance it. I know on a cash deal, a person could get creative with the bill of sale. If the boat is just registered and the registration is transfered over (no title involved) does the buyer have any taxes to pay?
According to the new law, who ever buys your boat will have to pay sales tax on whatever is on the bill of sale before they can get it registered with LDWF. I'm not sure how or where you pay these taxes. Maybe someone with experience can help.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:27 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray View Post
According to the new law, who ever buys your boat will have to pay sales tax on whatever is on the bill of sale before they can get it registered with LDWF. I'm not sure how or where you pay these taxes. Maybe someone with experience can help.
Louisiana Department of Revenue is the one who gets paid on this. Apparently you can do it online now. Before you had to go to Baton Rouge or New Orleans(only one day a week). Also in August its suppose to drop to only a 2% tax rate.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:51 PM
Red Snapper

Thinkimg back now, i believe titling a boat is optional but mandatory if there's a lien. Registration is necessary no matter what.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:37 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Boats 2010 or newer are titled. Also any boat that has been financed.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:08 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 565

This new BS law of paying tax on a used boat is for real. A friend bought a used boat and we went to Baton Rouge LDWF building to complete the paper work for the boat, the new law is posted all over the LDWF and went into effect on April 1 2016.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:33 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt coonassty View Post
Boats 2010 or newer are titled. Also any boat that has been financed.
You 100% sure?
Old 07-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 406

Just bought a used boat, looks like they having second thoughts now! Never had to pay sales tax since we had the previous edit registration and all showing the previous owners already paid the taxes. Said if the taxes have been paid once before already they was just treating them like a reg sale like the old days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2016, 08:42 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch87 View Post
Just bought a used boat, looks like they having second thoughts now! Never had to pay sales tax since we had the previous edit registration and all showing the previous owners already paid the taxes. Said if the taxes have been paid once before already they was just treating them like a reg sale like the old days.

Your luck day....... next person might charge you the tax.

You never know what to expect in Louisiana when something has changed.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:34 PM
Redfish

Cash: 739

Any new updates ...... I just bought a used boat and was heading to Baton Rouge Monday to finish paperwork ...... Anyone know if I can or have to pay taxes there?

Old 07-17-2016, 11:10 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 858

This has me concerned as well. I just paid cash for mine last week. I hope all I have to pay is what I actually gave for all of it. My boss was explaining this to me this past week, this is stressful....lol.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:35 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 515

You'll have to show proof of the taxes being paid in order to register the boat in your name.

I'm in the process of doing this now. When I called about it, they told me that there wasn't an online option. I mailed in my form and tax payment along with copies of the previous owner's registration and BOS. Once they send the completed form back to me, I'll have to send it to LAWL&F to finish my registration process.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:38 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 507

Here's the link to the Ldr website. Says you can email it with the form. Also the form says it's a 2% tax and in 2018 it goes to 0% tax
http://revenue.louisiana.gov/Individ...atRegistration

Old 07-17-2016, 11:41 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 507
Default Sales tax now charged on used boats

Old 07-17-2016, 03:35 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Just went Thursday to BR to 617 N. 3rd St to pay mine. If you purchased a boat between April 1 and July 1 you have to pay sales tax no matter what. After July 1 it went back to old rules. If you have to use the BR tax location then brush up on your Ebonics. Seems that Southern University must have a career pipeline into that place.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Redfish

Thanks for the replies ......

Old 07-18-2016, 05:29 PM
Redfish

Default Got it Done

I had to drive to Baton Rouge so I decided to go by the Wildlife and Fisheries office to try and get boat registered. Its and old pontoon boat that I bought from an estate of a deceased neighbor of mine. I had all the paperwork i though I needed but figured with the new tax issues I would have trouble. To my surprised I walked in, handed nice lady behind the glass my papers and a few minutes later the boat was registered in my name. No taxes paid and no issues with the seller being deceased. It is unusual to walk into a government building and get good service with a smile on everyones face. Restores my faith in humanity!
Old 07-21-2016, 07:25 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,468

I've gone thru the process twice this year. Last time the lady at the calcasieu parish school board tax office informed me that the states allowing local tax offices to receive payment and sign the tax form that has to be sent to LDWF.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:30 PM
Redfish

As of July 1 they have stopped collecting tax on used person to person sales. I suspect they will regroup and we will be paying taxes again soon

Old 07-21-2016, 09:57 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,825

Quote:
Originally Posted by wed68 View Post
I had to drive to Baton Rouge so I decided to go by the Wildlife and Fisheries office to try and get boat registered. Its and old pontoon boat that I bought from an estate of a deceased neighbor of mine. I had all the paperwork i though I needed but figured with the new tax issues I would have trouble. To my surprised I walked in, handed nice lady behind the glass my papers and a few minutes later the boat was registered in my name. No taxes paid and no issues with the seller being deceased. It is unusual to walk into a government building and get good service with a smile on everyones face. Restores my faith in humanity!
That's good too hear. There are still a bunch of good workers out there mixed with the bad.