SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:09 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962
Default Good Article on RS.

Guys..

Please take the time to read this...

U all should start to realize this is going to hurt EVERYONE that fish's.. Period..

Well all should be calling for Sec. Melancon to RESIGN.........

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=9793
Old 07-15-2016, 11:56 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

I watched the LWF commission meeting last week and Melancon emphatically said he ABSOLUTELY supports state management of red snapper (says that in the article as well). The issue he has with the bill (also stated in the article) is supporting an unfunded mandate. If the feds strip funding away, then where is the money going to come from? In the article, some of the other states are assuming that federal $ will still be there, but no one really knows for sure. Hate to have to find $ for something AFTER a bill passes.

Would like to see LAS and/or Todd Masson actually show both sides of the story and interview Melancon. Melancon mentioned a nola.com article and that he was upset with it.

Thats my very unbiased take on the situation
Old 07-15-2016, 03:02 PM
Flounder

Cash: 518

They could allocate some funds from this new bull**** where we have to pay State Taxes on a private sale of boats and motors now.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:01 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

Thought they raised the price for fishing license for this?
Old 07-15-2016, 04:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcutta37 View Post
Thought they raised the price for fishing license for this?
That was to fund other programs, like the saltwater fish hatcheries that were planned. Don't know if those are still in the works or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2016, 05:12 PM
Red Snapper

DB.

They came out with a slide show and showed dollars it would cost to manage RS... They saying $10 MILLION.. Which IS F ing BS... Also a million for enforcement.. The Col. indicated they would have to enforce out to 200 miles... They are already enforcing RS..

They can do that at the Landings.... The Sec started spouting red rick straightout of the Commercials Mouths...

He wants yo leave it up to the GULF Council to fix this.. Here's a news Flash.. We've been trying that for YRS... It doesn't WORK...

There were a guide that also that has a commercial quota... He is offering Catch Share Charters..

He will take U out.. U can catch any amount of snapper U want with his quota.. U pay nothing for the trip...

U then come in and sell the snapper to a seafood buyer such as Katie's Seafood owned by the Sealord Buddy Guinden.. Of Big Fish Texas Fame...

U then buy the snapper U caught, as many #'s as U want, from Katies Seafood at their retail price...

But he is getting this quota for free..

This whole system is so currupt.. It's not even funny... BTW.. All those commercials, that were there to speak from Texas and Florida.. Don't pay their own way......

EDF(Environmental Defense Fund) pays all their way to go to meetings... All of them there...

Just come to a Gulf Council Meeting.. NOTHING GETS DONE... The Commercials have all the RS.,, But it's a public resource...They don't want the Recreational's to have any....
Old 07-15-2016, 05:42 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
DB.

They came out with a slide show and showed dollars it would cost to manage RS... They saying $10 MILLION.. Which IS F ing BS... Also a million for enforcement.. The Col. indicated they would have to enforce out to 200 miles... They are already enforcing RS..

They can do that at the Landings.... The Sec started spouting red rick straightout of the Commercials Mouths...

He wants yo leave it up to the GULF Council to fix this.. Here's a news Flash.. We've been trying that for YRS... It doesn't WORK...

There were a guide that also that has a commercial quota... He is offering Catch Share Charters..

He will take U out.. U can catch any amount of snapper U want with his quota.. U pay nothing for the trip...

U then come in and sell the snapper to a seafood buyer such as Katie's Seafood owned by the Sealord Buddy Guinden.. Of Big Fish Texas Fame...

U then buy the snapper U caught, as many #'s as U want, from Katies Seafood at their retail price...

But he is getting this quota for free..

This whole system is so currupt.. It's not even funny... BTW.. All those commercials, that were there to speak from Texas and Florida.. Don't pay their own way......

EDF(Environmental Defense Fund) pays all their way to go to meetings... All of them there...

Just come to a Gulf Council Meeting.. NOTHING GETS DONE... The Commercials have all the RS.,, But it's a public resource...They don't want the Recreational's to have any....
I am very aware of all that is going on with the rs corruption. I watched the podcast. Saw you and another SC member get up and speak which was great. Really state needs to take over the management. Melancon is adamant about that also. The problem seems to be with the money. The previous (barham) administration is saying they did a cost analysis. The head of marine fisheries up and resigns out of nowhere. The new director says there was no cost estimate ever done.

I was hoping to see Garrett Graves himself show up and speak at the meeting. Would have cleared things up with both folks in the room

Let me link one of my old posts if I can that shows the discrepancies from the previous and current administration.

Something is fishy.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:47 PM
Ling

Read post 6 which is from the LAS article

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion: SW LA items for LDWF meeting - SaltyCajun.com

Here is the article http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=9773

Talks about the LA Creel program also
Old 07-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,156

50 years ago (yes you heard me right) we used to go out in party boats in Florida for snapper. The fishing in my mind was rigged(they would only let you catch a few at the good spots). Most Snapper were less than 2 lbs and we did good to catch 2-3 fish/no limit. No doubt, pressure is a factor. Yes we have more structure, but part of the reason it's so good in La. is the short season.

La. needs to reapportion the commercial vs. recreational harvest.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:11 AM
Red Snapper

Duck Butter.. Do U really thing The FinFish Director RESIGNED OUT OF NO WHERE?????

I can assure U he didn't Resign...

JR Chips... IF you think 50 yrs ago..There wasn't Tons of RS at EVERY Rig??? We would go out 5-10 miles out of rollover... We could catch 500-600# of RS in 6 hr fishing trip...That was back when there was not limit...

We would leave New Iberia, at 4 am after getting ice at the ICE House... 100# blks.. We get them crushed... Ice up the big boat. Off we'd go... Because the Intracoastal at Forked Island and Schonner bayou had ferry's we had to leave that early.. Get to Rollover at 6 am...We would go out thru the concrete locks that are now in the marsh.. Those locks where built in the 1950's.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:41 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
Duck Butter.. Do U really thing The FinFish Director RESIGNED OUT OF NO WHERE?????

I can assure U he didn't Resign...
Thats what is fishy. You have the old administration (Barham/Pausina) saying the $ isn't an issue because of the increase in saltwater fishing license. Then you have the new administration (Melancon/Banks) saying there never was a cost estimate done. Who is right? I don't know, but I wish Garrett Graves would have been at the meeting to address this. This is an article from last week. It appears to me that in this bill everyone is ASSUMING the feds will fund this. Melancon emphatically said he is FOR state management but he is against an unfunded mandate.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=9773

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Secretary Charlie Melancon’s opposition to a congressional bill to hand over red snapper management to the Gulf states hinged on the bill’s lack of federal funding and what he estimated could be a $10 million annual price tag.

But that flew in the face of previous statements by his predecessor’s administration, which said in a congressional hearing that the agency had plenty of money for state management thanks to a saltwater fishing license increase instituted to fund the data-collection program known as LA Creel.
So who’s correct?

“Unfortunately, I would tend to say my current boss is more than likely closer to the truth,” LDWF Assistant Secretary of the Office of Fisheries Patrick Banks told LouisianaSportsman.com.
The reason is pretty simple, Banks said: LA Creel collects only one part of the data needed to perform full stock assessments necessary to effectively manage fisheries.
“LA Creel collects fisheries-dependent data,” the biologist said.
That includes information on recreational and charter catches, he said.
“What fish are caught, what types of fish are caught — stuff like that,” Banks explained.
However, LA Creel doesn’t capture any commercial landings, fisheries-independent data (think scientific sampling) or enforcement between state waters and the boundary of federal waters at 200 nautical miles.
And there probably just isn’t enough money in the program to cover those non-recreational aspects of management, he said.
“We would have to replace all that offshore sampling (currently done as part of the federal management program) and enhance that sampling so we could have a complete Louisiana stock assessment,” Banks said. “I’ve done my best to find what kind of proof (former LDWF Secretary Robert) Barham and Randy (Pausina, the former head of LDWF’s fisheries division) had to go to Congress and make those statements.
“There was no cost estimate done.”

LA Creel has brought in about $3 million since the saltwater license increased in 2014, Banks said. The amount in Fiscal Year 2016, which ended at the end of June was $1.7 million, he said.
But Banks said a cursory look at what it would take to fully administer red snapper management indicates the expenses would outstrip that funding.
“The amount of money that is generated through the saltwater license increase certainly covers LA Creel and a little bit of lagniappe — but not much more,” he said. “What (LA Creel revenue is) paying for is one segment (of fisheries data collection).
“There was just no way that the little over $2 million we get in LA Creel (annually) will cover all that.”
Congressman Garrett Graves, who authored the bill to remove federal oversight of red snapper in the Gulf and hand the responsibility over to the states, has said funding was removed from his legislation after Barham’s administration asserted sufficient funding existed without tapping into the federal treasury.
Saying that Melancon’s stance is “political crap,” Graves told LouisianaSportsman.com that current federal funding used in Gulf of Mexico red snapper management could be sent to the states.
“… I plan on ensuring that those monies are removed from the National Marine Fisheries Service at the end of the day, and (that funding) could be given to the states or returned for deficit reduction,” he said.
Banks said a cost analysis was under way last week.
The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission — which unanymously passed a resolution supporting the Graves bill — has requested "information related to the cost of red snapper management," Banks said.
"We will be presenting such on Thursday (during the July LWFC meeting)," he said. "We are hoping to have most of the cost estimate completed by then."
But he said he would be shocked if additional funding was not required.
“I feel pretty confident it’s going to be over the little over $2 million we get off the licenses,” Banks said.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:55 AM
Ling

Part of the issue with this, is that we (LA, TX, AL, FL, MS) are all in this together. Some states have way more snapper than other states, but it doesnt matter as it currently stands. Its a regional thing, not a state thing and is why it needs to be ran by the individual states. We are getting "punished" because FL doesnt have as many snapper.

The other issue most people have is with the sampling methods. You can probably go to any oil platform in 50+ feet of water and see an abundance of red snapper and think the population is just booming. Maybe it is right there, BUT biological sampling does NOT work that way. It seems silly, but I understand it. When you are taking a sample to look at population trends over time, you have to sample the same way every time. You can't pick out the best spots and do a sample there, you have to randomly sample. This is how deer browse surveys are done, quail whistle/covey counts are done, turkey gobble counts are done, songbird point counts are done, etc. etc. You go to the exact same spot every time. With waterfowl, you fly the same transects each year. Even though there may be 50,000 mallards sitting in flooded timber a mile outside the transect, or a thousand deer in Farmer Johns soybean patch, or 100 turkeys gobbling a mile down the road, those don't count.

The problem with oil platforms is that that particular oil platform is not always going to be there, so you can't include them. That being said, you could adjust the sampling methods to sample say oil platforms in a certain depth of water that have been there a certain amount of years and change it up if the platforms are removed, or something like that.

This all seems silly and we may not all agree on it, but I do understand it.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:46 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post

The other issue most people have is with the sampling methods. You can probably go to any oil platform in 50+ feet of water and see an abundance of red snapper and think the population is just booming.
This weekend dove two platforms in ~70' water and 30-50' down both were absolutely loaded with 8-15lb snapper. Even saw a few sow's in the +25# range...