SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,301
Default pool noodles and catfish

Any of you ever used pool noodles to catfish with? Some guys on Toledo were working on them with this set up and would like to try it.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,301
Default info

D, can you send or tell me where to get info on making them?

thanks a bunch
Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

walmart had them the other night when I went
Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!

lol good times...
Old 04-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 743
FlagUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Any of you ever used pool noodles to catfish with? Some guys on Toledo were working on them with this set up and would like to try it.
They work really well. Speck-chaser and his son use the noodles with the hole in the middle, this allows you to stick the weight in there to hold it in place when they are being stored.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

you can store alot more using noodles than jugs. Very high vis. I use 2 hooks. One about 2' under the water and one closer to the bottom with a weight at the end,to kinda keep it in the place I set it. It all depends on where your fishing as to how deep to make your lines.(if you want the weight to touch bottom and keep it in place)
Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

That's what I use and they work great. Another way that I've seen somebody do it is to put either a garden hose or pvc pipe through the hole in the noodle and run the string through the hose or pipe instead of around the middle. But the noodles work great, they help out 100000000000% in not getting the lines and hooks all tangled up.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

post some pics of your setups please...sounds like a great idea...
Old 04-20-2010, 02:56 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,167

I never thought about that. I seen them uses for crab trap markers.
I always used PVC injected with foam then painted flourencent orange.
This would work good cause you can stick the hook into the foam.
No sticking yourself with loose hooks.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:38 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

we always catch them at the end of summer when they go on sale at academy. you can rack up on some noodles
Old 04-20-2010, 06:40 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 654

Just cut the noodles 12 inches long. Wrap duct tape around the noodle about 2 inches from one end. Then tie on about 20' of line around the middle of the tape.. I used the tared string. Then tie a weight to the other end. I use either old railroad spikes or a 3/4 inch bolt around 3 to 4 inches long. This allows you to wind up the string and stick the ancor in the hole of the noodle. Then I tie dropper loops in the string about 2 foot from top and bottom and 1 or 2 in the middle. I then make 18 inch leaders out of 40 lb leader material and put the hook on one end and a swivel with a clip on the other end. And clip the leader onto the loops in the string. The I roll it all up sticking the hooks into the tape around the noodle. When it comes time to use them I unroll the noodle to 2 to 3 feet more than the depth of the water and then loop the rest around the noodle so that it doesnt come off. Usually I have one of the hooks close to that lenght and just let that be my stopping point. I fish them in toledo for catfish in shallws that are neer drop offs that have alot of stumps around. I only do this there in the end of March and all of April. Then anytime we go camping I take them. You can also do the floating type if you are in a small lake. They are ones with no weights and normally shallow and only one hook. I know people that fish them in lakes up north for Sac A Lait.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 654

Also carry a few extra leaders with you. You may need to swap out one or two while they are in the water. Hooks get bent or tangled in limbs in the water. Just unclip or cut old one off and clip on new one. And make sure to use a swivel.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 680

I use 20 oz large mouthed Gatoraid or Power Aid bottles. I remove the lable and paint them white. I tie on about 2-3 foot of nylon string with a 6/0 or 7/0 hook tied on. I have a slip knot around the bottle with a short tag dangleing so when I am ready to pick them up, I grab the tag, loosen the slip and take the string off. Open the bottle and put the string inside the bottle with the hook. Throw it in a bag and go back home. Cheap, easy and you can see them from a long distance at night with a good q-beam. I usually throw out about 50 but sometimes 80 at a time.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
That's what I use and they work great. Another way that I've seen somebody do it is to put either a garden hose or pvc pipe through the hole in the noodle and run the string through the hose or pipe instead of around the middle. But the noodles work great, they help out 100000000000% in not getting the lines and hooks all tangled up.

I use the pvc pipe method , a little shorter than the noodle,so that the weight can be tucked into the foam end and the hooks just stick into the noodle itself. I leave the pvc pipe sticking out slightly out of the other end. drill a hole in it,then pass a cotter pin through a loop in my string, and let the string come out of the other end. You can usually tell if there is a fish on,because the noodle will tip up.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:40 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUACKHEAD View Post
I use 20 oz large mouthed Gatoraid or Power Aid bottles. I remove the lable and paint them white. I tie on about 2-3 foot of nylon string with a 6/0 or 7/0 hook tied on. I have a slip knot around the bottle with a short tag dangleing so when I am ready to pick them up, I grab the tag, loosen the slip and take the string off. Open the bottle and put the string inside the bottle with the hook. Throw it in a bag and go back home. Cheap, easy and you can see them from a long distance at night with a good q-beam. I usually throw out about 50 but sometimes 80 at a time.
Dis is da way we do it.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Flounder

Cash: 615

http://www.jugfishing.net/

Here is some pics and how they rig them
Old 04-23-2010, 01:00 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 600

I just go down to the Dollar General and buy my noodles there. You pay $1 for the same noodles that wally world and academy want $5-6 for. I use different color noodles for different depths.... pink for 4', yellow for 7' and orange for 12'. I just cut each one about 12" long and run my string through the hole in the noodle. I just use the black trottline string you find in the fishing dept at wally world. If you make sure to tie your knott at either end of the noodle it makes it REALLY easy to run them, when there's no fish the noodle lays flat and when there is a fish the noodle stands straight up. It's like a bright flag saying "here I am, heat the grease!" My dad and I usualy take them up the river by Simmesport later in the summer, one or two trips will give us enough catfish to last all year.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650

Hey Cajuns! I saw a few visitors to my website www.jugfishing.net from here and thought I would stop in.

If you guys are looking for jug fishing information you can find a lot of information on rigging juglines at some of my other sites www.catfishbaitsoap.com www.whiskerkitty.com and my new website www.learntocatchcatfish.com

I am working on a bunch of new jug fishing articles for www.learntocatchcatfish.com so keep an eye on it for a lot of great information.

If you have any questions about rigging juglines feel free to ask I will try to help where I can.

Chad Ferguson