SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090
Default Flounder stuffing?

i have eaten, but never baked flounder myself. caught a few the other day, and would like to try. i have eaten before when it was stuffed with crab meat stuffing. does anyone have any suggestions on making the stuffing?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 587
Default delicious stuffing

I recently stuffed some flounder with a shrimp stuffing and it was delicious!! Sautee some shrimp, onions, bell peppers, celery, parsley, and garlic in butter in a large skillet. Then put into a food processor and grind so that the shrimp is in small pieces (almost like making a shrimp dip but not quite to a paste; just small chunks). Next add bread crumbs and stuff away. Since everything is cooked when you stuff the flounder, the cook time is only as long as it takes for the flounder to cook.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

I butterfly my flounder.............Lay it flat(brown side up) scale it, cut right down the middle, follow the backbone.......Then use fillet knife to separate meat from ribcage.............I fold it back skin and all and put my stuffing in, then fold it back into place and toothpick it.............I put it on the grill for 20 or so minutes and DONE.....The skin will seperate from meat when done.........
Old 06-11-2009, 10:10 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,826

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
I butterfly my flounder.............Lay it flat(brown side up) scale it, cut right down the middle, follow the backbone.......Then use fillet knife to separate meat from ribcage.............I fold it back skin and all and put my stuffing in, then fold it back into place and toothpick it.............I put it on the grill for 20 or so minutes and DONE.....The skin will seperate from meat when done.........
I prep my flounder kinda like you described but I cut down the rib cage and filet the meat off the backbone and flip it over and do the same on the white side but leave everything attached at the tail. Then I clip or break off the skeleton at the tail which leaves 4 pieces of filets connected at the tail. Lay everything back in place stuff with your preference and get after it. No bones to mess with at all...
Old 06-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

There was this old lady here in Bogalusa a few years ago that would scale the flounder, cut off it's head and remove the belly, and cut the meat from the bones and actually pull the ribcage out. When she was done, it looked almost like a mitt. A buddy told me that he took a flounder to her one time and when she was done it actually held water. That meant that it wasn't cut through at all.

Damn, I'm gettin' hungry.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Flounder

Cash: 656

All this stuff sounds great.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650
Default flounder stuffing

I stuffed one the other day with some crabmeat, diced onion, diced shrimp, cream cheese, breadcrumbs, parmesian cheese, a little 1/2 and 1/2 to wet the bread crumbs, few cut green onions, butter, & seasoned to taste. Grilled white side down until brown skin separates from meat. (can use searing burner on grill the last few minutes). It made me hurt myself!!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Redfish

Cash: 542

To do like Salty said, it take a little more time but well worth it. Scale, cut head off, and work knife allong spine from inside to out. Use scissors to the little bones from the fins,fins stay attached, and work your way to the tail and cut out spine. All you are left with is a mitt. You can then stuff that baby as big as a basketball....once cooked, you may hurt yourself trying to dispose of anything left in pan.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
There was this old lady here in Bogalusa a few years ago that would scale the flounder, cut off it's head and remove the belly, and cut the meat from the bones and actually pull the ribcage out. When she was done, it looked almost like a mitt. A buddy told me that he took a flounder to her one time and when she was done it actually held water. That meant that it wasn't cut through at all.

Damn, I'm gettin' hungry.
i've seen it done that way to

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh...filet+flounder
Old 08-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Sand Trout

me and montauk 17 just cleaned some this way last night, i refuse to clean flounder any other way, it makes for a very impressive presintation