SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 08-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Get a sack of oysters, a glove, an oyster knife, and start popping them open. eat till you full. No lemon, no hot sauce, no crackers, just oysters.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Ling

Cash: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by express07 View Post
Phare's in Lafayette (It's where Baraca's used to be) has them fire grilled. Not sure what night of the week, but they have some special on them. Very good.
you stole my post!!! i know the owners personally, this is the best damn place ta eat oysters in lafayette, period
Old 08-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by express07 View Post
Phare's in Lafayette (It's where Baraca's used to be) has them fire grilled. Not sure what night of the week, but they have some special on them. Very good.
I didnt even know that place was open....Is it just a regular seafood joint?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

r a w ana a bunch of horseradish makin me cry and hungry at the same time just thinking about it
Old 08-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
I didnt even know that place was open....Is it just a regular seafood joint?
no way bro, its a lil upscale. they have a bar and all but this is the place to be ta relax, eat and have fun . they have a great menu. not just seafood
Old 08-20-2009, 07:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 643

Originally Posted by express07

Didnt ole man Phare's used to own Shucks in abbeville? I think he was the one that started the "charbroiled oysters" around here, all the other places just followed suit i think... Someone corrct me if im wrong..
Old 08-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddy View Post
Originally Posted by express07

Didnt ole man Phare's used to own Shucks in abbeville? I think he was the one that started the "charbroiled oysters" around here, all the other places just followed suit i think... Someone corrct me if im wrong..
you the man, yes he did. his son is currently runnin phares in lafayette. thats sum good people man. great friends and great food.mr. jack is always givin my kids pearls that he found in them oysters
Old 08-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 887

Like them anyway ... raw ... oyster rockerfeller, oytser bienville, grilled, fried .... all good
Old 08-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 647

As the great grandson of a Croatian oysterman, I think he'd be proud. I like oysters any way you've ever heard of. Dad and I still had our own oyster lease until 1999 in the same spot my great grandfather seeded his. Heck, I still have the oyster tongs he made with his own hands back in the '30s.

Drago's restaurant has the best charbroiled oysters I've ever personally tasted. I don't fry oysters anymore because there are so many better things to do with them. Raw is great, and you need horseradish to make a good sauce for them in my opinion. Still, they're great just plain by themselves, sitting on the dock with a bunch you just tonged out of the bayou.

Now for something completely different. I started doing this when I was a kid. We always had a boil going on at the camp. Zatarain's only of course, bags and liquid. Somebody would bring crawfish out, or we'd have crabs or shrimp, along with the requisite corn, potatoes, andouille, mushrooms, boudin, etc. we'd throw in the pot. One day I shucked a bunch of oysters I had tonged out from the dock and I threw them in the top of the pot in a strainer. I let them go for about 5 minutes or so, put them in a bowl and ladled some boil on top of them and let them sit for a bit. Then I strained them and took a bite. AWESOME.

Don't believe me? Try it yourself.

I understand some people don't like them raw because of the consistency, but oysters truly are a gift from God. I remember eating them raw when I when I was only 4 years old.

Here's a pic of the old man, Peter Rozich at his camp, on his shell pile in Bayou Cook circa 1943.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bada, Dad, and The Old Man Bayou Cook 1943.jpg (58.7 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by coachlaw; 08-21-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: adding pic
Old 08-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,100

I am not that experienced in oyster eating. All I have tried is raw and grilled. Both are awesome.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Law, my grand pa used to to tong oysters and fish crabs on a pa lon when he wasn't shrimpin all from the same 20' skiff with a 16 hp Briggs. He smoked 2 3 packs of cigarettes and could outwork a van full of sweaty mexicans. He was a beast. The stories he told me in the middle of the night in the latter part of his life made me realize how hard the old timers used to work.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,065

Raw oysters, la hot sauce, saltine crackers, cold beer and an lsu football game!!!!!!!!!!!!

La saturday night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 894

I just bought a sack yesterday!The best is on the grill with minced garlic,olive oil,worsetershire,tonys,and parmesan cheese when they almost done!We also boil them in the shell just like crawfish,they taste great that way too!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIRD DOG View Post
I just bought a sack yesterday!The best is on the grill with minced garlic,olive oil,worsetershire,tonys,and parmesan cheese when they almost done!We also boil them in the shell just like crawfish,they taste great that way too!
i like them that way too...my hubby prefers butter to the olive oil though...
Old 09-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,167

GW Fins in the 1/4 have them smoked oysters on the half shell. They are sizzling when they bring them to you.