SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 03-18-2014, 08:55 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -514
Default Tips for trieing 125# mono for leaders.

I bean working with 125 lb mono and well trying to come up with a knot to go to 108 lb Tess .022 hard wire.
Did a haywire twist but my nifty knots for smaller stuff is hard to pull tight.i worrie about wire cutting threw mono. I already had a hook and wire fly to god know wear when the not let go at about 40-50 lbs pull. Mono did not cut but wire pulled back over its self all the sudden .no slip Gus let go.

YouTube vid of knot to come.

I also have a knot for mono to bimiheian braid. Still to test on high Tess stuff.

All work good at or below 80 bit it seems above 100 things get hard to set and so on.

Ya I could use crimps but im going for knots only no swivels crimps or rings.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:09 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

You tuna fishing?? Or Marlin?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:10 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
You tuna fishing?? Or Marlin?
And and shark. Wire . King. Wahooooooooo.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

First thing to my mind was crimp second was swivel. Knots..... Good luck.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:27 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
First thing to my mind was crimp second was swivel. Knots..... Good luck.
Hay thanks
Old 03-19-2014, 04:46 AM
Red Snapper

,an my nubbies are tired.
what yall yhink. 80 lb braid on reel wit bimmini on the end. loop to loop on 125 lb momo with both ends tied double surgenal knot and loop de loop to a hay wired twist 80 lb SS wire on which haywired 8/0 circle hook or wahoo skirt 80 jayed hook.

think the surgenal will hold or u think wire cut da loop first?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:12 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

wire cut da loop first

Swivels and clamps
Old 03-19-2014, 01:35 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Make sure your mono is long enough. It needs to be able to stretch for hoos and act as a shock absorb.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:27 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt coonassty View Post
Make sure your mono is long enough. It needs to be able to stretch for hoos and act as a shock absorb.
Ya you right.
What if I twist and then twist bottom two tird again and top one tird. Make one spot wit two stran an boat loop ends two stran. Wit week point 2 stran between two surgeon knot. Wire gata go threw two stran in loop to loop. Give me 4 stran twisted for rash an equil to 4 time 125 dat 500 lb lower two tird . Week points are 250 lb .
What you tink about dat.

I'm a put one end on mamas hitch an get her to put it in drive but keep da foot of da hammer. Let it roll an see if it brake fast or if knot slip or hope wire hold an not cut .

Bet wire cut but I gata see what lb it give out.

An whole thing 10 foot long.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:34 PM
Red Snapper

Hay what I can put on two stran twisted loop to keep wire from cutting.
Sumpin wit flex. Would a pice of ..... Tube work. Like small ss tubing weeve cover. You know like on fule lines looks silver . You see it on sink water lines too.but it need to be skinny 1/8 inch or so.

We're I get that. What you call dat.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:11 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Can't help ya with the leader but welcome back! You had some motor problems a while back and got stranded at redmonds launch if you remember. Sorry we did not have the part you needed in stock.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:33 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Can't help ya with the leader but welcome back! You had some motor problems a while back and got stranded at redmonds launch if you remember. Sorry we did not have the part you needed in stock.
That was a hard part to find. When I got home I had to pull the Damb thing apart to put that Damb red little circle back in under everything else on top.
Can not believe I left it out. And hard to believe nothing electronic would line up and work right without it.

Yep it's time to repower it. Bye and bye it ran like the ****ens after. I went out 10 + miles not long after that. Cought 6 spinner sharks, 12 cat a ma gaff heads,one red, and a bunch of dry um up shrimp. Great trip.

I was chumming with live shrimp at the rig.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Red Snapper

Well it looks like da snell knot on a 9/0 J hook is good with the 125lb Ande mono. The Bimini with braid is good. And a knot I'm working on to connect the mono to the braid. I have tested loop to loop on haywire twist and it would have to be a wale to get wire to cut a double 125 lb loop.

All this is the persuet of old school tech. No crimps and swivels. And it seems to be working.

I will next try to add large mardi grass beeds above the jay hook with the snell as spacers for a skirt. I just need to come up with a head above that. Or a skirt with a head already .

By the way I showed a guy at the rotery point yesterday how to do a Bimini twist. When I left he was practicing it and well I felt good that people still have a passion for learning things that have to do with fishing. I also find knots used for years and years are still interesting to the average guy who does not have the resources to obtain more than fishing line and a hook.

I'm not in any way suggesting I do not use crimps and swivels heck I got boxes of um. I just seem to be getting to a point in my life were minimalism is takeing over and if I don't have to mess with all that extra gear lugging more and more to fish seems pointless if I can just grab a few things and go.

And I still believe in the use of a worm to catch a perch and tie a new rig then use the persh to catch a ten pound flat head in the river. It just seems to be fun to me.

So for you guys that fish alot and have little time to do it .dont discount the old ways cuse they are slow and take too much time. You too one day might get a kick out of sitting on the bank with a Cain pole just for the sport of it.

More results on knots too come and pics too . Just wait it will happen. I ain't got nuttin but time on my hands and nuttin else to do except figure out ways to take more time to go fishing.