SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 964
Default Best Rain Gear

Heading over this weekend for some fishing and also a trip with hackberry on monday. Weather is not looking pleasant. What type of rain gear is everyone using and how happy have they been with it? Anything reasonably priced that doesn't turn you into a sauna?
Old 06-10-2015, 01:15 PM
Flounder

Cash: 671

The frog togs look good. Everyone I know likes them.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

So far out of the rain gear I've purchased, Cabela's brand has been the best.

I own 2 Columbia jackets, 1 bass pro jacket, and a pair of Cabela's pants.

The two Columbia jackets' DWR finished wore off in very little time, so now when it rains they don't repel the water anymore, so the material actually soaks in a little water, but you still don't get wet, but they get heavy since they've become partially saturated with water.

The bass pro jacket held its DWR coating for quite a while, I've been having this jacket longer than the Columbia ones (I've had it for 6-7 years now), and its my "go to" jacket. Even though the coating has wore off, it has the neoprene sleeves, which I really like, and its the lightest even when wet.

I've been having the Cabela's pants for the same time as the bass pro jacket, and the DWR coating is still pretty good, the pants repel the water really good, and when it does rain, they never get a "wet" feeling so they stay light on you, which is because they are still repelling water really good.

If I'd have to get another good pair of rain gear, I'd probably spend the money on whatever Cabela's is offering, since I've had such good experience with them in the past, but I am curious to see what everyone has to say. I was actually wondering this exact same thing earlier today.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

You can get a set of Frogg Toggs for $20... even if they last 3-5 outings they are worth the price. The biggest complaint on Frogg Toggs is the pants split easy at the crotch. Other than that they are pretty awesome for $20.

They are lightweight, breathable, pretty dang waterproof, and wont break the bank!
Old 06-10-2015, 06:52 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

I like the the grundens gage series. You can get em at west marine
Old 06-10-2015, 08:08 PM
Redfish

Cash: 776

Your title says Best but your post says reasonably priced. Good luck with that. But if you want rain gear that really works. Doesn't turn you into a sauna. And is comfortable enough to actually fish in. Then look at SIMMS Guidewear or Patagonia SST.

Warning they aren't cheap. But I have tried most of them out there and finally decided to go with "best" stuff. And SIMMS is it.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:46 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

Well, I got a supposedly nice set of Drake gear last year. Wore them on my first rainy duck outing and my torso got soaked to the skin. Replied to their customer service dept. Had to send in the suit and order another one wich they comped. Wore the new one outside for work a few months back and did pretty much the same. Pants seemed ok, but the jacket just didnt cut it. Not sure if the seams or where the air vents were, are not finished well or what. Pretty lousy though. It was probably about a 130.00 set. I sent them another email after, but never got any response back. Pic was from second jacket. First was worse than that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0379.jpg (26.6 KB, 360 views)
Old 06-10-2015, 11:05 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 516

My favorite is Arc'teryx, but it isn't reasonably priced. Mountain Hardware is pretty good at a lower price point.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:03 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

"So far out of the rain gear I've purchased, Cabela's brand has been the best"- Jpeff

I second the Cabela's Goretex rainwear. My first set of top and pant lasted over 18 years of hard offshore fishing, sailing regattas, as a rainsuit for kart racing and general rainwear before I had a seam leak. I replaced it with the newer version of the same 6 years ago and still performs well.

As far as Drake wear. I gave up on Browning waterproof parkas after my second one began to fall apart after 3 seasons (the first lasted 12+ years). I tried a Drake parka and after 1.5 hours in the blind on a cold mild rain morning I thought I was getting wet down my back but wrote it off to feeling the metal of the blind through the insulation. After another 1/2 hour in the blind I knew I was getting wet! Paid about $350 for the piece of crap...wife now loves it for walking the dogs in the winter...if not reaining too hard. I now have a Cabelas parka and life is gooooood!
Old 06-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 502
Default best rain gear

this is the best I've ever used period. I've purchased literally every brand on the market (well, not really but a butt load anyway).

very soft and comfortable, comes in camo and there is a long "cowboy" style jacket also. I use it for duck hunting and fishing. you can use the long jacket with hip boots and not have to use bibs.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Flounder

Cash: 924

Simms all the way, my waders and jacket I've worn the heck out of and they last, down side is $$$! I purchased Fogg toggs when I left my simms as the camp and I like them for the price and if you tear them up, then no worries. Downside, if theres not wind I get hot quick. My next purchase for rain gear will be the grundens gear
Old 06-11-2015, 04:32 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,097

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhardhead View Post
this is the best I've ever used period. I've purchased literally every brand on the market (well, not really but a butt load anyway).

Amazon.com: Helly Hansen Workwear Impertech II Deluxe Rain and Fishing Jacket: Sports & Outdoors

very soft and comfortable, comes in camo and there is a long "cowboy" style jacket also. I use it for duck hunting and fishing. you can use the long jacket with hip boots and not have to use bibs.
I have the top and bottom of the HH its about as waterproof as it gets but doesn't breath at all! I have a Simms jacket for most of the wet situations i get into, and it always leaves me dry and well vented. I was able to find mine for 40% off, so it was a great deal as well.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Redfish

Cash: 893

I have ll bean and they are good. Nothing I've had from drake has been water resistant at all
Old 06-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Flounder

Cash: 681

Simms is what all the Bass Pros wear, but at $500 for a Pro-model jacket, many of us may not be. The bibs are only $400. What a deal! Sure, they make less expensive lines..but still up there.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:49 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

If you catch thehookuptackle with a sale they do the simms prodry buy jacket get bibs free.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:02 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,466

Cabela's Goretex is good but Simms is by far the best. I have a storage room full of other brands and none lasted more than a year. If I added up the money wasted on cheaper brands I could have bought 4 sets of Simms. The term you get what you pay for is very correct in this case.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:05 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,097

I have this jacket and its amazing. Has come in handy a lot lately with the weather. this is a GREAT Deal!!!

http://www.backcountry.com/simms-acklins-jacket-mens
Old 06-12-2015, 08:47 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,855

Stay home
Old 06-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 662

Military issue Gore-Tex, BUT since most people can't get that then Cabelas Gore-Tex is pretty good. My Cabelas jacket leaks some how, but the pants are still going strong. When I got the Cabelas jacket my buddy said they have a lifetime warranty on them and he had his replaced. I don't know if that still holds true, but worth checking into.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:04 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddenJerk View Post
Military issue Gore-Tex, BUT since most people can't get that then Cabelas Gore-Tex is pretty good. My Cabelas jacket leaks some how, but the pants are still going strong. When I got the Cabelas jacket my buddy said they have a lifetime warranty on them and he had his replaced. I don't know if that still holds true, but worth checking into.

Yes they do