SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-15-2015, 09:14 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 997

^ This ... you can adjust for stretch with a lighter power/action rod.

Fishing leaders around shell also allows me to break off several times a day without shortening my main line. A spool of braid last for quiet a while.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:58 AM
Redfish

Cash: 692

Yup. Also doesn't go bad. I change out my mono every Monday but I only change power pro every 6 months.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
Casting distance, put me side by side with someone throwing mono and if I'm casting 30-40' further than them on every cast I will catch more fish. I understand that it is not always relevant but the majority of the time the more water you can work the more fish you will catch.

That's a big "if". I don't think you'll cast that much further. I have rods and reels with different line types for different situations and as long as you're set up right, every last one is as good as the other. Throwing topwater with braid versus mono may be the only lure type that you will get a little further, but with a jighead and plastic, I believe your casting distance will be nearly the same.

If casting distance is your only reason to fish braid, and you do so on every reel, you're making a huge mistake and your going to miss a bunch of the perks to other lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2015, 10:06 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
Why fish with braid for trout? I understand its sensitivity and toughness, but there isn't much structure you have to pull trout out of. Catching fish with string that allows a little stretchiness is so much more fun, every fish feels much bigger than what it would feel like with braid tied on, plus you don't have to worry as much about ripping their lips.

Casting distance and sensitivity
Old 06-15-2015, 10:27 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

Quote:
That's a big "if". I don't think you'll cast that much further. I have rods and reels with different line types for different situations and as long as you're set up right, every last one is as good as the other. Throwing topwater with braid versus mono may be the only lure type that you will get a little further, but with a jighead and plastic, I believe your casting distance will be nearly the same.

If casting distance is your only reason to fish braid, and you do so on every reel, you're making a huge mistake and your going to miss a bunch of the perks to other lines.

Im with you on the mono. To make up for the casting distance I use Boca bearings. Changing mono out every Monday does suck though.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand16 View Post
Im with you on the mono. To make up for the casting distance I use Boca bearings. Changing it out every Monday does suck though.

I don't even use fancy bearings, and I'll change my string about once a month. I love the stretch to the strings. In my opinion it makes fishing more fun. The fish feel bigger and when you do get a big one you can't horse it it, loosen the drag up and the battle is on! Plus when fish are holding deeper, flourocarbon helps out a ton because it will get to the bottom and stay on the bottom was easier than braid or mono. When I trout fish I bring rods with flouro and rods with mono. Mono is for my topwater and lighter jigheads (1/16 and 1/8), while flouro has 1/4 or 3/8. The flouro makes a HUGE difference when the tide is rolling

Old 06-15-2015, 11:13 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

Quote:
I don't even use fancy bearings, and I'll change my string about once a month. I love the stretch to the strings. In my opinion it makes fishing more fun. The fish feel bigger and when you do get a big one you can't horse it it, loosen the drag up and the battle is on! Plus when fish are holding deeper, flourocarbon helps out a ton because it will get to the bottom and stay on the bottom was easier than braid or mono. When I trout fish I bring rods with flouro and rods with mono. Mono is for my topwater and lighter jigheads (1/16 and 1/8), while flouro has 1/4 or 3/8. The flouro makes a HUGE difference when the tide is rolling

you need to get you some fancy bearings. ill bring some for you next time you call me to go to vbay
Old 06-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,467

Quote:

Well I believe we need to settle this ill take you on a trip over here and you can bring me to VB. Its the only way
Old 06-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 997

Im a bass guy to heart and understand the benefits of different line types and high end fishing gear. Heres where most of my forum time goes hanging out with these OCD picky technical gear junkies. Trust me they tinker and play with some of the highest end rods/reels/bearings/ and lines.

http://tackletour.com/index.html

To me heres the meat and potatoes of TT:

http://forums.tackletour.com/

The one big change I came to realize about freshwater (bass) vs inshore is that in the inshore world braided lines with leaders and clean knots have greater advantages and versatility than in the freshwater world. More so even when using spinning gear and dealing with wind knots. Another thing is in the fresh world Ive not had anything ever eat flouro or mono like oyster reefs ! Being able to replace leaders and not ruin main line is a cost savings as well. Its cheaper to replace at 6' section of flouro than a whole spool. Not to mention the sensitivity gain is sometimes the difference between getting the hook set or missing the subtle bite. Just remember to compensate for line stretch with you rod pairing ...

I also do subscribe to greater casting distance with braided lines. After all the mods you do to your reel no matter how far it will throw with mono/flouro I feel if you then strip and switch to braid of equal or less diameter you will gain a little more distance. Main reason alone is no line memory to flow through level wind or line guides on the cast.

This is just my opinion. In the big scheme of things what ever works for you and keeps your confidence up is what I'd use ...

Last edited by jpd0144; 06-15-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:55 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
Well I believe we need to settle this ill take you on a trip over here and you can bring me to VB. Its the only way
haha that works for me!
Old 06-15-2015, 01:03 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Quote:
haha that works for me!
He uses 10 braid on a 7'6 spinning rod. You won't cast further unless you use 8lb
Old 06-17-2015, 10:06 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 452

i use 30 lb super slick 8 on all my inshore reels and 80 lb on offshore reel. cast smooth and does not get as much backlash. Also it is thinner therefore you can fit more in reel. i have a shimono rod and a shimano 50