SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 12-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Flounder

Cash: 29
Default First split-coastal zone

Hunt in Plaquemines parish on east bank and it's been worst year I've had out there. The high water is awful and majority of our bag has been teal. However have killed a few pintails and a couple mallards. We are around 80ish, in a good year we should be easily double that. Waiting on some west winds and a legitimate front. Unfortunately I think lousy winds and warm temps are here to stay with this strong El~niño or whatever you call the pacific driven winter weather that's forecasted.

Aside from the opener the best hunt I had was Tuesday and it was zero wind and 100 degrees, but the water levels were normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,024

Worst I can remember in a long time if not ever. High water but tons of food. Had a couple decent hunts and just as many poor. The best hunts were on days I couldn't go. Saturday six of us hunted three of our best blinds. Beautiful day to hunt and we shot two teal between six hunters. Took the girlfriend for a ride sunday afternoon. Road thousands of acres of marsh and I jumped 5-10 birds. All singles, and they all looked lost. I'm hoping something changes in these two weeks or I'll be hanging it up and going fishing early.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

It had its ups and downs, but more ups than downs. The high water killed us in the marsh it had the ducks spread out. On the upside our duck ponds are full of vegetation for the ducks just were under 3' of water. I think that will actually prove to be a blessing once the ducks show up and find the food in the marsh.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:24 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,574

Johnson Bayou (south of 82) started out strong with full limits on youth and opening wknd. Have killed one bird since. Snow geese are starting to show up now.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

Great all the way up to the Friday after Thanksgiving. Hunted south of Lake Arthur on rice and fresh water marsh.

Had plenty of ducks on location but somebody turned the switch off when it got warm on black Friday!
Old 12-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,700

41 specks and 57 ducks, 32 of the ducks being opening weekend (two 3 mans), speck hunting is being consistent south of welsh, just having to work for them
Old 12-08-2015, 12:57 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,063

Hunted Bellcity holmwood area. My family has been there for about 100yrs. Worst yr ever on record. We didn't even kill a 1/4 of what we normally kill. Not sure why. We have lots of food. Nothing is different. Only thing that comes to mind is no cold weather. According to biologist the northern states are just now getting mallards.

Really frustrating. Second split not looking any better. Oh well. Glad we opened season a week early. Not that it would matter right now anyways.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Flounder

Cash: 863

Killed around 140 ducks and 60 specks thornwell area, started out awesome with ducks they left quick though. Killed 1 snow goose all split which we don't make point to go after but usually kill 50 or so a split
Old 12-08-2015, 11:16 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,176

South of Kaplan, 132 ducks, 3 geese verses last years fiirst split, 70 ducks and 13 geese. Our opening weekend of the first split was good and then our numbers naturally declined, but we closed out the last day with a 2 man limit. That certanently left me eager for the second split to get started. I agree with all that speak of the lack of cold fronts. The freeze line simply isn't dipping down enough to push down our wanted numbers.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:26 AM
Redfish

Cash: 2,950

Like most the first part of the split was good with limits or near limits in the first 7 hunts (Greys, Teal mostly but shot 8 different species) followed by Scratch, Scratch & 2 in my last 3 hunts. Even though we were getting limits early I did notice that there were not as many birds compared to past years and during the lase 3 hunts I was not seeing 50 birds total and I hunted to 11 am on the 2 scratch days. Not even seeing high flight birds. Driving around between Kaplan & PI where I normally at least see birds I am seeing nothing. It is a strange year, I think the high water combined with the mild temps have a lot to do with the lack of birds.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:46 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,156

Pecan Island: Always saw birds, which is criteria #1 for enjoyment. Probably averaged 4-5 birds/hunt, 90% BWT. Kind of a slow start. Last week of first split had 2X's more BWT and limited easily the last hunt. Seeing some Spoonies and Green heads, will target them more the second split.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

Old 12-13-2015, 04:37 PM
Tripletail

Went to the marsh today to do a little work on the blinds. One good thing all the extra water is out the marsh and water levels are back to normal exposing all the grass in our ponds. We also popped up quite a few ducks out of our marsh while going to blinds. Looks like it's going to be a good second split opener with these two cold fronts should push more ducks down

Old 12-13-2015, 07:45 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Cameron Parish is a Buffet Waiting to be Devoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackhead62 View Post
Went to the marsh today to do a little work on the blinds. One good thing all the extra water is out the marsh and water levels are back to normal exposing all the grass in our ponds. We also popped up quite a few ducks out of our marsh while going to blinds. Looks like it's going to be a good second split opener with these two cold fronts should push more ducks down

Awesome, high water was killing us. Cameron Parish is a buffet waiting to be devoured when the water drops and ducks come down. What area u hunt?
Old 12-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Tripletail

Our place was the same way lots of food but had a extra two foot of water on it. I hunt just east of intracoastal city north of the icy canal.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:20 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
Awesome, high water was killing us. Cameron Parish is a buffet waiting to be devoured when the water drops and ducks come down. What area u hunt?

I imagine we have more water now.. Our last weekend the water was slowly going down. It seems to hold water a better than it drains at our place in Cameron parish
Old 12-14-2015, 04:39 PM
Flounder

Cash: 863

Has anyone been out to marsh or fields, I haven't been able to wondering if any new birds are around?
Old 12-14-2015, 05:38 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterr77 View Post
Has anyone been out to marsh or fields, I haven't been able to wondering if any new birds are around?
Didn't go deep into our marsh yesterday, BUT, pulled my boat around to the launch and saw a handful of teal. Looked out into the marsh itself and didn't see anything flying. This was at noon. It was blowing a solid 18 mph. Kind of disappointed....

Had some buddies hunt in Arkansas this past weekend and pretty much strummed them. They CLAIM the birds are there in full force. Not to mention, killing about 12-15 specks a hunt. Would be nice to have a 3 bird speck limit, but hey, our opinion doesn't matter.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:49 PM
Flounder

Cash: 986
Default NE Arkansas

imagejpeg_0.jpg
Old 12-16-2015, 04:51 PM
Flounder

Cash: 986

that is a 7 man limit of ducks and specks

The geese are there. Massive bodies of blues and snows.

I saw it with my own eyes,no false claim