SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:58 PM
Redfish

Cash: 969
Default Castnetting for shrimp

I had some good luck shrimping on those jetties near the shore at GI in mid July last year. I didn't catch a single throwback shrimp. Whenever I go to Holly Beach, Little Florida, Deep Bayou, or any of my Cameron Parish haunts, I tend to catch very small bait shrimp. Is this typical? Do the jetties hold nice shrimp, and I'm just benefitting from their close proximity to land at GI? I want to go catch another load this summer, but if it was dumb luck at GI, I'll just go to Holly Beach since it's a couple hours closer. If I need to go the extra couple hours, I'll just roll down in the camper and take a shot. Is mid summer the best time, or is there another season I should shoot for. Thanks for any help. And I don't have a boat, so any tips on spots that need a boat won't help me. Thanks again!
Old 05-18-2017, 09:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 792

I was at the state park last week and caught one shrimp by the rocks and no specks. Contrast that to what the reports from the local peeps were, i.e. they caught the weekend before and the weekend after we were there. Go figure!
Old 05-18-2017, 10:07 PM
Redfish

My fishing career is based on how much better off I would've been if I was there 24 hours before or after I was there. Haha. If all else fails, I'll just hit those same jetties in July and see what happens. It's pretty cool to load up some shrimp on the beach!
Old 05-19-2017, 06:38 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

We loaded up last summer at the jetties but we were in a boat.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

You DO know the fish bite twice a day ......15 mins before you get there and 15 mins after you leave !!
Old 05-20-2017, 02:45 PM
Redfish

It's incredible how that works. From now on, I guess I need to show up 15 minutes early, leave 15 minutes late, and get there yesterday!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:20 PM
Redfish

I didn't want to start another thread, but has anyone had any luck on the jetties that are in close near Holly Beach? I know some of them are walkable, and since they are two hours closer, may be worth a shot!
Old 05-27-2017, 12:23 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

I want to say they won't let you get on the Cameron jetty rocks anymore. You have to use that fishing pier on the east side of the channel. As far as castnetting for shrimp without a boat in SW LA, your best bet would probably be price lake Rd in rockafeller
Old 05-27-2017, 02:04 PM
Redfish

I'm talking about the jetties along the beach between Holly and Little Florida. They haven't closed access to those, have they? I will try Price Lake road. I hadn't given that a shot yet.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:10 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fisherman View Post
I'm talking about the jetties along the beach between Holly and Little Florida. They haven't closed access to those, have they? I will try Price Lake road. I hadn't given that a shot yet.
You don't need to stand on the jetties at the beach to cast net for shrimp. When the shrimp are at the beach you just need to wade out in the water. In late summer they can get so thick sometimes that you can feel them when walking through the water.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:51 PM
Flounder

Cash: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
You don't need to stand on the jetties at the beach to cast net for shrimp. When the shrimp are at the beach you just need to wade out in the water. In late summer they can get so thick sometimes that you can feel them when walking through the water.

whats the limit on shrimp outside of the reserve? all ive ever fished was inside the weirs where its only a 5 gallon bucket.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:18 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon29 View Post
whats the limit on shrimp outside of the reserve? all ive ever fished was inside the weirs where its only a 5 gallon bucket.

I believe recreational is 100lbs. But best to look it up on WLF website.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:42 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Wow! I've had limited exposure castnetting on the beaches down there. I've only caught bait shrimp at Holly Beach, but will be sure to give it a shot late this summer. I'll probably make a practice run a little sooner. Just because.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:49 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Wow! I've had limited exposure castnetting on the beaches down there. I've only caught bait shrimp at Holly Beach, but will be sure to give it a shot late this summer. I'll probably make a practice run a little sooner. Just because.

Don't get me wrong, it happens, but it's not often. All the stars have to align just right. Lol. But years ago one time, we scooped them with dip nets right up against the shore.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:29 PM
Redfish

Oh I get it. The beauty of the beach is that if the wind is light, I can play with the castnet, fish for trout if the water is right, or catch monster reds. If that doesn't work, I can run to a couple roadside holes for trout and crabs. I rarely have a bad day down there. Even if nothing is biting.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124

Aint no such thing as a bad day doin' what ya love!!
Old 05-29-2017, 04:55 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

Quote:

Yeah you can get up on those rocks off the beach but they are full of algae and sharp so be really careful. I wouldn't throw a cast net off them cause it's liable to get hung up on the underwater rocks.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:18 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Babaz View Post
Yeah you can get up on those rocks off the beach but they are full of algae and sharp so be really careful. I wouldn't throw a cast net off them cause it's liable to get hung up on the underwater rocks.
That's an appetite for destruction. Stay off the rocks. It's not a matter of if something bad is going to happen it's when. And I'm like Babaz and all the rest. We grew up on those rocks and there is a good reason they don't want you on them. Especially when a crew boat sneaks in on you rolling a wake lol. Those were the days.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:46 PM
Redfish

Cash: 773

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, it happens, but it's not often. All the stars have to align just right. Lol. But years ago one time, we scooped them with dip nets right up against the shore.
This "jubilee" happens maybe once or twice a year...if you are lucky.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:18 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Happened 2 weeks ago on Grand Isle, you need a north wind, I have a buddy who caught an ice chest of 40/50s in 2 hours, Said he never got water above his calves.