SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271
Question Trout Spawn and V. Bay report

V. Bay fisherman: The trout are moving in!! We had a good time fishing the bay this weekend, got to catch some good solid trout in the bay around the cove and even into sharks bayou. Birds worked all day long, could of caught a million white trout if you wanted, but there were a couple of specs under them, just had to throw a little bigger bait. Caught 2 gulls, and rescued one that some A-hole boat left to suffer Also caught one 23" trout while reeling in a smaller white trout, that was pretty neat. Dad also caught a 23 1/2" trout at a popular fall fishing spot lol Sorry no pictures, but hey who hasn't seen trout before and it wasn't that many. One question.. whats a good artificial bait to catch spanish on? They were jumping 5-8 ft out of the water and couldn't get them to hit us for nothing. Tried sand eel jrs, cocahoes, sparkle beetles, topwater, and a few other things. Only got one hit reeling in my topwater really fast lol

Heres my question....while I was cleaning the fish we caught at V. Bay this weekend, I noticed that nearly all the trout were full of eggs still. When do they usually spawn? I always thought that there spawning was from april to juneish???? I was just wondering if they go through a second spawn late in the year. Sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm fairly new to spec fishing and still learning A LOT! Thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Ling

thanks for the help fellas.. maybe i should post on the other site.........
Old 09-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

i dont know enough about them jeremy... i just know they taste good !!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Ling

haha! guess thats all we need to know to keep you going huh lmao
Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

On FRI we ran out of of freshwater city and hit the rigs and picked 55 trout. Most of them were caught on Tsunami swim shads. The last few times fishing the bay (well really the pass) all the birds had mostly gaftop under them. We did have some luck at the Tiger shoal rigs and around TEE BUTTE.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 653

For spanish mackeral is it best to use a steel leader? Never caught them before.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Flounder

Cash: 646
Default Trout Spawn

I found this in an article online. This might answer your question.

"[SIZE=2] Speckled trout exhibit a protracted spawning season, lasting from April to September. Females ready to spawn have even been recorded in March and October."[/SIZE]
Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,343

I can promise you we would have been catching the spanish if I was in the boat. But then you would not have caught any trout. Just the way my luck is this year.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

im pretty sure they spawn all summer long.....
Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Quote:
Originally Posted by express07 View Post
For spanish mackeral is it best to use a steel leader? Never caught them before.
yes deff..

im headed too V bay this weekend..just got a call from mah Buddy..they own a camp in cypermort point...his Uncle is Donnie Landry..and he never seems to fail to put us on some fish..
Old 09-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopedale Hustler View Post
yes deff..

im headed too V bay this weekend..just got a call from mah Buddy..they own a camp in cypermort point...his Uncle is Donnie Landry..and he never seems to fail to put us on some fish..

might have to follow ya'll out there one day lol we usually do pretty good though. We rarely go home with just a few, you know lol
Old 09-01-2009, 12:01 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
might have to follow ya'll out there one day lol we usually do pretty good though. We rarely go home with just a few, you know lol
yaa...i like fishing out there..its similar to fishing the sound over here...the guy i fish with has this gravois skiff with twin 150 e-techs...so we get out there pretty quick and are always home before lunch time...
Old 09-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopedale Hustler View Post
yaa...i like fishing out there..its similar to fishing the sound over here...the guy i fish with has this gravois skiff with twin 150 e-techs...so we get out there pretty quick and are always home before lunch time...
dammm... we don't catch our limits very often lol We usually catch some solid fish though. Wish we could afford us a camp over there lol driving an hour and 15 minutes gets old after a while
Old 09-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montak17 View Post
im pretty sure they spawn all summer long.....
i always thought it was an early summer thing... I'm just used to bass fishing still I guess lol They spawn much earlier than the trout
Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 PM
King Mackeral

yaa..well im just lucky witht he camp..just so happens that my best friend who i knew mah whole life owns it..thier whole family owns all the don's seafood huts.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Cypremort point has the most overpriced land that ive seen in south la....there nuts. I still dont understand why they dont build a nice campground,it would stay full.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
V. Bay fisherman: The trout are moving in!! We had a good time fishing the bay this weekend, got to catch some good solid trout in the bay around the cove and even into sharks bayou. Birds worked all day long, could of caught a million white trout if you wanted, but there were a couple of specs under them, just had to throw a little bigger bait. Caught 2 gulls, and rescued one that some A-hole boat left to suffer Also caught one 23" trout while reeling in a smaller white trout, that was pretty neat. Dad also caught a 23 1/2" trout at a popular fall fishing spot lol Sorry no pictures, but hey who hasn't seen trout before and it wasn't that many. One question.. whats a good artificial bait to catch spanish on? They were jumping 5-8 ft out of the water and couldn't get them to hit us for nothing. Tried sand eel jrs, cocahoes, sparkle beetles, topwater, and a few other things. Only got one hit reeling in my topwater really fast lol

Heres my question....while I was cleaning the fish we caught at V. Bay this weekend, I noticed that nearly all the trout were full of eggs still. When do they usually spawn? I always thought that there spawning was from april to juneish???? I was just wondering if they go through a second spawn late in the year. Sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm fairly new to spec fishing and still learning A LOT! Thanks
What bait to catch Spanish M....... I have had luck with a silver spoon. They will go after something "flashy". They will cut through mono fishing line......so a small leader is needed. I have caught 12" to 14" Spanish on silver spoons with no leader but they can cut you line.

Sometimes there are Spanish M at the Cameron jetties.

Trout Spawn several times during the spring and summer. I don't remember just how many times, but I believe it is about 3 times. I caught a 3+ pounder a couple of days ago.....and she had eggs in her that were still a dull orange color, so I guess she would not have layed the eggs for another week or two.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022
Default spawn...

I believe they spawn once a month.

BD