SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864
Default My Big Lake 2 Cents

This is from the Spring of 2009 from another message board. I dug it out of the archives, dusted it off and thought since fishing season is here it would be a good time to re-post this. Many of you read and commented on this last spring. All of the comments were right on point and so take it for what it is worth. Pull up a comfortable chair, get comfortable, and enjoy!

MY Big Lake analysis:

Ok, so I have been reading all of the posts about Big Lake (Lake Calcasieu). I have not had time until now to sit down and put my thoughts in a post. I am not a professional fisherman nor a guide. I am, like most on here, a weekend warrior. However, I have been fishing Big Lake for over 30 years. I don't claim to know everything about the lake or all of the techniques different people use to be successful. However, I do know how to fish the lake and catch fish consistently.

So, here is the biggest dilema facing Big Lake: It is a huge lake that fishes very small. Most of you who fish there know what I mean. Basically you have a large body of water with very few consistent "fishy" spots. There are only so many reefs and "holes" that consistently hold fish. And these spots hold fish at different times of the year and under different circumstances. THIS is what makes Big Lake a tough place to fish most of the time.

There are times when almost anyone, whether a seasoned veteran or a novice, can catch fish. One of these times is when the fish are 'under' the birds. This happens 2-3 times per year. The problem with this situation is that when this occurs the lake REALLY fishes small. Too often too many boats try to fish a group of birds and "crowd" the bait/birds and the school of fish dissipate and move. They will come up again, but the same thing happens with too many boats on too few flocks of birds. Tempers flare when a boat or boats are on a flock of birds and other boats crowd in scaring the fish/birds/bait. I never move in on a boat fishing birds unless the flock is very big and there is only one boat on the birds. I even hesitate to move in then. I NEVER move in if there are 2 or more boats or if the flock is small (fewer than a dozen birds).

Another time when a novice has as good a chance as a pro is when the fish are at the Jetties. This occurs normally from July to August. Again, tempers flare when too many boats crowd between other anchored boats. Those who are used to fishing the Jetties know that you can fish pretty close to other boats but not TOO close. This is the fine line we must all learn. I like to keep at least 100' between boats but have seen it when boats were only 25' from one another. This is too crowded. If boats would respect distances then tempers would be kept under control.

So, in general, areas to fish on Big Lake are: Oyster Reefs, Jetties, Ship Channel, Weirs, West Cove, sandy beaches and shorelines. Also you can fish outside the main estuary in places like the beaches, the close-in rigs, Black Lake, Brown's lake, Salt Ditch, Intracoastal, LNG, Moss Lake, and all the way to the Saltwater Barrier. All of the places hold fish at certain times of the year -- learn when and you will be more successful.

Speaking of the Weirs, this is another place where tempers can flare if fishermen don't know the rules of the road there. There are posted spots where boats are not allowed to anchor. How many of you have seen boats disregard these signs and fish right in the middle of the entrance to Grand Bayou? Navigation is very tricky getting into and out of the Grand Bayou boat passage especially during times of strong tidal movement. Many boats hitting the walls keep Olmstede shipyard in the fiberglass repair business!

Again, like the jetties, crowding too close to another boat fishing the weirs is the number one reason for voices to raise and words exchanged. Keep a suitable distance and we all will be fine.

One complaint I have heard, and have personally witnessed, are boaters who don't have knowledge of Big Lake simply driving around looking for othere boats congregated catching fish. This is fine as long as you are courteous and respectful of those anchored or drifting reefs. Too many boats from Texas used to not have trolling motors. They are getting much better, though, as I see most boats from Texas now have trolling motors. These are a must for successfully fishing Big Lake. However, over-using them can be equally as devastating to schools of fish. So, use them on the lowest power setting possible. AND, when you are fishing in a group of boats and decide to leave kindly use your trolling motor to get out of the pack at least 100 yds. before cranking your motor.

Ok, so onto the topic of fishing guides. These guys are making their living on the water. However, this does not give them preferential treatment or preferred access to cerain areas of the estuary. I treat guide boats just like I treat recreational boats -- with respect. I know many guides and also those who own/operate guide services. Sometimes they give me helpful information on where to fish. Sometimes not. Hey, that is ok with me. I find my own fish (most of the time). Some guides are more friendly and tolerant of others, some are less. When I encounter an unfriendly guide I used to exchange words tit for tat. That got me nowhere but mad so now I simply slip away quietly. I am out there to relax and have fun. There is no reason for me to get my blood pressure up over a stinkin' slimy fish.

Some helpful tips I have found to make a trip to Big Lake Successful: 1. Get up early and get to the spots you wish to fish. 2. Know where the fish are biting (or should be biting at that particular time of year). 3. Show other boats the same courtesy you would expect of them. 4. Weekend fishing is crowded - try taking a day of vacation on a Monday or Tuesday every now and then. And Finally, 5. Be safe and have fun!!!

Like I said in my opening: I don't claim to know everything about Big Lake. I try hard to catch fish and most times I end up with a good mess; many times I catch a limit of great fish. I wish I knew more about flounder fishing as this is the only fish I don't routinely catch or target. They sure are good, though. I welcome any comment or CONSTRUCTIVE criticism from anyone reading this post. It is my desire to become a better fisherman and welcome any tips/hints to improving my "game".

Thanks for reading this long post!

Latt Soileau
Moss Bluff, LA
Old 03-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,329

Dear Latt, when did you find the time to drop this novel?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,530

I remember this post from last year...good post though!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

i like it
Old 03-30-2010, 08:40 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,811

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
I remember this post from last year...good post though!
x2
Old 03-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
x2

X3
Old 03-30-2010, 09:32 PM
King Mackeral

Thumbs up novel

I just got fed up last year when a lot of whining was going on about Big Lake. I sat down one evening and rattled off a few chapters! LOL.

Just how I see it man!

Tight Lines!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 924
Thumbs up

Darn good post no matter how many times it's repeated.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,333

Welcome to Saltycajun Scubalatt.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 PM
King Mackeral

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndamendment View Post
Welcome to Saltycajun Scubalatt.
Thanks!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 PM
King Mackeral

What is this "Cash" I have been awarded? What is it used for? Please disregard my ignorance -- this is the first night here.

Thanks,

Latt
Old 03-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Welcome..darn we got a good lil crowd from the bluff
Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,811

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post
What is this "Cash" I have been awarded? What is it used for? Please disregard my ignorance -- this is the first night here.

Thanks,

Latt
They occasionally have a raffle for an item and you buy tickets with your cash....
Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Quote:

Thanks,

Latt
http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/faq....#faq_aboutcash

a little more detail!

Welcome to group of good ol fashioned crazy folk!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 03-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,466

If you do cuss someone and they ask you to head to the bank to handle things do not be a punk, head to the bank and learn some manners the hard way.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by evis102 View Post
If you do cuss someone and they ask you to head to the bank to handle things do not be a punk, head to the bank and learn some manners the hard way.
You'll get all muddy and stuff eeewww....
Old 03-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902
Default might get all muddy! ewww

Quote:
Originally Posted by evis102 View Post
In that case the two fighty's both need to learn some manners, if your cussing him, he obviously has no idea of any manners on the water, and your just out there cussing him.

other than that, great post
Old 03-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

Quote:
MY Big Lake analysis:

Ok, so I have been reading all of the posts about Big Lake (Lake Calcasieu). I have not had time until now to sit down and put my thoughts in a post. I am not a professional fisherman nor a guide. I am, like most on here, a weekend warrior. However, I have been fishing Big Lake for over 30 years. I don't claim to know everything about the lake or all of the techniques different people use to be successful. However, I do know how to fish the lake and catch fish consistently.

uh oh
Old 03-30-2010, 10:07 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak'em-n-stack'em View Post
uh oh

Uh Oh?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

sorry, its from a debate over the weekend between me and a few other A-holes like myself lol

welcome aboard, and great post man, i agree with everything you said