SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-31-2015, 08:57 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486
Default Leaders on topwater baits

I've recently tried to be better about tying leaders to main line. One thing I'm mixed on is application with topwaters. Do you use mono or fluoro (I don't like fluoro because it sinks) Do you connect with a loop knot with a leader (I've found that a loop often fouls with front trebles)

What say y'all?
Old 07-31-2015, 10:08 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

There is no right or wrong way to do it.

As for mono or flouro leader, the difference between them is so minute in sink ratio that it's not really worth worrying about. I've used both and it hardly makes a difference. What may make a bigger difference is the pound test of that leader. I like to use 20lb leader material, it's stiffer than 10 and 15 and it will hold up against the abrasion and fins of a big red. Unless you are fishing shallow oyster beds, you really don't need the fluoro leader. 20b mono will be just fine for almost everything.

Many will join a main line to a leader with a uni to uni, crazy alberto, nail knot, or surgeons knot.

Loop knots typically allow the lure to have better action. I use a loop knot on everything from topwaters to jig heads. A properly tied loop knot should only be about an 1/8th or 1/4inch in diameter. it should not be so big that it fouls the trebles.

Hope that helps, always feel free to holla at me with fish finding questions...
tobin@troutsupport.com
Old 07-31-2015, 10:36 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Thank you. My issue has always been getting the loop in a loop knot small enough to not cause an issue. I have infrequently used a uni knot in creating whatever size loop I want, but the issue there being pulling it back into a loop after catching a fish or anything else that puts stress on the knot. I worry about the line being damaged in pulling it free and every now and then the knot being stubborn and not coming off of the eyelet easily.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

just use a split ring on the bait, then tie your knot direct to it, it solves all that

I really don't understand why all top water baits don't come equipt with split rings already on them?

just buy a few packs of split rings and put them on every hard plastic bait you have
Old 08-01-2015, 12:47 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,109

I use the mirro lure loop knot on my leader (30 lb braid to 20 lb mono). I find it to be the easiest loop knot to tie but it will not hold on anything less than about 15 lb mono. I have never had it fail but with loop knots you have to check them every so often. I find that mono makes a slimmer line to leader knot than flouro and goes through the eyes better and does not cause the head of a top water to drag.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

I use 50 pound braid tied to a 18" leader of 30lb mono with a loop knot. Been using the lews 8 strand braid,awesome line. It is overkill but you don't have to retie during a day of fishing. I like the shorter leader cause I am not a fan of banging a knot through expensive guides.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,263

I use 50# braid with 25# flouro then use a quick connect which makes changing baits a snap and works with everything from jig heads to topwaters without the necessity of retying every time I change baits. I landed everything from 50# drum to 1/2 pound hardheads without problems. I also can use that setup for an entire season without issues except reattaching a new leader occasionally. The setup is so strong I have hoisted old crab traps out of the water that I have hooked unintentionally while dragging bottom. you just have to be sure to get a strong enough quick connect for line strength you are using.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkieB View Post
I use the mirro lure loop knot on my leader (30 lb braid to 20 lb mono).
Mirrolure knot is a good one, I use a clinch loop, there are others and the idea is to tie a specific loop knot.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
I use 50 pound braid tied to a 18" leader of 30lb mono with a loop knot. Been using the lews 8 strand braid,awesome line. It is overkill but you don't have to retie during a day of fishing. I like the shorter leader cause I am not a fan of banging a knot through expensive guides.

Try this knot.
http://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fg-knot/
Old 08-03-2015, 05:23 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

30lb braid to 20lb fluro uni to uni knot thats how all my baitcasters are rigged
Old 08-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

I use straight 15# mono for TW and straight 15# flouro for jigheads. Sometimes I use the mono on the jigheads too, but that's usually when the fish are up shallow and I don't need my bait to get down through the current and everything. The flouro definitely helps keep your bait down
Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Redfish

Cash: 773

I prefer no leader on topwater baits, tie directly to 50lb Power Pro. Better action and the fish don't mind at all. I've had 3 people on my boat throwing the same She Dog, I was the only one not fishing mono or with a leader, my presentation outfished them all.

Your results may vary.