SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 02-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Redfish

Cash: 2,437
Default Venice Yellowfin Tuna

I have been on the water a lot over the last few weeks! The fishing has been awesome! There have been a few big fish caught but the bite has not been consistent yet! I have spent most of my days at the floaters chasing down 30-60 pound yellowfin and we have had a blast! Most days we are able to get our limit of amberjack as well!

Not sure when my last post was but I will start off on Feb 12th, Daniel Ledet had his crew on the boat, We were able to land 5 nice yellowfin and 3 amberjack! We were looking for a few wahoo that we never found!

Sunday, 13th we had Wesley Decotes bachelor party out fishing! Well, we had half and half were on another boat! Capt Gray was nice enough to be my deck hand for the day, I think the customers had more fun listening to us argue than cathing fish, ha ha! We had a good time! We were able to get a few fish on poppers and a few on chunks! I think we finished up the day with 8 yellowfin and 5 amberjack!

Mark Primeaux fished the 15th, this was his 2nd trip in two months looking for
tuna and wahoo! First trip in Jan, we were not able to find either! This trip, we did find one stud wahoo and two yellowfin and a limit of amberjack! I really wanted to put Mark on a pile of tuna but we only found the two! The big wahoo was a nice bonus! The hooter was caught at one of the floaters!

Gunnar was on the boat the 16th and 17th! First day we ran far to find the tuna, we found 4 nice yellowfin and another big hooter at the floaters! All tuna on chunks this day! Come back in to pull for more wahoo, no luck! Drop down for amberjack and it was game on! These big jacks will let you know who is boss! Next day we went to find the big tuna! Fished hard all day, last boat to leave but not one big tuna bite! We did have a blast loading the boat with 20-30 pound blackfin! Ended up with 16 stud blacks!

Paul Myers had his crew that was put together online, fishing with us on the 19th! We fished hard all morning for big tuna, no luck, we decided to run and look for wahoo and jacks! Found a fast limit of big amberjack, no wahoo! These guys really wanted tuna so we decided to make a 40 mile run to find some! 16 yellowfin is what we found! All caught after 3pm! The bite was hot, fish chasing flying fish and were happy to take a popper, live bait, chunks, whatever we could throw at them! Thanks paul for an awesome crew!

Last year I booked a guy to fish, his name is Andrew James! The trip was paid in full and the oil spill happened and we were not able to fish! I asked andrew if he wanted a refund and he told me, I want to fish! Let me know when I can come back, I want to fish! So that day was Feb 20th! Andrew fished inshore with Capt RJ on the 19th, had a blast, caught plenty of
redfish and was now ready for tuna! We decided to catch amberjack and troll for wahoo first! Again, the limit of amberjack was fast but never found any wahoo! Off to the tuna grounds we went, we didnt see much going on at first but that would soon change! Didnt take long before we had a fish on! The tuna were still hungry and I think the popper landed the first fish! My favorite part of the whole trip was the 10 year old that landed his limit of yellowfin and his amberjack! Some were caught in the rod holder but some where with him in a Braid Power Play harness, he even sent out the chunk, set the drag when the fish ate and turned the clicker off, like he had done this a hundred times! It was awesome! In fact, he caught the big fish of the day, a 57 pound yellowfin! Nice job Alex!

Tuesday we had a real treat! Chris Macaluso and a sports writer and photographer were out with us to take pictures of fish and write about how awesome the gulf is to fish! We were able to land 7 nice yellowfin tuna, a limit of amberjack, a nice snowy
grouper, a huge trigger fish, a few small blackfin and an almaco jack! Keep an eye out for these pictures in magazines and newspapers! Chris was great to fish with, he is trying to let the world see that the gulf coast is safe to fish, the fishing is great and you would be crazy to fish anywhere else! Chris and Sam have a radio program on 104.5 ESPN radio every Wednesday at 7pm called LA outside, its a cool show! They had myself and an inshore guide from Grand isle on last night to give the fishing report and they are pushing the areas and all it has to offer on every show! Thanks for the support guys!

I will be back on the water Friday for a 12 day stretch with a only a couple of days off! The fishing is great right now! The big fish are just showing up now so if 100+ is what you are looking for, they should turn on any day! Capt Gray and I still have open dates to fish! The New freeman is a fishing machine, come see for yourself! I will post pictures so you can see what we are catching!

Lets Go Fishing

Capt Josh Howard
225-572-7408
deepsouthcharters@cox.net
www.deepsouthcharters.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Feb2011 067.jpg (75.7 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Feb2011 117.jpg (52.8 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Feb2011 136.jpg (62.2 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Feb2011 155.jpg (64.0 KB, 196 views)
Old 02-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Hey Capt......this is Tim from the 19th......my fever turned into pneumonia and I ended up in the hospital!!! But I wouldn't have traded the trip knowing the outcome......I've given your name and number to at least 15 people.......ill be seeing ya again Capt!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Awesome trip for sure...ready to go get em again asap!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Redfish

Default !!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Hey Capt......this is Tim from the 19th......my fever turned into pneumonia and I ended up in the hospital!!! But I wouldn't have traded the trip knowing the outcome......I've given your name and number to at least 15 people.......ill be seeing ya again Capt!!!
Damn, you were really sick after all! ha ha! Hope you are well soon! Had a blast!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthcharters View Post
Damn, you were really sick after all! ha ha! Hope you are well soon! Had a blast!

He is a P.......
Old 02-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
He is a P.......
x2...nothing a lil crown can't fix
Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Blue Marlin

102.5 fever most of the day.......had 102.9 when I left the house to go to Venice......***** my ***.....
Old 02-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
102.5 fever most of the day.......had 102.9 when I left the house to go to Venice......***** my ***.....
ok...you can have your man card back, fishin with 102 fever, i'd rather not
Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
You looked like a ghost when we got back to the marina. I would have done the same thing,a trip to remember for sure.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
ok...you can have your man card back, fishin with 102 fever, i'd rather not
Fool......you gotta earn a man card before you attempt to pull or give one back.......it'll come with time bro, but you ain't got it yet
Old 02-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

Boom
Old 02-25-2011, 12:49 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
You looked like a ghost when we got back to the marina. I would have done the same thing,a trip to remember for sure.
I seriously thought about making him go to the hospital on the way back on sunday... I know I wouldnt have passed it up either though
Old 02-26-2011, 12:41 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,763
Thumbs up Deep South Charters

I can honestly say i had the one of the best times on the water w/ Capt Josh chartering us and I've been on some good fishing trips from the here to Hawaii! Thanks for the memories and i look forward to the next trip on that BEAST of a boat "Looney Tuna"! And Dink...cigarettes aren't a "painkiller" for pneumonia!
Glad your better!
Captain...here's a better pic of the crew and the catch:
THX!!!
IMG_0903.jpg
Old 02-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Tim you want a real man card...fish a tournament out of town on your 5 year anniversary and her birthday!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:40 AM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,823

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Tim you want a real man card...fish a tournament out of town on your 5 year anniversary and her birthday!!!
Or make an offshore fishing trip the day before her due date. I told her that kid was going to come out whether I was there or not. I made her sister come stay with her and I went fishing.

I got home about midnight and she woke me up at 3am when her water broke. I told her I timed it like that. She still gives me a hard time about it every now and then but she does it with a smile.

I have my man card!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:23 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahunaz View Post
I can honestly say i had the one of the best times on the water w/ Capt Josh chartering us and I've been on some good fishing trips from the here to Hawaii! Thanks for the memories and i look forward to the next trip on that BEAST of a boat "Looney Tuna"! And Dink...cigarettes aren't a "painkiller" for pneumonia!
Glad your better!
Captain...here's a better pic of the crew and the catch:
THX!!!
Attachment 18221
thanks, looks like your camera likes the fog bettan than mine!! ha ha