SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 01-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,391
Default Gear advice

Alright guys. Now that I am on the same hitch with someone I can fish with, I figured it's time for me to start getting my saltwater gear in line. What is a good length and action rod for trout? I've been strictly a bass fisherman all my life, so most of my rods are med/hvy. Also, what is a good gear ratio to fish with? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,547

trout rod = 6.5 to 7ft med light action with a fast tip... the action you need will vary for throwing top water or plastics...
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 AM

Cash: 376

All I fish with is 7ft med & med light for trout. 7ft med/heavy for reds!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

7.1 ratio curado 200e7
Old 01-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Any good name brand rod with a medium action is a good all around trout/redfish rod. Most people prefer a medium light or even light action rod for trout. For the reel,you can't go wrong with any shimano product.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,393

7' Okuma C3 medium light Spinninng Rod, Okuma Inspira 30 Spinning Reel.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 PM

Cash: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast View Post
7' Okuma C3 medium light Spinninng Rod, Okuma Inspira 30 Spinning Reel.
i love my Inspira 30 Spinning Reel, i have a new Okuma Trio 30 Spinning Reel on the way!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

falcon cenderi ti 7ft light with a shimano chronarch or curado for jig rod

st.croix tourney ledgend 7ft med. with a chronarch or curado for topwater, jerkbaits,
Old 01-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 650

Same setup as pox for jigs (with Curado 200E7)
7ft medium "Cajun Limb" feels like fast action for jerks, tops etc... w/curado 200E7
7'2" Shimano Crucial medium spinning with Shimano Saros 3000 for popping cork

All of my bass stuff is 7ft medium heavy or heavy / fast or extra fast. I use 20lb powerpro for salt and 50lb for bass.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Alright guys. Now that I am on the same hitch with someone I can fish with, I figured it's time for me to start getting my saltwater gear in line. What is a good length and action rod for trout? I've been strictly a bass fisherman all my life, so most of my rods are med/hvy. Also, what is a good gear ratio to fish with? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i tell you what man if your looking to budget it's hard to beat the 50 dollar all star and castaway medium light academy specials. put a shimano citica on it and go to town.

i have a couple all star 6'-5" wader specials that are a light sensitive little stick for 49 bucks.

i use a medium action for throwing plugs. medium light can do jigs and plugs
Old 01-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Any gear ratio of 5:1 or higher will do fine for saltwater fishing. I have the "green" Curado which has a 6.2:1 ratio.

For fishing line......most trout fishermen use a 12 mono [sometimes a little heavier] or some use 20 or 30 lb braided line. If you go with too heavy of a line.....you will not get as many "hits". Light line = more lure action.

Most of your "Bass" lures will catch Reds.....but the hooks need to be changed to something made for Saltwater so it will not rust after the first time you use the bait. Use a strong hook.......a big Red will staighten out most "Bass" hooks. Set the drag light helps.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Flounder

Cash: 600
Default With you there

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
i tell you what man if your looking to budget it's hard to beat the 50 dollar all star and castaway medium light academy specials. put a shimano citica on it and go to town.

i have a couple all star 6'-5" wader specials that are a light sensitive little stick for 49 bucks.

i use a medium action for throwing plugs. medium light can do jigs and plugs
Sums up the way I go also. Leave any heavy action stuff at home unless you like rippin' lips and loosing fish. Just make sure you take a good look at the eye placement of those "specials". They can look like the guy that put them on was smokin' some serious green leaf! I bought a 7' 6" Allstar and had to really search for one that had the eyes properly aligned. Looked at about 7 different rods before finding one with the eyes lined up. I prefer the Castaway 7' SLX 3 Series medium action matched with my Curado 201e7. This baby has survided some brutal fish and even been totally sumerged in Big Lake and has never given me an ounce of trouble. A durable combination with a great feel for those light bites you tend to get with larger trout or on those cold days when its like you're jig fishing for bass and the only indication of a fish on the end of your line is the movement going upstream. My rods all range in date from about 10 years old to 2 months old and my reels are all Shimano (mostly Curados) rangeing from about 15 years to 2 years old. You can get far better quality rods from a custom rod builder but will pay a good bit more also. I tend to budget more for my reels than I do the rods because if someone or something lands on one of my reels, I'm quite certain it will survive better than the rod. I'm sure they are really nice by all the testamonies on this site, but a little out of my reach for right now. If you can afford a custom rod, stick with someone like BillyStik. This guy has offered to go beyond what is needed to get your business. Obama's change and life's unexpected surprises keep me away from the customs so I make do with what I can afford.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Red Devil........another tip. When catching Specked Trout, forget Bass style "set the hook" jurk on the rod. This will just pull the hook out of the fishes mouth.

There was a thread on this subject a few months ago. Most Trout fishermen just reel up the slack fast and raise the rod tip to straight up.....not "jurk" the rod tip.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Red Devil........another tip. When catching Specked Trout, forget Bass style "set the hook" jurk on the rod. This will just pull the hook out of the fishes mouth.

There was a thread on this subject a few months ago. Most Trout fishermen just reel up the slack fast and raise the rod tip to straight up.....not "jurk" the rod tip.
Unless you're fishing a jerkbait like a Bomber Long "A". With 9 hooks, you want to stick as many as possible because they will throw 'em.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Unless you're fishing a jerkbait like a Bomber Long "A". With 9 hooks, you want to stick as many as possible because they will throw 'em.
I agree with Salty on this one. I set the hook about 1/4 as hard as I do on bass, but I definitely set the hook. My light action rod absorbs a lot of the shock so the hook does not tear the fishes mouth. When fishing treble hook baits I tighten the line and put pressure on the fish.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Red holla when you have nothing to do!!! Will go to Academy and hook you up under$300 with some good stuff
Old 01-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Red holla when you have nothing to do!!! Will go to Academy and hook you up under$300 with some good stuff
Just give him the $300 and let him do it himself.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Cool deal guys. Thanks for the input. W, I'll let ya know.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz20 View Post
I agree with Salty on this one. I set the hook about 1/4 as hard as I do on bass, but I definitely set the hook. My light action rod absorbs a lot of the shock so the hook does not tear the fishes mouth. When fishing treble hook baits I tighten the line and put pressure on the fish.

why dont you tell us about your hook set that ended the cumaras life.....on a 3/4b white trout *****!!!!

that is an understatement!! i have never seen you catch a trout that hasnt suffered for sever neck and lip trauma!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Trophy Trout