SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > DIY Forum

DIY Forum This forum is for discussion of Do-It-Yourself projects, including home building and remodeling, automotive repair, etc.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:20 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,802
Default any masonry guys out there?

I need to make some 5ft wide x 5ft deep step landings for my house in golden meadow

they need to be high (42") so I want to build cinder block walls then pour a slap on top but im not sure the best way to do that.

I plan to fill the cores full of rebar and concrete to lock it all together so should I mortar them together or just use masonry bonding epoxy glue and just glue them together with no mortar gaps in a nearly seamless look?

in addition, I need to know how best do I bond them to the existing concrete slab? should I just use masonry bonding epoxy glue for this bond?

and what should I do (if anything) to pre-plan for railing attachments?

im also looking for tips on the best materials and method to create the steps going up to the landing.

I have poured platforms and slabs before so I am confident I can do whatever is involved even though I have never done any block work before so any advice for a novice with no idea whats involved, is welcome

thanks for any help you can give me guys

Last edited by keakar; 04-18-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Does the existing slab have any footing to support the additional weight of the block and new concrete?

If so I'd drill into the existing slab and epoxy rebar into the holes . Lay the block in a running bond with dura wall in between each course , ( it looks like a wire ladder) . Back fill the cavities with concrete . Let it cure, back fill the "ring" chainwall and form whatever decorative edge you may want on the slab , pour the concrete as normal
Old 04-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
Does the existing slab have any footing to support the additional weight of the block and new concrete?

If so I'd drill into the existing slab and epoxy rebar into the holes . Lay the block in a running bond with dura wall in between each course , ( it looks like a wire ladder) . Back fill the cavities with concrete . Let it cure, back fill the "ring" chainwall and form whatever decorative edge you may want on the slab , pour the concrete as normal
thanks

when I had the slab poured I told the guys I needed it extra strong by the doors so it would support concrete steps and landings but I wasn't there when it was done so they "said" they made the slab there around 6" deep to support the extra weight of steps and platform.

I could always lay out the pattern and cut out 12" wide sections where the blocks will go and re-pour just the footing area for the landing at around 12" deep and set rebar in it to tie into the blocks.

if you think I should really be concerned about the weight load then I will cut it out and make footings for it because I want this thing done right the first time and the worst case scenario is I might have just a regular 4" thick slab under there.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:21 PM
Blue Marlin

I will put 8" deep footings (plus the 4" thick slab) 12" total depth on pads that we build masonry steps on . There are tons of builders that just pour a 4" slab and build steps. I can't sleep at night doing that , Id feel like I'm ripping them off .

But 42" high of material sitting on that is a lot of weight . You could dig around the perimeter n pour some footings
Old 04-18-2015, 10:31 PM
Blue Marlin

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429413913.595461.jpg

Here is a pad for stairs that is integrated in the original pad ( unlike yours . I'm guessing your house is on piers and you have a slab poured to build steps on ) , but note the finished height of slab ,and depth ( thickness) of base on which stairs will sit . It is within inches of the grade you said yours was to be .
Other option would be tear out the pad and pour concrete steps with footings as a monolithic pour , you could back fill your form on the stair section so you weren't using as much concrete ( similar to the chainwall method)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 04-19-2015, 11:54 AM
Red Snapper

well after I had the house raised and the chain wall put in for the house foundation, I had a 4" slab poured on two sides of the house (front and side) so where the stairs are going its the middle of a 5ft by 30ft slab 4" thick and made with reinforced fibers only and no wire or rebar in it. the one for the side door is within 2ft of the end of a 10ft by 30ft slab 4" thick. (the house is small 2BR 30x30)

I told the guys to make it thicker by the doors to support concrete steps to be built later but I couldn't be there to oversee it and just have to "trust" they did it and didn't just say they did. what the guy told me was he made it 6" thick at the area for the doors. I have no idea if they really did that or not since I left before the forming was completed and the slab poured.

as you can see, this isn't a pad poured for the steps but more like a driveway its going to be sitting on.

I can cut this existing slab with a skill saw and diamond blade to do a cut out of the existing slab to create new step footings "after the fact" or I can pour a 7" slab footing on top of the existing 4" slab to have a 11" above ground chain wall for it . pouring this footing on top creates the "first step" of the stairs and at the same time will make the foundation 11" thick would be easier then cutting into the existing slab if you think that would be a good idea. I am assuming the thickness is what is important rather then if its above or below ground.

Last edited by keakar; 04-19-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:37 PM
Red Snapper

with the advice you have given me along with the very helpful diagram im sure I can figure out how to do this thing the right way.
thank you for all your help

one last question if you don't mind, what size rebar would you suggest I use for the footings and I will also use rebar in the vertical block cores as well so should I use all the same or go with smaller rebar for the verticals?