SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > DIY Forum

DIY Forum This forum is for discussion of Do-It-Yourself projects, including home building and remodeling, automotive repair, etc.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:54 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 462
Default Cypress swing

At the request of my wife wanting to add a swing to our newly installed carport I decided to try and build one myself. Reason for that is she wanted something that stood out from every other ordinary swing she has seen in her lifetime growing up in south louisiana. Her actual request sounded something like this. "I want one made out of some pretty cypress and I don't want the seat part to have them spaces between the wood cause they leave lines on ya behind! Ohh and I want cup holders in the armrest and I don't want them chains in the armrest either cause that just gets in the way." So with my limited woodworking experience and tools I decided well I guess I better find some cypress first. After a week of searching I finally found what I needed and began the two day journey closed up in my shop (because of all the rain last weekend) and built something that I must say made me (and her) quite happy with. Here are a couple of pictures of it with the first coat of polyurethane on it. Thanks for looking and tell me what yall think! uploadfromtaptalk1446141183431.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446141193717.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,807

That's real nice.. Great job!!
Old 10-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,142
Default cypress swing

Looks great. I like the curved seat....more comfortable than a flat one. Better throw away the prints or the neighbors will want one.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:53 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

Wow that is some awesome craftsmanship. It turned out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

That looks great
Old 10-29-2015, 09:19 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

Really nice.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:31 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbert Chamblee View Post
Looks great. I like the curved seat....more comfortable than a flat one. Better throw away the prints or the neighbors will want one.
Too late I've already got two or three requested by neighbors and family.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:17 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconner337 View Post
At the request of my wife wanting to add a swing to our newly installed carport I decided to try and build one myself. Reason for that is she wanted something that stood out from every other ordinary swing she has seen in her lifetime growing up in south louisiana. Her actual request sounded something like this. "I want one made out of some pretty cypress and I don't want the seat part to have them spaces between the wood cause they leave lines on ya behind! Ohh and I want cup holders in the armrest and I don't want them chains in the armrest either cause that just gets in the way." So with my limited woodworking experience and tools I decided well I guess I better find some cypress first. After a week of searching I finally found what I needed and began the two day journey closed up in my shop (because of all the rain last weekend) and built something that I must say made me (and her) quite happy with. Here are a couple of pictures of it with the first coat of polyurethane on it. Thanks for looking and tell me what yall think! Attachment 97105Attachment 97106

It looks great......... but tell me what yall think

I am a little concerned with the strength of the wood around the Eye-bolt.

The "strength" comes from how much wood is above where the bolt is screwed into the wood. It looks like the wood is only about 1/2 inch thick and the bold is going "with the grain" and not across the grain, which means it is not very strong.

Suggestion..... mount a piece of flat bar [or L-shaped bracket] on the bottom side of that 2x4 and connect an Eye-bolt to the flat bar. You could cut off a couple inches of the 2x4 if you want to keep the total with of the swing the same.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:28 AM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
It looks great......... but tell me what yall think

I am a little concerned with the strength of the wood around the Eye-bolt.

The "strength" comes from how much wood is above where the bolt is screwed into the wood. It looks like the wood is only about 1/2 inch thick and the bold is going "with the grain" and not across the grain, which means it is not very strong.

Suggestion..... mount a piece of flat bar [or L-shaped bracket] on the bottom side of that 2x4 and connect an Eye-bolt to the flat bar. You could cut off a couple inches of the 2x4 if you want to keep the total with of the swing the same.
You know I never thought of that and what your saying makes sense. I just assumed since I put 3" eyebolts it would be plenty song enough. I will keep a close eye on it though. I really appreciate your feedback!

Old 10-30-2015, 11:29 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,559

Turned out great. Where did you find the cypress?

Not sure if it will be in a place where it could get wet or how green the boards are (possible shrinking to allow gaps), but with the seat boards so tight it may hold water.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:49 AM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand16 View Post
Turned out great. Where did you find the cypress?

Not sure if it will be in a place where it could get wet or how green the boards are (possible shrinking to allow gaps), but with the seat boards so tight it may hold water.
Thanks! I got the cypress in lafayette at acadian wood products. It will be hung near the center of our 25x60 carport so I'm not real concerned with it getting wet. Now whether if it was green or dry? Honestly I'm not sure I would now how to tell the difference.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 899

Awesome job!! If you ever build another try building one with a foot pedal. Once you use one, you will never go back. I don't have a pic of the one I built, but here is an example of one with a pedal.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446231739.205380.jpg
Old 10-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibb View Post
Awesome job!! If you ever build another try building one with a foot pedal. Once you use one, you will never go back. I don't have a pic of the one I built, but here is an example of one with a pedal.
Attachment 97166
Cool idea! I never seen one like that before.