SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > DIY Forum

DIY Forum This forum is for discussion of Do-It-Yourself projects, including home building and remodeling, automotive repair, etc.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486
Default Trailer lights: rear brake/blinker

Three different trailers, two different adapter plugs, and same problem:
all lights work on all trailers except the right rear brake light and right rear blinker.
Checked fuses on 2011 Silverado all are good.
Even indicator lights on adapter plugs show that the RRBrake and RRblinker should be working.
Any advice?
Old 11-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

I'm guessing you inspected the wires and changed the bulb right?
Old 11-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

Either you have a burnt bulb/bad connection on the green wire on all of your trailers or you have an issue with the vehicle or adapter.

From what you stated, I would look at the vehicle plug first. It is possible that the plug is making a connection enough to light the LED on the adapter but cant produce the amperage to light the bulb. Make sure none of the pins in the receptacle are bent and that should rule out the vehicle.

With the 7 way connectors I see alot of people plug it straight in. When you do this you have to seat all connectors in the plug at the same time. What I do is put pressure on the plug and move it in a circular motion as you plug it in to ensure it seats properly. Reverse to remove.

The quickest way to determine if its the vehicle, adapter, or trailer is to hook a buddys truck up to it and see what happens.

If you cant get a buddy to come out, check the bulbs, and trace the green wire back looking at all of the connections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailer.jpg (30.4 KB, 240 views)
Old 11-03-2015, 08:24 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

While on this subject, does anyone know where I can get some re-wiring done on my bass boat for a reasonable price, or have an idea on a price to pretty much completely re-wire a boat? Have had the tarp over it since June, and recently noticed the plug was still in...and that the cover had slid off on one corner, so the entire boat held water for a while and pretty much every connector is corroded away on the batteries and on the switch board at the console. Not sure if I should run all new wire or just splice and put new connectors?

Btw be careful of your buddies truck when hooking up the lights, I had some transmission problems one day this spring so we took my buds truck and promptly pulled the whole thing off after the first sharp turn bc his hitch was further from the truck than mine...
Old 11-03-2015, 09:57 AM
Tripletail

I didn't check bulbs since it's doing this on three different trailers.
I do not believe it's the adapter plug sonic this happens with two different ones.
I will try it on another truck to rule out trailers/adapter issues.
I will test my trucks plug in receiver with ohm meter or volt meter (I think autozone will do it) and go from there.

(It's got to be my truck I just don't know where/why!)
Old 11-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Tripletail

So I took it to Utec in Lafayette and they hooked up their tester: problem is not the truck.
I'll have to check the trailers I guess. strange since it does this with three different trailers, same problem, same light.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlangle View Post
So I took it to Utec in Lafayette and they hooked up their tester: problem is not the truck.
I'll have to check the trailers I guess. strange since it does this with three different trailers, same problem, same light.
That's strange. Did you ever test with another truck? Just to see what happens.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:11 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlangle View Post
missed the part about 3 trailers. I would try hooking it to a different truck just to be sure.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,802

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
While on this subject, does anyone know where I can get some re-wiring done on my bass boat for a reasonable price, or have an idea on a price to pretty much completely re-wire a boat? Have had the tarp over it since June, and recently noticed the plug was still in...and that the cover had slid off on one corner, so the entire boat held water for a while and pretty much every connector is corroded away on the batteries and on the switch board at the console. Not sure if I should run all new wire or just splice and put new connectors? ...
don't waste your time, rewire the entire boat, if not you will be fighting endless electrical gremlins every time you go out and its not worth being stranded on the water
Old 11-08-2015, 06:45 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 583

Tow haul fuse on the truck. had it happen to me on an titan and a fuse was under the dash by the break pedal.