SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Trading Floor (Investing, Stocks, Bonds)

The Trading Floor (Investing, Stocks, Bonds) Discuss investing and investments here! Do your own due diligence before investing. We are not responsible for any advice or recommendations within this forum!

Old 02-21-2016, 12:32 AM
Redfish

Cash: 365
Default Wall vs Main Street

There seems to be a disconnect between people who feel like they wouldn't invest in the stock market, but yet have IRA's or 401K's which are directly tied in to Wall Street. Capitalism & our free market society are why we are the greatest, most advanced & most profitable, and still set the standard for every other country on earth.

Last edited by Baychamp1; 02-21-2016 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:36 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

I would say about 1/2 the stocks that my IRAs have I also have money invested in them outside of my retirement accounts. I'm buying up as much oil stocks I can afford every month.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:42 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

IRA and the stock market ie oil is 2 different stocks. One is more of a risk and the other is a long term gain Mutual funds. Mutual funds and stocks oil r 2 different investments
Short term long term.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,086

IRA / 401k / mutual fund allow you to spread risk out over multiple areas(diversity)
Buying stock in one company has zero diversity.

Most people don't have the time or knowledge to sit down and look at individual stocks.

So using a mutual fund, 401k or IRA with suggested investments based on risk tolerance helps them to find success or just feel more confident.

The majority of people have no clue what they are invested in thru thier 401k , IRA or mutual funds..... They just hope it all works out.

Retirement plan 101....
Save money , pray it is enough someday to retire.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:18 AM
Sailfish

If anyone needs some assistance with mutual funds IRA /ROTH 401K etc. I can assist you with that!
Lawrence Willis aka alphaman.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:22 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaman View Post
IRA and the stock market ie oil is 2 different stocks. One is more of a risk and the other is a long term gain Mutual funds. Mutual funds and stocks oil r 2 different investments
Short term long term.

Huh? Ok here we go, when you retire most people rollover their 401K into a traditional IRA, it may consist of individual stocks, mutual funds, bond funds, etc. and cash. Within this IRA you can buy & sell within the account, (as long as you have the cash in there to cover the buy order) without any tax implications until you take a distribution, which will be taxed as ordinary income, even if you don't sell the stock or mutual fund, but instead transfer it out into a brokerage acct. same difference. Whereas in a non IRA brokerage acct. you're trades held over 1 yr. are long term (taxed at 15 pct. for most people) less than a yr. is. taxed as ordinary income, but in the non IRA you're able to offset some of your gains with losses, can't do in an IRA.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:26 PM
Sailfish

Yup your right. Which licence do you have? 6 7 26 63? I'll have my 6 and 63 nx month

Old 02-21-2016, 06:48 PM
Red Snapper

Let me clarify, I guess I should have been more detailed, I have a lot of ETFs in both of my IRAs, (I have 2 IRAs, one swap over from an old 401 as well a self contributing IRA) as well I have invested outside of IRAs in ETFs, Specifically the XLE ETF.

I monitor my ETF investments daily (easy to do with todays smart phones.) Ironically the ETFs I have invested in outside of my IRAs are some of the same ones I have in my IRAs, so I am able to monitor them both by watching a few ETFs I can make changes with one phone call minute by minute.

With smart phones its easy to follow by the day, hour minute. here a few screen shots of my phone

Old 02-21-2016, 07:35 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty f View Post
Let me clarify, I guess I should have been more detailed, I have a lot of ETFs in both of my IRAs, (I have 2 IRAs, one swap over from an old 401 as well a self contributing IRA) as well I have invested outside of IRAs in ETFs, Specifically the XLE ETF.

I monitor my ETF investments daily (easy to do with todays smart phones.) Ironically the ETFs I have invested in outside of my IRAs are some of the same ones I have in my IRAs, so I am able to monitor them both by watching a few ETFs I can make changes with one phone call minute by minute.

With smart phones its easy to follow by the day, hour minute. here a few screen shots of my phone

I use mainly E Trade & Chase for my non IRA trading & T Rowe Price for IRA. All trades done electronically. E Trade is frickin awesome, you can watch a security trade real time, real time bid & ask prices, I've watched a stock trade like this on my phone on the mobile site,placed my bid using my I Pad while logged in to their non mobile site, saw it enter on the bid side instantly & the instant it was executed.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:39 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychamp1 View Post
I use mainly E Trade & Chase for my non IRA trading & T Rowe Price for IRA. All trades done electronically. E Trade is frickin awesome, you can watch a security trade real time, real time bid & ask prices, I've watched a stock trade like this on my phone on the mobile site,placed my bid using my I Pad while logged in to their non mobile site, saw it enter on the bid side instantly & the instant it was executed.
I do the exact same but with Edward Jones
Old 02-21-2016, 08:39 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,086

Technology has changed the game of trading stocks and really the entire investment world has been revolutionized with new technology
Old 02-21-2016, 08:50 PM
Sailfish

I'm learning the new stuff as we speak. Series 6 and 63 coming soon which is needed for my business. At first this stock stuff was greek to me you guys talked about. . Now it I understand it all. I love it

Old 02-22-2016, 11:03 AM
Red Snapper

FYI

XLE jumped over 2% right out of the box this morning, from 56.47 has been as high as 58.23, seems to be hovering around 58

Oil is back over 30 as well talks of potential output freeze by key producers are helping

Last edited by marty f; 02-22-2016 at 11:17 AM.