SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939
Default Coastal Restoration Projects around V Bay to look out for

Got into groove and started studying restoration projects that could affect fishing in Vermilion Bay.

Most of these projects can be found here: http://sonlite.dnr.state.la.us/sundo...r_project_list

TV-54: South Central Coastal Plan
The project team, which includes the Office of Coastal Protection and Restoration, St Mary Parish, St. Martin Parish and Iberia Parish, have initiated a data gathering effort. We anticipate completing this phase of the project by the end of 2010. This information will be used kick start the project with the US Army corps of Engineers. Once study authorization is obtained from the US Congress the project will progress to the feasibility phase.

TE-110: Increase Atchafalaya Flow to Terrebonne.
The purpose of the project is to utilize freshwater and sediment from the Atchafalaya River in order to build, sustain, and maintain wetlands within the Terrebonne Basin. The project intends to dredge the GIWW east of the Atchafalaya and install a bypass structure at Bayou Boeuf Lock to increase freshwater and sediment flows from Atchafalaya River to Terrebonne marshes.

*This one could possibly divert enough fresh water to reduce the outflow of fresh water into Vermilion Bay.

TV-41: Shoreline Protection on Southwest Point at Southwest Pass
This project is located in Vermilion Parish. The goal of the project is to armor the shoreline via 8,759 linear feet of onshore revetment for the south shoreline of Vermilion Bay at Southwest Point. The funds allocated in the current project would be used to initiate surveying, geotechnical investigation, engineering, design and permit development so that when additional funds become available this project will be able to proceed to construction in a more-timely manner.

TV-35: Vermilion Bay Shoreline Restoration
The project is located along the Vermilion Bay Shoreline south of Tigre Lagoon; it will establish approx. 8,300 linear feet of shoreline using the wave dampening structure determined to be most feasible. These structures will also allow for sediment trapping and accretion.

PC-208: Construction of 19,300 linear feet of armored protection parallel to the existing eastern shoreline of Vermilion Bay from Mud Point to Blue Point.

*the test barriers that were installed at Mud point are likely a prerequisite of this project.

TV-19: Weeks Bay Marsh Creation and Shore Protection/Commercial Canal Freshwater Redirection
Old 06-06-2014, 09:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

I wonder how much of those shoreline restoration projects is being driven by the loss of Marsh Island. That place is in bad shape. These shoreline projects may be extremely important to inland areas by 2050 if Marsh Island continues eroding away.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Boy I like the idea of diverting fresh water to Terrebonne. We know it works at the wax and atchafalaya deltas. But it would also make VB more fishable. Win Win in my book.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Redfish

Cash: 778

Hopefully these will be put in motion and completed. I have watched too much of MI wash away over the years and especially over the last 5.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

correct Red. I was looking for timelines on the the TV-54 project, which would reduce the flow of fresh water and stumbled upon the TE-110 project. This one would also reduce the fresh water. It would be nice to have specs closer than 10 miles offshore year round.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

You can find most of the fact sheets on CWPPRA and some state projects here.
http://lacoast.gov/new/Projects/List.aspx
Old 06-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Trophy Trout

Oh and keep in mind. These projects won't be running year round. Models are being ran to determine running different projects at different times to find the greatest benefit.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

When the State allowed shell dredging from Pt. au Fer to the west end of Marsh Island they sealed the fate of the whole area to erosion of the marsh along with unabated storm surges. Now it looks like we're gonna have to foot the bill to restore those shell reefs with rock piles!
Old 06-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -514

More info for tv 19 sounds like a big one that will drive a good bit of fish up river too. Might increese salt invasion problem for crawfish.

Just speculating .
Old 06-08-2014, 07:04 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
More info for tv 19 sounds like a big one that will drive a good bit of fish up river too. Might increese salt invasion problem for crawfish.

Just speculating .
Doubt it. Even with some of these redirection projects, I seriously doubt they could redirect so much water that saltwater intrusion becomes an issue. I'm sure they are going to look at those issues though.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:13 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Guys We had 2 MAJOR Hurricanes that sent days and days of really High Wave up against the back of that island...

Love to see 15' high MLW Large boulder rock jetties along the whole coastline.. From Athafaylaya river west to Tex line. Just like holly beach.. Say 500 yards from shoreline...

Can U imagine the trout fishing around there.....
Old 06-08-2014, 09:02 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
Guys We had 2 MAJOR Hurricanes that sent days and days of really High Wave up against the back of that island...

Love to see 15' high MLW Large boulder rock jetties along the whole coastline.. From Athafaylaya river west to Tex line. Just like holly beach.. Say 500 yards from shoreline...

Can U imagine the trout fishing around there.....
As far as I've heard, won't happen. NMFS says it would destroy fish habitat. At least that has been there stance the last few years.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Trophy Trout

It costs 20 million to design and construct 3 miles of rock. And thats only a in a few feet of water. When you talking 500 yards that increases the cost substantiatly with an increase in depth.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Flounder

Cash: 629

500yards south math island is only 10' lol that's why we gotta run 50mi to arch snapper we flat flat
Old 06-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Trophy Trout

Your right, but when the water is 10', you want your rock wall to be 15' high and 5 foot for settling. Your talking about a wall that is 30 foot high and 60 foot at the base. You would have to take down a few mountains to make it.