SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion > Hunting Reports

Hunting Reports Read and share your hunting reports here!

Old 01-18-2016, 05:27 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070
Thumbs down Duck Season 2015 Boy, am I glad that is OVER.

Worse year in my memory. Early opening, warm mornings, and low birds. Hunted my tail off and have little to show for it. Even some honey holes with near guaranteed limits sputtered. Had a few good hunts but far outnumbered by poor ones. I did enjoy some good blind time with my buddies, but the killing was below average. Hope for a better one next year.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:01 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022

Well, I do believe that weather was a factor in this year's season as well. We never really had an arctic blast for a long period of time. These lil ol pacific fronts came through, caused a weather change for a day, MAYBE, and then, stale days took over. I do believe we shot a lot of stale birds this season. They've seen the whole makeup of our territory over and over, with no new friends to investigate with... But, overall, it seemed to be very dismal for more folks overall. Let's hope the powers at be have heard our voices and maybe, just maybe, agree with us for once....
Old 01-18-2016, 08:28 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdriver View Post
Well, I do believe that weather was a factor in this year's season as well. We never really had an arctic blast for a long period of time. These lil ol pacific fronts came through, caused a weather change for a day, MAYBE, and then, stale days took over. I do believe we shot a lot of stale birds this season. They've seen the whole makeup of our territory over and over, with no new friends to investigate with... But, overall, it seemed to be very dismal for more folks overall. Let's hope the powers at be have heard our voices and maybe, just maybe, agree with us for once....
While I mostly agree with you, the "powers at be" had 0 impact on the high water most of us fought all year.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:30 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

From what I've heard this year from guys around me, I was fortunate to have a pretty decent year but was far from last years totals. The high water from all the crazy south winds and weak cold fronts didn't help our cause. I don't think the early opening had as much to do with bad seasons as everyone is claiming. With that being said I think we should think about going to a season like Arkansas with three splits instead of two and do away with the zones and open up the whole state at the same time. This seems to work good for other states I think it would be worth thinking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2016, 08:55 PM
Red Snapper

This year was extremely frustrating at times; but I learned more this year than many years past combined, and if he have another high water year I will be prepared.

Hunting those stale birds defiantly tested my patience; we pick up decoys after every hunt but I'm pretty sure I re-arranged decoys every single hunt because the birds were not cooperating with original spread.

Looking forward to next year, seeing some mud flats, and big ol flocks of Teal.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:57 AM
Redfish

Cash: 2,950

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
This year was extremely frustrating at times; but I learned more this year than many years past combined, and if he have another high water year I will be prepared.

Hunting those stale birds defiantly tested my patience; we pick up decoys after every hunt but I'm pretty sure I re-arranged decoys every single hunt because the birds were not cooperating with original spread.

Looking forward to next year, seeing some mud flats, and big ol flocks of Teal.
I definitely agree with picking up the decoys hunt. Keeps things fresh.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:45 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Worst year ever for me on ducks also. Thank goodness for specks. I just hope this isn't a growing trend of birds failing to migrate here. Just a short drive from here there are huge bodies of ducks and geese. And it's not far enough north of here for weather to have any effect on them leaving.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

We also had our worst season ever. I don't think the early opener had anything to do with it. We had way too much water and no arctic fronts. We have several blinds that we couldn't hunt at all due to high water. And I agree with Quackhead, I would like to have 2 splits instead of 1 and open the entire state at the same time.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:02 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 678
Default Duck Season 2015 Boy, am I glad that is OVER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
We also had our worst season ever. I don't think the early opener had anything to do with it. We had way too much water and no arctic fronts. We have several blinds that we couldn't hunt at all due to high water.

Nail on the head

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2016, 04:55 PM
Tripletail

Yea Dogface I just don't see the benefits of having zones. It seems to work fine for Arkansas and they are still hunting and not siting at home the last two weeks of January. I really think having a extra split would do a lot of good for the ducks that get stale over the long season IMO.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:33 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

i also agree with the extra split, it would help give the birds a little break towards the end.

again, i also agree about the zones. i dont know about opening the state all at once simply because i have no clue how the east side does. but as far as the west and coastal zone.............. c'mon man!!!!!

yes this year has been one for the books. and weather is definitely to blame for the lack of results the majority of us have seen this year. BUT, i also think that habitat is playing a bigger role than people may perceive.

look at the dozen or so specks they gps'd earlier this year. only 1-2 of those birds are still in the state! if they flew all the way down here in the heat with no weather, then what all of a sudden made them leave the state? was it habitat? pressure?

there are too many variables.. the only thing we can hope for is better weather for next year.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:00 AM
Red Snapper

Anyone know why the Widgeon didn't show up but the Canvasbacks did?
Old 01-20-2016, 10:38 AM
Tripletail

Default Duck Season 2015 Boy, am I glad that is OVER.

Quote:
Anyone know why the Widgeon didn't show up but the Canvasbacks did?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Widgeon's migration pattern has changed how true that is I don't know and I can't remember where in saw that article. Also I wonder what Mr. Larry Reynolds take would be on having three splits and opening the entire stat at the same time. I think it would be a hard sale to get the entire state on the band wagon for that to happen. But I think it's something that should be debated.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:37 AM
Red Snapper

I didn't realize the Arkansas duck season was only 26 days; sucks to be them.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:04 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
I didn't realize the Arkansas duck season was only 26 days; sucks to be them.
They have 60 days just like us.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:10 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
They have 60 days just like us.

That's correct they do have 60 day seasons. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453316965.185316.jpg

Old 01-21-2016, 05:00 PM
Flounder

Cash: 863

Must have been on X this year, it was good for us
Old 01-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,700

I agree hunterr77 I hunted over a dozen different blinds in multiple areas, great year