SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505
Default Moss Bluff Internet

I need some help with da choice of Internet in Moss Bluff on You Winn Rd. We had Communicomm until December and they SUCKED. Could never keep the service from going out. We would like to go with Cameron Communications but we can't get them until the end of the month. We need the Internet now because of my wives job. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 988

i pretty sure those are your only choices....... you may be able to get it through at&t where your at ..... can't get it at my house
Old 07-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdomingue View Post
i pretty sure those are your only choices....... you may be able to get it through at&t where your at ..... can't get it at my house
My neighbor has at&t but they keep saying we need a phone line. We don't have a home phone and don't really won't a home phone.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I can tell you how to get by till end of month but you have to give up that toy you call a phone or you can get a satellite, one more option is go get 200ft of phone cord and hook up to neighbour till end of month
Old 07-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,489

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
My neighbor has at&t but they keep saying we need a phone line. We don't have a home phone and don't really won't a home phone.
Get your neighbor a wireless router as a gift and ask them it they will share it with you until you can get Cameron Communications at the end of the month.

Send Blue Wave 2200 a PM, he might be able to help you out. He works for Cameron Communications.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,165

You can get dsl through AT&T without a home phone. That's what we have. I'm waiting for Cameron Communication to get service to my house too.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 685

damn , suck part about living out in stix, .....if you have a phone line, many companies offer DSL, although not as fast, gets the job done. Also, if that can't/won't work for you, if you can catch DirectTv(not really sure about the specifics)/already have DTV, they offer sat. internet. we have DTV and they offer it all the time, but we already have a decent speed DSL through the phone line.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Tripletail

The only speed dsl offered at my address is the next to slowest speed. I'm thankful I don't have dial-up anymore, but downloading stuff is a real hassle. My dad has satellite internet and it's easily twice the price and it's not that much faster than what I have. Cable is the only option for really fast internet unless you have Verizon 4G with a tethering plan and naturally Verizon doesn't offer 4G in Lake Charles.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Tripletail

How's 3g speed? if home internet is that bad I would tether solely or get a mifi from sprint or Verizon
Old 07-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Tripletail

I've tethered with my droid before when dsl was out and it's pretty slow. Definitely not something I would use all the time. I don't know if the mifis or air cards are faster. I read somewhere that verizon customers with 4g phones and a tethering plan will be grandfathered into unlimited data and be able to get unlimited 4g tethering for another 30 bucks a month. I'll post the link later when I get to work.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Tripletail

yea, im familiar with it, i have the evo4g, the phone that started 4g tethering
Old 07-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Tripletail

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...tethering.html

If this is accurate if someone gets a 4G phone from Verizon with a tethering package before they get rid on unlimited data on the 7th, they will be able to have unlimited data and unlimited tethering over 4G for $60 a month. For us the main downfall is the lack of 4G around here.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
I need some help with da choice of Internet in Moss Bluff on You Winn Rd. We had Communicomm until December and they SUCKED. Could never keep the service from going out. We would like to go with Cameron Communications but we can't get them until the end of the month. We need the Internet now because of my wives job. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I am thinking Cameron Communications fiber optics system will not be ready this month......maybe by the end of August.

They came in my area [just a mile east of you] Saturday and did a little work on the "green box" and then left.....with the cover laying in the yard.

They still have not come back and pulled the "fiber optic" line through the orange conduit they install a month ago and I don't know if they have started doing that anywhere in Moss Bluff.

The man that was incharge of installing the conduit.....told me this was a "30 mile" contract and that another "40 mile" contract has just been issued for the Moss Bluff area. He also told me that our area should be ready for "home" hook-up by mid to late July. I don't see that happening that fast.

Today.....we got a letter from Communicomm saying that they were adding 7 new channels to our service and adding more option packages. The letter included a listing of all packages they offer. It looks like we [our house] will also loose 1 or 2 stations that we currently get] The letter did not say anything about that.

I think they are trying to keep customers.....knowing that they are about to loose a bunch of current customers.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I think they are trying to keep customers.....knowing that they are about to loose a bunch of current customers.
Why are they going to loose a bunch of current customers? They are the best game in town!

I just wish they would make their internet packages 6/10/20, 3/6/10 is a little slow by todays standards in my opinion. And do something about the upload speeds. I would love to have a 20/20 connection.

YES I AM A BANDWIDTH HOG!

Sent from my EVO

I now see that Gerald was talking about Communicom. My reference to internet speed is for Cameron Communications.

Last edited by PaulMyers; 07-05-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
Why are they going to loose a bunch of current customers? They are the best game in town!

I just wish they would make their internet packages 6/10/20, 3/6/10 is a little slow by todays standards in my opinion. And do something about the upload speeds. I would love to have a 20/20 connection.

YES I AM A BANDWIDTH HOG!

Sent from my EVO
I find there speed is slow......service is so..so. [out for several days at a time] There tech service line is now only available on a more limited schedule.... not 24/7 like it use to be.

They announced 10 or 12 months ago that they were going to a faster system.....but never did, that I know of.

And we like watching LSU sports. Games are always being shown on CTS channel......which Communicom does not offer.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Gerald, I misread that part of your post. I thought you were saying that Cameron Communications was about to loose customers. I see now that you were talking about Communicom. My Bad!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Flounder

Cash: 566

In Gerald's post above his is making reference to Communicomm, not Cameron Communications.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Flounder

Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave 2200 View Post
In Gerald's post above his is making reference to Communicomm, not Cameron Communications.
Yep, I got that now. I've been awake to long today. I can't say enough good things about Cameron Communications. I do still want more speed though. Hurry up 6/10/20 packages.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Flounder

I'll check on the You Winn Rd area and get a better idea of when they will be finished. The contractors are working as fast as they can and are taking advantage of all the dry days we have had to stay ahead of schedule. The best thing to do is call the Moss Bluff Office and get your name on the list. That way, when we do light up the fiber in your area, you are already in line for the installation crew to come out and hook you up.