SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:01 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowMouth7 View Post
put the A.S.S in for you
Stay classy man good job
Old 04-10-2014, 02:10 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -514

Will web page be up soon?
Old 04-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Flounder

Cash: 725

I haven't read all the back and forth on this thread so forgive me if I missed something. Here's my take. Duce makes good stuff, at least I like it. Seems a lot of people like there stuff also. Product quality can be debated but the lack of customer service can't. That's where they fell down. Period. Sure they took care of some folks when they happened to be there to answer a phone call. But most people's phone calls simply went unanswered. I talked at length with one of their major retail outlet owners. The thought was that the they were too busy out fishing and buying big toys to effectively run a business. Now I can't hate on anyone for fishing too much! But before I buy more of their products I'd like to see a bigger commitment to the brand. If the owners want to fish all day then they should have folks managing operations to allow them to do so.
I really like the rods I own from them. But, I will not spend that kind of money on a rod again without knowing for sure the company behind it will stand behind their product. The competition at that price point is fierce and there are lots of good choices. I'd like to support local but will not do so at the risk of my pocketbook in the future.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzon30s View Post
I haven't read all the back and forth on this thread so forgive me if I missed something. Here's my take. Duce makes good stuff, at least I like it. Seems a lot of people like there stuff also. Product quality can be debated but the lack of customer service can't. That's where they fell down. Period. Sure they took care of some folks when they happened to be there to answer a phone call. But most people's phone calls simply went unanswered. I talked at length with one of their major retail outlet owners. The thought was that the they were too busy out fishing and buying big toys to effectively run a business. Now I can't hate on anyone for fishing too much! But before I buy more of their products I'd like to see a bigger commitment to the brand. If the owners want to fish all day then they should have folks managing operations to allow them to do so.
I really like the rods I own from them. But, I will not spend that kind of money on a rod again without knowing for sure the company behind it will stand behind their product. The competition at that price point is fierce and there are lots of good choices. I'd like to support local but will not do so at the risk of my pocketbook in the future.
I live close to them. I might buy if I can get true answers. U like um. I don't own yet. But what u say puts um down. Do I trust u? Looks like people have a problem with slow growth. Are you all so used to big store high dollar ideas that a guy can't go fishing. Or have a issue. Man let's screw wallmarrt not the local guy. Give a shadow of a dought not a condemnation.

I still need a PM to know we're to get one.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:15 PM
Red Snapper

Guys is Duce rods really so bad that y'all have to berate the componay a local Louisiana home grown so bad that it limits them in the public view?

I for one do not listen to ho hum BSFrom boards and will buy a pole soon as I get a PM to we're to buy. But if I were from oh let's say another state looking at this as it comes up on a search on any engine I might be or I would be turned off.
It suckers to see a world wide pissing contest about a co. We all will be held by shot down like this.

I am in no way saying you have no right but if you got a problem with them take it up with them don't end there business becouse you broke a pole. Ya I broke a lot of poles but I did not go after the co. That made them.

We're is your pride in local grown stuff. I guess I'm pissed as I was about pottery. Nothing good there either. Just old guys with the wrong idea.

Support local don't put it down no matter the problem as it can be worked out if you want it to .

But if you dont then I guess it's more a communist idea.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:16 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
Guys is Duce rods really so bad that y'all have to berate the componay a local Louisiana home grown so bad that it limits them in the public view?

I for one do not listen to ho hum BSFrom boards and will buy a pole soon as I get a PM to we're to buy. But if I were from oh let's say another state looking at this as it comes up on a search on any engine I might be or I would be turned off.
It suckers to see a world wide pissing contest about a co. We all will be held by shot down like this.

I am in no way saying you have no right but if you got a problem with them take it up with them don't end there business becouse you broke a pole. Ya I broke a lot of poles but I did not go after the co. That made them.

We're is your pride in local grown stuff. I guess I'm pissed as I was about pottery. Nothing good there either. Just old guys with the wrong idea.

Support local don't put it down no matter the problem as it can be worked out if you want it to .

But if you dont then I guess it's more a communist idea.
the rods were great, worked great, felt great. also not made in china, but local. they were a small company that just bit off more than they could chew with their success. it happens... hopefully they will have good backing this time.... but regardless i will get a few ASAP, since the rod is great anyway. youll always find the guy who wants to walk around with saltlife stickers bragging about his $500 rod and his $70k boat that cant catch fish and has nothing but bad to say because its not enough to brag for.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:08 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
the rods were great, worked great, felt great. also not made in china, but local. they were a small company that just bit off more than they could chew with their success. it happens... hopefully they will have good backing this time.... but regardless i will get a few ASAP, since the rod is great anyway. youll always find the guy who wants to walk around with saltlife stickers bragging about his $500 rod and his $70k boat that cant catch fish and has nothing but bad to say because its not enough to brag for.
I didnt think the old duce rods were made locally?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Red Snapper

Made in houston and sold locally by Louisiana folk if you read back on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Red Snapper

thats what i was told anyway
Old 04-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Tripletail

The new models are made in houston if u read back in this thread.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

Is it possible to assemble a fishing rod where none of the components are foreign? I know at least some of the batson blanks are made in China.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducktrickster View Post
Is it possible to assemble a fishing rod where none of the components are foreign? I know at least some of the batson blanks are made in China.
agreed
Old 04-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Kistler KLX
Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Kistler KLX
nice, i wonder if they have any local shops that sell them....
Old 04-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Tripletail

They are sold directly thru kistler to keep price down. Best rod out there by a long shot in the $150-$200 price range.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:02 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Owning two American made trucks (a Ford and a Chevy) cured me of patriotic notions related to buying American. Getting half the service life for the same money is a bad deal. We've owned five Honda's now (three still in service), and I firmly believe that capitalism better serves US interests than buying American when American quality is sub-standard.

As far as rods go, I'm a dedicated Ugly Stik customer. We own at least a dozen and my first Ugly Stik (a birthday present in 2004 or 2005) is still in service. We like them because they last a long time and are hard to break even when seeing heavy use and hard service. Our main techniques are trolling and bait fishing, so weight and sensitivity are not as important to me as durability.

I've moved away from Shakespeare reels (to Shimano) due to durability issues. I've also moved from American made braids to Power Pro for quality reasons. Without doubt, Seaguar (Japanese) makes the highest quality fluorocarbon leader materials. But there is little need for fluorocarbon leaders in most LA waters due to the lack of clarity, so we've switched back to regular mono due to price concerns. We retie leaders frequently to maintain knot strength, so we use a lot of material.

Without doubt, the US still makes the best bullets, but my daughter recently switched to Lapua bullets due to lack of availability of US bullets. A few years back, we switched to Lapua brass because it is so far superior to US brass. No one in the family wants to buy a gun in a cartridge for which Lapua doesn't offer brass. Rem, Win, and Fed brass have all gone down hill quickly since 2000.

Buying American is not patriotic when it rewards poor quality. The free market is at its best when high quality is rewarded and poor quality is run out of business (or forced to improve).
Old 04-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Owning two American made trucks (a Ford and a Chevy) cured me of patriotic notions related to buying American. Getting half the service life for the same money is a bad deal. We've owned five Honda's now (three still in service), and I firmly believe that capitalism better serves US interests than buying American when American quality is sub-standard.

As far as rods go, I'm a dedicated Ugly Stik customer. We own at least a dozen and my first Ugly Stik (a birthday present in 2004 or 2005) is still in service. We like them because they last a long time and are hard to break even when seeing heavy use and hard service. Our main techniques are trolling and bait fishing, so weight and sensitivity are not as important to me as durability.

I've moved away from Shakespeare reels (to Shimano) due to durability issues. I've also moved from American made braids to Power Pro for quality reasons. Without doubt, Seaguar (Japanese) makes the highest quality fluorocarbon leader materials. But there is little need for fluorocarbon leaders in most LA waters due to the lack of clarity, so we've switched back to regular mono due to price concerns. We retie leaders frequently to maintain knot strength, so we use a lot of material.

Without doubt, the US still makes the best bullets, but my daughter recently switched to Lapua bullets due to lack of availability of US bullets. A few years back, we switched to Lapua brass because it is so far superior to US brass. No one in the family wants to buy a gun in a cartridge for which Lapua doesn't offer brass. Rem, Win, and Fed brass have all gone down hill quickly since 2000.

Buying American is not patriotic when it rewards poor quality. The free market is at its best when high quality is rewarded and poor quality is run out of business (or forced to improve).
yea i drive a nissan and would only buy a ford if i went domestic. (bailout)... but on a small scale like rods and such, i prefer to go to the small guy and local if possible.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post

Well said but I need to add that I read about Duce rods. I understand they have a new factory location that was in broussard la. .
I too use quite a few forien made items. But when I can buy US things that are well made or put together here I do.
Subaru TriBeCa ,made in il.
Crawfish from local production.
I'm 45 and have had a Mazda ,ford,Subaru ,gmc,chevy ,vw,and all had there issues.
The best tea I drink comes from china, about 15 grand worth now.
Some of the best old world tech. For several items I use are forien.
My coffee 3 grand so fare I get from Kenya .
But all said I believe in home grown business the small kind. If they all get killed off then the quality of things we all need and use will be out of our hands. And to believe that I can help an on tree pur newer by getting a item wether good or as this thread suggests crap. I will buy it and asses its worth my self. And to me if I place whatever , need, nostalgia , patrotic ,support ,or what ever angel I look at it. That me. But I just can't stand watching as a co.'s credibility ,reputation,and product are trashed. Doing that is not the right way to go about it.
I guess the big question here is does anyone really want to see Duce rods go away.
I for one don't and hope that any small co.in south Louisiana struggling to survive does we need them
It just seems from this thread that some thik we could with out them.
I still say it would be nice to get a custom rod and them that got a rod and broke it then might it not be a good idea to put out and get a bigger stronger rod.and have the option to have it made stronger as u get what u pay for...right.
I have bean known to use a wrench as a hammer.and I equate this to a light action pole to land a 35ld red. I have also broken hevey rods with braid on snags. It's all up to the user. And it was not Duce that broke the rods.its the individule useing it.and then they come here like they think it's Duce fault.
Says a lot about how people think.and I just don't understand.sorry but I remember every rod I broke. It's a shocking thing but I also rember what I did to brake it . It was my dissing to take that action and put my rod in a situation that I knew would result in its death. If you bought a duc rod and you broke it it's not Duce fault. Get over it.
Now if the rod you bought just fell apart and it was becouse it had a defect.i understand refund but it's more than likely not Duce fauld it fell apart. Not that I am saying no one to blame but yes the people that built it not the co.s fault the workers. So yes a refund from them or replacement. But don't take down the co keep it alive .

Dang sorry guys I'm not all hear right now I hope I got across my thoughts but right now it's hard to think. Got a broke tooth and my orajell is running low.

I'm just pissed that what for all said Duce is a good co. Custom rods and all. It seems that that point is not comming threw. Only issues with people that work there.

Dang I got more to say but it looks like I better stop I just can't seem to get out whati want to say.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

Duce Rods
143 Industrial Pkwy, Lafayette, LA 70508
(337) 889-3351

Call them or swing by the office. I'm sure they can give you the most accurate information.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Duce Rods
143 Industrial Pkwy, Lafayette, LA 70508
(337) 889-3351

Call them or swing by the office. I'm sure they can give you the most accurate information.
hahaha perfect