SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-16-2014, 08:08 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
A Facebook photo is all the science we need.
facebook is flawless science.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:14 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

"I wasn't gonna post but......."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (99.7 KB, 235 views)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 AM
Red Snapper

if he makes it before the thread gets deleted
Old 04-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
"I wasn't gonna post but......."

nope, nope, nope, you guys are too far into it, can't bring you back, minds already made up

I commend Raymond and biggun for not wading through the b.s. anymore also. Nothing good can come out of it, best just to walk away

draconian sanctions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin pimp:
Old 04-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
ahhhhhh hes a money child. gotcha... this is exactly why we dont need people like him.
Youre right. Money doesn't equal wildlife knowledge. Also, money does not equal wildlife knowledge. You can be wealthy and knowledgable and vice versa. I'm still trying to figure out why some are attacking Will. you may not agree with him but his opinion didn't seem worthy of the bashing he's getting. Just my opinion. Someone said earlier, "haters gonna hate.". That couldn't be more true. Some people are going to be disliked just because they have, or come from, money. It's just like everyone that complains about doctors, lawyers, etc. driving up the prices of duck leases. Maybe it's fuel, equipment, insurance, etc. driving the cost up? Should the land owner accept less money when he could get more? Partway (sorry for the rabbit trail), people are real quick to blame people JUST because they have money. Maybe Will should piss all of his money away, and then he can speak more intelligently on the subject
Old 04-16-2014, 08:39 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Youre right. Money doesn't equal wildlife knowledge. Also, money does not equal wildlife knowledge. You can be wealthy and knowledgable and vice versa. I'm still trying to figure out why some are attacking Will. you may not agree with him but his opinion didn't seem worthy of the bashing he's getting. Just my opinion. Someone said earlier, "haters gonna hate.". That couldn't be more true. Some people are going to be disliked just because they have, or come from, money. It's just like everyone that complains about doctors, lawyers, etc. driving up the prices of duck leases. Maybe it's fuel, equipment, insurance, etc. driving the cost up? Should the land owner accept less money when he could get more? Partway (sorry for the rabbit trail), people are real quick to blame people JUST because they have money. Maybe Will should piss all of his money away, and then he can speak more intelligently on the subject
i dont think you have a clue what is going on... im attacking the fact that he should have ABSOLUTELY no say in anything and it should be left up to real studies and research. but instead its made into politics and money by people like him. nothing against HIM... just what kind of person he is and associated with.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,318

Casey posted this in the other CCA thread.

I am posting as a reminder.

Failure to follow this will result in infractions/bans.

Debate it all you want, that is good, but the individual attacks need to stop.

Cajunmade will be changing his screen name today. I did not realize that is also the name of a business in south Louisiana that has nothing to do with his comments. Personally I am a CCA member and the site generally sponsors CCA activities and has for several years. I do not think the organization is perfect, no organization is beyond criticism. At the end of the day, I support the organization

That being said this is an open public forum and I do think a healthy debate is fine and I do not want to shut the thread down but the thread needs to not attack individuals or businesses. State your opinions and any facts that you have please.

The thread is open but people will be banned for slander/liable worthy comments and or personal attacks against each other.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Red Snapper

ok i sowwy
Old 04-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
I have nothing against WD personally, for all I know he is a great guy. What I am against is anybody pushing for regulations without adequate science to back up their position. The record speaks for itself, there are certain people in positions of power making decisions that affect the state as a whole. However they are not taking the majority opinion of the state on these issues. I mean even the "survey" that HRGC did was comprised of 67% Texans. Why should a survey of Texans be relevant in a Louisiana fishing issue? I was told a long time ago by a man who is pretty knowledgeable about fishery science that CCA was nothing but a bunch of money grabbing politicians. I chose to ignore that advice because I believe in the good in people. I have been a member of CCA for the last 10 or so years, and it has become clear in the last couple of years I should have taken the advice and saved all that money. They will not see another cent from me or my family.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I agree no one should attack Will personally, he is a great guy, great fisherman, I'm sure great family man..

His public views should be debated because it is public info he stated on issues I know most disagree on. He has holds now a WLF commission positions and people will criticize him on it.
He made public statements about the trout limits and 3tail so that can be debated. To attack him personal should not be.

I'm sure he has gotten a ear full about the 3tail issue as the trout limit with no sound science to back it up

He holds a public office so he is open to public debate
Old 04-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 4,409

Quote:
ok i sowwy
Hahahahaha....

This dude can always lighten it up with a little humor.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I agree no one should attack Will personally, he is a great guy, great fisherman, I'm sure great family man..

His public views should be debated because it is public info he stated on issues I know most disagree on. He has holds now a WLF commission positions and people will criticize him on it.
He made public statements about the trout limits and 3tail so that can be debated. To attack him personal should not be.

I'm sure he has gotten a ear full about the 3tail issue as the trout limit with no sound science to back it up

He holds a public office so he is open to public debate
^^^ this right here.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,382

So realistically is there any chance in the limits being returned to what they once were? Seems like lsu or someone could do a study do provide some hard data to show that we are losing reefs and land rapidly. I know land loss maps show this clearly but do you really think they will do something to change it?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Once the government taketh away. They do not giveth back
Old 04-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

"What I am against is anybody pushing for regulations without adequate science to back up their position."
Meaux fishing

Guides do it all the time. You don't have to be a "scientist" to have valid position on a subject. In fact, I think common sense (which isn't so common) trumps scientific studies sometimes. What works on paper doesn't always work in the real world. Do y'all really think the decrease in the limit in an open estuary system like Calcasieu is effecting the fishing that much? Sabine has had a lower possession and larger size limit for a long time and everyone is running over there to fish now. Could have more to do with weirs, erosion, etc. than the limit but I'm not poor or a scientist so what do I know.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Red Snapper

i look at the stars all the time, moon also... yet i dont wanna tell people what needs to be done on the international space station because i stayed at a holiday in express.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:08 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
"What I am against is anybody pushing for regulations without adequate science to back up their position."
Meaux fishing

Guides do it all the time. You don't have to be a "scientist" to have valid position on a subject. In fact, I think common sense (which isn't so common) trumps scientific studies sometimes. What works on paper doesn't always work in the real world. Do y'all really think the decrease in the limit in an open estuary system like Calcasieu is effecting the fishing that much? Sabine has had a lower possession and larger size limit for a long time and everyone is running over there to fish now. Could have more to do with weirs, erosion, etc. than the limit but I'm not poor or a scientist so what do I know.
Sabine has not had their oyster reefs destroyed.

Usually factors work together to negatively impact a situation. In Calcasieu, the biggest factors negatively impacting specks are (in no particular order):

1. Oyster reef destruction
2. Speck limit of 15 (lowered from 25) leading to overpopulation of specks relative to their food supply and slower growth rates
3. Management of weirs preventing flow of forage from marsh to lake
4. Erosion degrading habitat for peak forage production
5. Overpopulation of black drum (destroying oysters and reefs)
6. Overpopulation of red drum (competing for limited forage)

The biggest error in CCA thinking is that sport fish are the main resource. Habitat is the main resource. Protecting what the fish eat is more important given the current dynamics. CCA is trying to produce more beef by shoving 400 cattle into a 100 acre pasture. All they are doing is destroying the grass and lowering the overall production.

Just like the cattle would bust down the fences in an overpopulated pasture, the specks have started hanging out in nearby waters where there is better grass (more forage).
Old 04-16-2014, 10:12 AM
Great White

Quote:
Meaux fishing

I know guides do it, look back at the article W posted, that doesnt mean its right. No I dont think it is affecting the fishing, fishing in any estuary system goes in cycles in my opinion. I also agree what works on paper doesnt always apply in application, but when the experts say there is no reason to lower the limit, then why do it? If you fish alot and dont want to keep 25 fish everytime you dont have to, I dont understand why somebody feels like they have to "save a resource" when it isnt in trouble.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Great White

Quote:
i look at the stars all the time, moon also... yet i dont wanna tell people what needs to be done on the international space station because i stayed at a holiday in express.
boom
Old 04-16-2014, 10:18 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Since there are multiple factors in play, multiple steps are needed to improve the fishery in Calcasieu, with a focus on habitat. Here is what I recommend:

1. Raise the limit on specks back to 25. Remove the limit on black drum (including the commercial limit). Double the limit on redfish (10, including two bulls). This will reduce pressure on the oyster reefs and the food supply.
2. End oyster dredging. The oyster reefs provide essential ecosystem services and habitat for much of the food web at lower trophic levels.
3. Line the lower channel with stout rock walls to control erosion and saltwater intrusion. Only have a couple of narrow cuts between lake and channel for boats to pass.
4. Once the salinity in the lake is lower, you can open the weirs for most days each month.
5. Ban tagging of all species for non-scientific purposes.
6. Insist that all future limit changes be based on scientific data assessing the population of all dominant species relative to their food supply.
7. Place a bounty on bull drum to protect the oysters. Perhaps allow an additional limit of specks or reds for each bull black drum in possession.