SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

I'm afraid someone is going to get hurt before this gets straightened out.
Only in Louisiana can you post part of a Lake or a canal that joins to public waters.
Money talks, legislators listen, CCA keeps quiet. Just my 2c.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottogo49 View Post
Only in Louisiana can you post part of a Lake or a canal that joins to public waters.

I hear ya man.

Why is it CCA's responsibility to fight every battle the fisherman wants?

CCA cant fight every battle, I really think there needs to be another orginization to fight the land battle for us.

We have Ducks Unlimited and Delta Waterfowl and I think its great to have 2 orginizations representing the hunter. (Most will argue they have different agendas) So thats why you need more than 1 orginization to represent the interest of all parties.

Peace Love and Chicken Grease....
Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottogo49 View Post
Well said and I agree completly.

I am willing to put some money in this cause but I need to know where I should focus my efforts. I'm sure Palermo has Hackberry on a string so I can't go after him direclty so I intend to focus on the bigger picture which is the rule itself.

Getting the media focused on "pirates in Lousiana waters" may get the local authorities attention.

This really has turned into a wild west type of situation with people on both sides taking the law into their own hands.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,466

The Cameron D.A.'s line on this is that you are fine as long as you stay in your boat. I f you are harassed call the Game Wardens, Sheriff and Cameron D.A. they know whats going on and they are tired of it.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022
Default Here we go.........

First of all, in Cameron Parish, you are NOT required to have POSTED signs across your canals or land. Second, if it was his land, then why are you mad? I understand the whole children situation and close call with the boat, but it is still his land. It's the same as if he were to come to your house without your permission. You're right, he probably was rude and arrogant. Normally, he is. Actually, "his" land comes out into Black Lake several hundred feet. I know that if my boss caught someone in our duck marsh, which is accessible by public waterway, he would run them out with no hesitation. So, calling the sherrif's office or the DA would do no good. They'd just tell you the same thing I just stated, unless there were weapons involved. And chances are it was NOT Palermo or his peeps.

BD
Old 04-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

It's not that he told them to get off. It is the dangerous way he did it.
Trying to scare kids don't sit well with most.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022

Yes, it would infuriate me, also. I was just letting him know abaout the "his" land issue. Snd to ask CCA for help is useless. They have no say so when it comes to private lands. Shouldn't even be a thought.

BD
Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

a guy with the last name of Marcantel owns the private land in Black Lake Marsh. I believe his levee broke during one of the last 2 hurricanes. Another man named Barbe owns land on the north end of the salt ditch on the East side. The cameron parish school board owns land on the south side of the salt ditch on the west side entering into black lake. Not really sure where Palermos land is except that they once owned the old jeff murphy marsh on the north end of the salt ditch on the west side.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 768

I know how them land owners feal, we have some marsh not far from there and people tresspass all the time. We quite kicking people out years ago cause it just got old exept during hunting season. Its not that we dont want them fishing its just come alligator season we have a bunch of hooks hanging all over the marsh and it could get dangerous plus people run all your birds out. Another reason is if im on my land running trails thru the marsh I dont wanta have to worry about someone eles running into me.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,548

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdriver View Post
First of all, in Cameron Parish, you are NOT required to have POSTED signs across your canals or land. Second, if it was his land, then why are you mad? I understand the whole children situation and close call with the boat, but it is still his land. It's the same as if he were to come to your house without your permission. You're right, he probably was rude and arrogant. Normally, he is. Actually, "his" land comes out into Black Lake several hundred feet. I know that if my boss caught someone in our duck marsh, which is accessible by public waterway, he would run them out with no hesitation. So, calling the sherrif's office or the DA would do no good. They'd just tell you the same thing I just stated, unless there were weapons involved. And chances are it was NOT Palermo or his peeps.

BD
I'll be sure to go down to the courthouse and pull the property lines and know where to fish next time...***...how the hell are you to know where his property begins...sorry...but if you don't want them there put up a sign maybe half the people he threatened would not need to be threatened...
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 04-28-2010, 11:01 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,250

i know marcantel.he was a customer of mine.if he are his peeps did that to me are my kids it would be his LAST.i know people bigger than him.it would be my fn lake.take his guns and shove them.well you know.post the gps and i will find out who's land your own
Old 04-28-2010, 11:02 PM
King Mackeral

his name is curt.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdriver View Post

BD
I was introduced to this particular spot two years ago by a well respected local guide, he told me to come back and fish it and he didn't mind me knowing about his spot. For the last two years I have fished that very spot several times having great trips. I had no idea I was on someones land. Running on me like a criminal in front of my family was unacceptable. Clearly you know the guy to take this view. For you to think that someone being in my home is the same as someone drifting in a boat over something I think is my property is a laughable discussion. I also happen to own land in Cameron parish, waterfront land. I don't plan to run out in an airboat and endanger people to protect my redfish in my canal.

You understand the whole children situation but still it was his land? You must not have kids to make a statement like that.

Do I agree with landowners owning the water that is effected by the tide? No I do not and I realize the CCA is sitting on thier hands on this issue that in iteslf is an entirely different discussion. What can't happen at least in the United States of America (which includes Cameron Parish) is citizens policing each other the way these landowners are. A trained police officer would not have endangered my family and acted like this in front of my children. Don't worry about me, I will take my issue up with someone outside of the parish.

I own a business and have 30 employees, if one of my employees stole from me what would I do? The only thing I can do is document the theft and call the police. I can not imprison them or take action against them other than firing my employee. I am not the police. Soon I guess people will be getting pulled over by other normal citizens for speeding right? Why not, they did speed just like I was on his land?

It is only a matter of time before your buddy does this to the wrong guy or wrong family and someone gets hurt. Again, over a redfish. Considering the guy is spending Saturday evenings on a airboat running off fishermen, maybe the solution is just to get him a women. Based upon the looks of this guy it has probably been a while.

Last edited by ckinchen; 04-28-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
I'll be sure to go down to the courthouse and pull the property lines and know where to fish next time...***...how the hell are you to know where his property begins...sorry...but if you don't want them there put up a sign maybe half the people he threatened would not need to be threatened...

Exactly, had I known this was private land although I would still think it was a terrible law I would not have dragged my family across this guys land to go and "tresspass". Unfortuantly boatdriver is right about the actual law, signs do not have to be posted. This is another reason why we need to get the legislation changed.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 635

Boatdriver it sounds like you're on the side of the IDIOT who loves to show how big of balls he has by beating his chest in front of kids. All i have to say is that i have a clue what spot this is and that either the land owner put up signs or this will not be the last incident. There is no way just by sight to know where his land is or not so unless there is signs this will continue and someone is going to get hurt.

Personally i would like to see if that would happen to a couple of guys without kids.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

CKINCHEN, I agree with you that it was handled poorly and dangerously. Did you ask your well respected guide exactly where you were fishing and if it was public or private? He knew where he was and also knew he was Tresspassing. For him to give you permission to fish his spot is aiding an illegal activity. I would be just as pizzed at the Well Respected Guide as the azzhat in the Earboat.
On the same subject, how much land do you own? Keeping tresspassers off of private property is a daily battle for some. I know firsthand the kind of altercations that insue with tresspassers. If you don't have permission by the land owner,,, stay out, if you can't be sure where you are,,, stay out.
I will try to look up the Louisiana Supreme court decision that established the precedent for this issue. Yakem probably knows it chapter and verse so maybe he will chime in soon.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
CKINCHEN, I agree with you that it was handled poorly and dangerously. Did you ask your well respected guide exactly where you were fishing and if it was public or private? He knew where he was and also knew he was Tresspassing. For him to give you permission to fish his spot is aiding an illegal activity. I would be just as pizzed at the Well Respected Guide as the azzhat in the Earboat.
On the same subject, how much land do you own? Keeping tresspassers off of private property is a daily battle for some. I know firsthand the kind of altercations that insue with tresspassers. If you don't have permission by the land owner,,, stay out, if you can't be sure where you are,,, stay out.
I will try to look up the Louisiana Supreme court decision that established the precedent for this issue. Yakem probably knows it chapter and verse so maybe he will chime in soon.
I have a half acre in Cameron, 60 acres in Livingston Parish, 10 and 2 acres in Harris County, Texas.

I have caught people ridding 4 wheelers on my land and doing other things but unless I make it my lifes mission I cannot police all of these tracts of land.

I put a fence up at my two houses and if someone came over the fence we would have an issue. I do not have a fence around the other properites that I own. If someone accidently wondered onto my property to be honest I probably woudln't care but if I did care I would tell them it was private property and ask them nicely not to come back. If they refused I woudl take a picture of them and their vehcile and turn them into the police.

My family at one time owned a very large percentage of the land in Livingson Parish, I watched my grandfatether spend most of his life fighting to keep people off of his land when he should have been enjoying his success.

If I were on these guys land and it sounds like I was, simply ask me to leave or put up a posted sign and I wouldn't have been there in the first place.

He could also have turned me into the police and I would be happy to have my attoreny talk to the Cameron D.A and or pay a fine.

There is no excuse for his actions or mine if I were tresspassing. My wrong does not make his actions a right.

As far as the law itself is concerned. As long as the landowners are the only people that the folks in Baton Rouge are hearing from the law will never change. The average fishermen does not have the money to fight most landowners. What we need is an organization that fights for us. The power is with the people. While one fishermen can't change the law, 1,000,000 fishermen in the state of Louisiana can if their voice is broadcast through one source.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:02 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
What we need is an organization that fights for us.

I think it is a great idea. When is the first meeting and what are you thinking of calling the org.?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:11 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

If I had to Guess it was Curt Marcantel ,he has a history of stupidity when it comes to his unmarked lines. I've heard several horror stories just like this that involved him. As the saying goes money is power. Hopefullly he will get stopped before any serious incidents happen.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:58 PM
King Mackeral

i think he owns lakeland homes.i will never buy a home from him.do we have gps of were you were.money is power but sam colt has a remedy.