SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 652

Just put your seatbelt on like or not. IT IS NOT THAT HARD. If you have the mindset that it should be your decision, well I feel for you.

On another note how do you'll feel about the ban they are trying to put on eating while driving?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellPepperHead View Post
Just put your seatbelt on like or not. IT IS NOT THAT HARD. If you have the mindset that it should be your decision, well I feel for you.

On another note how do you'll feel about the ban they are trying to put on eating while driving?
I don't think there should be a ban on eating while driving or texting while driving or talking on the phone while driving or any other activity they can think up. How about putting a law in place that states it's illegal to drive a vehicle while engaging in anything that may alter your ability to drive safely??? That way everything is covered. When you are behind the wheel you should only be concentrating on driving, not all the other things.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Westerly neighbor

Cash: 3,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHog View Post
Yeah I dont like the fact they tell us we have to wear a seatbelt but shadman did have a good point. I use to never wear mine either but learned the hardway. Turned to miss a cow one night and hit the ditch, should have walked away with nothing if the seatbelt was on instead I crushed my face thru the steeringwheel and dash and had numerous surgerys, so i learned my lesson
For what it's worth, I'm all for personal freedom also, and I hate anyone telling me what I have to do. I completely understand the argument that "W" and others have. Unfortunately ,there are so many people who wouldn't/didn't take the personal responsibility to buckle up for others' sake that a law had to be passed to make them do it or face the consequences. If everyone just took personal responsibility and did what is right for the common good, like wearing your seatbelt to save other motorists' lives, stupid laws like this one wouldn't need to be on the books.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadMan View Post
For what it's worth, I'm all for personal freedom also, and I hate anyone telling me what I have to do. I completely understand the argument that "W" and others have. Unfortunately ,there are so many people who wouldn't/didn't take the personal responsibility to buckle up for others' sake that a law had to be passed to make them do it or face the consequences. If everyone just took personal responsibility and did what is right for the common good, like wearing your seatbelt to save other motorists' lives, stupid laws like this one wouldn't need to be on the books.

Very well said.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellPepperHead View Post
Very well said.

one bad grape spoils the vine, is the perfect statement in this situation.

if people these days had the smallest amount of common sense, many laws we have today would not need to be in place
Old 04-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

W, you broke the law and got a ticket. It happens to all of us. No different than fishing behind the "sign" at THE WEIRS......Seems you only like the laws that suit your needs! I got a speeding ticket during duck season by a trooper doing 67 in a 55 you did not see me on hear about it.......BTW, I was able to get it reduced to court cost!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
W, you broke the law and got a ticket. It happens to all of us. No different than fishing behind the "sign" at THE WEIRS......Seems you only like the laws that suit your needs! I got a speeding ticket during duck season by a trooper doing 67 in a 55 you did not see me on hear about it.......BTW, I was able to get it reduced to court cost!
How fast were you goin'?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Redfish

Cash: 659

Man "W" they eatin you alive buddy. Guess salty cajun is a strong supporter of the seat belt law! guess i would have to agree with a few of the post though. good news is that you don't have to wear your seat belt on the water!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 711

Glad it was you and not me
Old 04-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Put the damn thing on! It's a lot easier than paying the ticket or spending hours on the phone just to prove that you have the stroke to make a $25 ticket go away! Pretty much shows that your salary isn't as great as you claim if you are willing to spend 3 hours on the phone trying to beat this likely $25 ticket. That would put your labor rate at $8.333333333/hr. You must be living large if that's what your salary is! LOL

It takes two seconds to click it and it may save your life! It takes more time to put the ticket in an envelope!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Put the damn thing on! It's a lot easier than paying the ticket or spending hours on the phone just to prove that you have the stroke to make a $25 ticket go away! Pretty much shows that your salary isn't as great as you claim if you are willing to spend 3 hours on the phone trying to beat this likely $25 ticket. That would put your labor rate at $8.333333333/hr. You must be living large if that's what your salary is! LOL

It takes two seconds to click it and it may save your life! It takes more time to put the ticket in an envelope!
Pass the salt, please.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Great White

W, I'll make a couple of phone calls tomorrow and see if I can get the violation lowered to Driving Without a Phonebook.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Boy View Post
I served as a paramedic with B.R.F.D for 4 years and I never saw anyone that survived an accident because they were thrown from the vehicle. That's fuzzy math...
i actually know 2 people that would have died if they would have had their seatbelt on...i still wear mine
Old 04-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Westerly neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk-Rich View Post
i actually know 2 people that would have died if they would have had their seatbelt on.
Any time someone says this, it is purely speculation. Your chance of surviving just about ANY type of accident is increased exponentially by having a seatbelt on. I can think of a couple types of accidents where a seatbelt may be detrimental, but those types of accidents are extremely rare. If your driving style makes it more likely for you to drive off into a lake than to rear-end another vehicle, perhaps you shouldn't wear a seatbelt (or drive, for that matter).
Old 04-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Ling

Cars got crushed...if they wouldn't have been ejected they would have been killed. The reason I know this is because there were other passengers in the car who had their seatbelt on who are dead now
Old 04-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Ling

If you wouldn't have changed the mobile style I would give you " the finger"
Old 04-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Westerly neighbor

Hmmm...the BAN button still works in the mobile style.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadMan View Post
Hmmm...the BAN button still works in the mobile style.
And your reason for hitting that button would be?
Old 04-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,319
Default My .02 cents

Been in the fire service for 35 years. Have seen, hell I don't know, probably 1000 or so wrecks. The vast majority of them that were wearing seat belts were better off with them on. Maybe 10 that MAY have been better off not wearing them.

It is not only you that this affects. How about your family? If the odds are better weaing the belt, would you let them NOT wear it. And the other ones that it affects, the 18 year old firefighter that walks up to the first wreck he ever works and the person is ejected and decapitated? Or the EMT that this is the one that gets him thinking about what if the teenager had been wearing the seat belt. Then the insurance rates go up because the people that don't wear seat belts are injured worse and spend more time in the ER.

Just my thoughts.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Been in the fire service for 35 years. Have seen, hell I don't know, probably 1000 or so wrecks. The vast majority of them that were wearing seat belts were better off with them on. Maybe 10 that MAY have been better off not wearing them.

It is not only you that this affects. How about your family? If the odds are better weaing the belt, would you let them NOT wear it. And the other ones that it affects, the 18 year old firefighter that walks up to the first wreck he ever works and the person is ejected and decapitated? Or the EMT that this is the one that gets him thinking about what if the teenager had been wearing the seat belt. Then the insurance rates go up because the people that don't wear seat belts are injured worse and spend more time in the ER.

Just my thoughts.

Chief, now you are on to something. The gov't tells us we have to do it, but it is the big Insurance companies backing it. Seatbelts increase odds of survival: 1-less payout on life insurance and Less chance of serious injury: 2-reduced medical claims which increases insurance companies bottom line!