SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 10-15-2018, 06:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563
Default Well duh!!!!!

"The removal of oyster dredges on Big Lake could be having a positive effect on the estuary?s oyster population."

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=12532
Old 10-16-2018, 06:44 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
"The removal of oyster dredges on Big Lake could be having a positive effect on the estuary?s oyster population."

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=12532
My cousin is a fish cleaner for one of the guide services and said this has been a terrible year for speckled trout

I think its due to the no dredging policy. The dredges would stir up the food on the bottom and also cloudy the water a little bit. The lake has been so clear lately that the baitfish can see the trout coming a mile away and hide form them. Trout literally starving to death due to this
Old 10-16-2018, 08:42 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

������
Old 10-16-2018, 08:52 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,000

I think its due to the no dredging policy. The dredges would stir up the food on the bottom and also cloudy the water a little bit. The lake has been so clear lately that the baitfish can see the trout coming a mile away and hide form them. Trout literally starving to death due to this.

Trout EAT BY SEEING. They prefer clear water as they are SEA Trout. They spend the majority of their lives out by the sea in clear water. I am not sure what the issue of low # in big lake but its not water clarity. Just saying
Old 10-16-2018, 10:14 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by revspiggles View Post
I think its due to the no dredging policy. The dredges would stir up the food on the bottom and also cloudy the water a little bit. The lake has been so clear lately that the baitfish can see the trout coming a mile away and hide form them. Trout literally starving to death due to this.

Trout EAT BY SEEING. They prefer clear water as they are SEA Trout. They spend the majority of their lives out by the sea in clear water. I am not sure what the issue of low # in big lake but its not water clarity. Just saying
they are SEA trout not SEE trout

I catch specks in muddy water a lot no way they see their prey same reason you use a popping cork they use sound and smell as well as sight (somerimes)
Old 10-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Trophy Trout

The water clarity in vbay has been very clear (too ckear) the last couple months very few trout caught

we get a bunch of rain and it muddies it up a little bit and now trout are being caught all over the bay

coincidence? I dont think so
Old 10-16-2018, 12:57 PM
Redfish

Yeah. It is a coincidence. And here is why in my opinion. One , the fish count is low all over the state. from Buras to Dulac to Big Lake. I went on a guided trip with MArty Lacoste in August and 30 was a good day this summer when normally 75-100 is norm for limiting out a boat. It hasnt been this bad for years. Was it the winter that had a low baby trout turnout that affected the crop of trout this summer? I dont know. But I do know that rain brings fresh water (brings down the salinity), they thrive at the rigs in saltwater with clear water. The water where people are catching these past 2 weeks are clear. "Find clear water" is what folks always say. Muddy water is for redfish etc who fish by smell (think dead or live shrimp under a cork), etc. rather than simply by sight. Regardless, we are a few weeks late for the specks to hit hard in the bay. Its October, the specks are here like crazy for 4-8 weeks and its on. Something happened state wide that caused a low low summer inshore and by reefs. Good luck this fall. Im out in the cape horn bayboat.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:59 PM
Redfish

But who really knows what is going on? End of the day we are all figuring it out. 3 weeks ago I limited out. Friday before last, 1 red. Wind was blowing10-15 and tide was falling but not great.This week tide has been falling hard all week. But yes the trout are finally here...and from what I am hearing--from marsh island to weeks bay now. Finally!
Old 10-16-2018, 09:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Does anyone remember when had a very very hard freeze the froze lots and lots of inland bayous and lakes.. Trout could not get to deep water...Troutt are caught in the shallow water, and they DIE....

Trout are more salinity sensitive than fldr and reds...

So anyway... Everyone has an opinion.... Oh any way the 6-10'' of rain in verm parish last night will have the trout on the move as the freshwater drives the salinity down..
Old 10-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Redfish

Ill be out there Friday. Mr. Gunner. I'll let you know how it goes.