SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Offroad Forum (4x4 & ATV)

Offroad Forum (4x4 & ATV) Discuss anything to do with offroad sports here, including ATVs, mudding in your truck, etc.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Flounder

Cash: 641
Default Mini Truck

Has anyone tried a mini truck for hunting in place of a side by side? I am curious about your experience. Please tell me pros and cons.

Thanks
Robbie aka Big Hutch
Old 05-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455
Default Mini Truck

I had one. Pros are it's comfortable. Some come with heaters and ACs and radios. Awesome for cold or rainy weather. Cons are it's very heavy and not very powerful and was unreliable at times. It will go fast though. Had some ITPs on mine. Was heading to some property one morning. Tires cake up with so much mud that I burnt the clutch because it didn't have enough power to turn em. Sold it and bought a Honda Big Red.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Don't have a mini truck but use a single cab 4x4 toyota. Will never go back to a bike with no heater in the cold and rain.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Swordfish

Default Mini Truck

Yeh before I bought a mini truck, I would buy an old Yota like Montauk said. Or even a little Geo Metro or Suzuki Samurai. Went to South Carolina turkey hunting this year. Guys place we hunted had a little 4x4 Geo Metro. It was pretty sweet. Would go through anything. Said he paid $2500 for it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399216550.355040.jpg
Old 05-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,379
Default Mini Truck

My uncle had one that fit 4, had two seats in front then two sliding doors with a back seat. It also had a little 3.5' bed. They are great for a lease that keeps up the roads. We never got stuck but it did tend to make ruts when the ground got soft. Loved it when it was 20 degrees outside and you had an enclosed cab with heater to ride in to the stand. He's also used it numerous times as a portable blind, just pull up , quick cover with brush, and roll down the windows.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Flounder

Cash: 633

I also use an old single cab toyota 4x4. Even with no lift and fairly worn out mud grips I can still go anywhere I need to go on my lease. Plus it's street legal. And I got it a lot cheaper than a mini truck.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Flounder

Cash: 641

A Toyota isn't an option since I will be using it mainly for duck hunting and the levee roads aren't wide enough for a full sized truck. What is everyone's experience using a mini truck in the mud? Anybody tried a mini truck in place of a side by side in the rice fields?

Thanks
Robbie aka Big Hutch
Old 05-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Swordfish

I definitely wouldn't put it in a rice field. If the roads are in good shape it should be fine. It will leave some good ruts when it's wet though. Mine peformed pretty well in the mud. Just that gumbo mud in the swamp cakes up on the tires that one time and burnt clutch but other than that no complaints.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Swordfish

I definitely wouldn't put it in a rice field. If the roads are in good shape it should be fine. It will leave some good ruts when it's wet though. Mine peformed pretty well in the mud. Just that gumbo mud in the swamp cakes up on the tires that one time and burnt clutch but other than that no complaints.