SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 08-04-2018, 05:52 PM
Flounder

Cash: 455
Default LA Civil Code article 450 waterways

I am by no means a lawyer or anywhere close to an expert in the field;however, am just trying to better educate myself on the marshes and waterways of Louisiana. I know this issue is a very slippery slope and no one really seems to know the answers, at least not in the places I?ve looked for info. LA Civil 450 states that if a water way is natural and was not a man made canal or bayou, then the sediments of the water way bottom is state owned land. However, there seem to be many bayous in La that lead into marshes that have a posted sign in the dead center of them, and the wildlife and fisheries will tell you that it ?somebody? claims to own the water way then it?s private and to stay off even if it?s natural. So I guess the real question does the Civil Code article 450 even really stand for anything at all or is it just a cliche saying to make sportsman?s paradise sound good? Is the marshes of Louisiana even worth fishing at all because 70 percent of them seem to be ?owned??
Old 08-04-2018, 10:23 PM
Flounder

Cash: 728

i believe state owned water bottoms were designated back when LA first became a state. So, whatever waterways were deemed navigable in the early 1800’s are believed to be public today. Questionable surveying practices in the 1800?s and erosion since statehood has had big impact on perceived declinations between private and state waterbottoms. Unless you?re in water down by the gulf, in a big bayou or in a WMA/NWR, there’s a good chance you?re trespassing. Whether or not the ?land? owner enforces their right to private property is unknown, usually until it?s too late. Additional grey area exists when sportsmen are confronted by self proclaimed “lessors” of private land. How can one know for sure if T-boy Trahan is actually a legal rep of the private water you are allegedly encroaching?

The Louisiana office of state lands website has a GIS map feature which shows just how little of Sportman?s paradise the public can freely enjoy. What a time to be alive!

cheers
Old 08-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Flounder

Honestly it?s beginning to be a little bit ridiculous in my opinion of the amount of natural water ways that are restricted from anglers. Louisiana is the only state in this country that you can legally ?restrict? access to natural bayous etc and prohibited the public from enjoying the states natural resources. Makes you question is it even worth the public to donate their money to conservation projects that restore our states marshland if the people who are donating their money ?the public? can?t even enjoy the resource? Many of these things are behind my understanding honestly of why Louisiana is the only state like this I do know it certainly hurts the economy of Louisiana coastal communities. I recent just joined the La Sportsmen coalition guess we will see where the political ride goes lol.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrepont42 View Post
Honestly it?s beginning to be a little bit ridiculous in my opinion of the amount of natural water ways that are restricted from anglers. Louisiana is the only state in this country that you can legally ?restrict? access to natural bayous etc and prohibited the public from enjoying the states natural resources. Makes you question is it even worth the public to donate their money to conservation projects that restore our states marshland if the people who are donating their money ?the public? can?t even enjoy the resource? Many of these things are behind my understanding honestly of why Louisiana is the only state like this I do know it certainly hurts the economy of Louisiana coastal communities. I recent just joined the La Sportsmen coalition guess we will see where the political ride goes lol.
Agreed! I am a member of lasc as well. After the push for the last house bill, things have gotten worse. We were unprepared and that hurt. All we did was wake a sleeping giant. Better known as big money. Louisiana is a bought state. If I was in my early 20's and no roots, I'd be gone. Too much politics and oil money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 10:24 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrunner757 View Post
Agreed! I am a member of lasc as well. After the push for the last house bill, things have gotten worse. We were unprepared and that hurt. All we did was wake a sleeping giant. Better known as big money. Louisiana is a bought state. If I was in my early 20's and no roots, I'd be gone. Too much politics and oil money.

That is a pretty good point and just like you said if you were younger you'd be gone from Louisiana. Besides the few people in the senate that are actually involved in being a sportsmen, majority fail to realize that all this "owned" water ways bs is accomplishing is diminishing the younger generation of inshore anglers.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:26 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228

It's very sad to say the least. And us here on west side don't have it as bad as our friends back east
Old 08-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228

Heard they already gated some canals off in and around black Bayou back towards Sabine refuge
Old 08-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM1971 View Post
Heard they already gated some canals off in and around black Bayou back towards Sabine refuge
I've heard that as well.