SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:04 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 459
Default Lacassine Pool how to

Ok so I grew up fishing Bayou Black near Houma... Now life has me in Lafayette and I have been hearing about the lacassine pool. All I have up here is a kayak, so my question is:
Is lacassine doable in a kayak?
Where is the best place to put in?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2015, 10:19 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

They have a section for motorless boats only. You could start there. Look at the pamphlet online and u can see the sections. Watch for gators
Old 05-22-2015, 07:36 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

I've always thought that motorless section of Lacassine looks awesome but I've never fished it because I always go in a boat.

There are some other ponds that you could fish in a kayak too.
The North Pond from the West Launch is only about 3/4 of a mile. There is a boat run that goes due west from that launch and leads right to the pond.
There is another good pond across from the East Launch that would be less than 1/2 mile... go under the bridge and back north and take the first boat run on the left... you could probably explore back there and do pretty well.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:09 AM
Flounder

Cash: 1,189

I am curious about this as well. I can't find any maps of the refuge online that shows the different units or launch location. If anyone know where it is can yall post a link.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:52 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/pubs/lcsgen.pdf

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/pubs/lcsfsh.pdf

Here you go.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:57 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,577

Please keep your kayaks out of the boat trails. They had a couple kayaking down a boat trail last weekend, and that could have been very bad...Especially this time of year with water low and the grass high.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:09 AM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy.yyz View Post
Please keep your kayaks out of the boat trails. They had a couple kayaking down a boat trail last weekend, and that could have been very bad...Especially this time of year with water low and the grass high.
Yeah I figured that much. Looking at google earth it looked pretty stupid to risk that in a kayak.

Anyone every fished Unit D? Ive never been down there and its hard to tell from the aerials if its possible to get around in
Old 05-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragincajun View Post
Yeah I figured that much. Looking at google earth it looked pretty stupid to risk that in a kayak.

Anyone every fished Unit D? Ive never been down there and its hard to tell from the aerials if its possible to get around in
with a kayak, yes you can... probably great fishing
Old 05-22-2015, 02:03 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy.yyz View Post
I was thinkin the same. I wouldn't wanna get caught paddling a boat run when someone decides to head back to the launch.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:39 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Every Yak fishing the marsh needs to be equipped with one of those orange flags that are on the fiberglass pole .made for bicycles but it helps boats see you over the marsh grass. If you mount it right behind the seat it really doesn't get in your way when casting.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:59 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 507

I've fished unit d a few times in a yak. The bass are there. Just a lot of grass everywhere. You get used to that pretty quick tho.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:00 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Every Yak fishing the marsh needs to be equipped with one of those orange flags that are on the fiberglass pole .made for bicycles but it helps boats see you over the marsh grass. If you mount it right behind the seat it really doesn't get in your way when casting.

wouldnt be a bad idea for all boats to have this
Old 05-26-2015, 08:20 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

I have kayaked Unit D and the main pools in my kayak... you just have to be very careful in the boat lanes around corners. Unit D is awesome but it gets over grown really early in the year bc of no boats in there with motors tearing up the grass and pads...
Old 05-26-2015, 08:35 AM
Flounder

My buddy and I went out yesterday in Unit D and also in the pool south of Unit D. Didn't catch a fish. Bass fishing is not my forte to say the least. I'm thinking Unit D was a little too over grown the pool south of unit D was a little better but still struck out. I used speed craws and senkos. Do you typically go weightless or texas rigged? Do you typically fish the grass or in the lily pads? Saw a couple other guys in kayaks that caught a fish or 2. Spoke with someone at the landing that said it was slow. That made me feel a little better.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:37 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

speed craws and senkos usually do the trick also a fluke... everything weightless there... unless punching the grass on the edges of the boat lanes...