SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default anyone have vibration issues with their 2014 silverado 1500?

well I just joined the long list of suckers who didn't research the new trucks before buying so I now have the seemingly common problem of a drivetrain or tire vibration only at certain speeds and conditions. mine has that slight shimmy from 65-75mph most noticeable at 68-72mph and its mainly when slightly accelerating but tends to come and go at steady speed on smooth roads.

PLEASE NO FORD VS CHEVY STUFF BECAUSE FORDS HAVE THESE ISSUES TOO SO THEY ARE NO BETTER

this thread is created i n the hopes for chevy owners to compare notes and talk about what was done to their trucks and what worked for them or still hasn't fixed the problems.

near as I can tell its a common problem on something like 75-80% of all the new trucks and even if you don't notice it right away many notice it after putting a few hundered miles on their trucks. the average person does get on the freeway to even notice it so a lot of people don't even know they have this problem.

there is a lot of info out there on the web about complaints but no sign its a common cause or solutions since a few things work as a fix for some but not others.

from my limited research over the past few days this my estimate of what the reports on the vibration issues are related to:

20% are fixed by the owner buying new tires of a different brand at their own expense (getting rid of the goodyear or bridgestones they come with)
30% are fixed by dealer rebalancing, realignment, and or replacing one or more tires from being out of round sometimes required as many as 6 trips to the dealer to finally be sorted out and owners still report a slight vibration that they say they can live with
10% are fixed by replacing the aluminum drive shafts (sometimes requires replacing it a second or third time to get a balanced one)
10% have the rear end gears replaced 2 or 3 times before its fixed
10% are fixed by reprograming the electronic power steering computer that sometimes freaks out on a smooth level road because it has no road input trying to make the wheels wobble and rapidly checks free play by wiggling the steering
20% are never fixed even after doing all of the things listed above and chevy has no clue whats wrong

I would like this to be a resource for chevy guys to help us all fix our own trucks since chevy has no clue what the problem is and wont try to solve it beyond throwing a few free tire balancing and random parts replacement repairs your way
Old 08-31-2014, 06:13 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

My 2013 was slightly pulling to the right most notable at 70 mph or above. Brought back to rainbow and mech. made adjustment and test drive and came get me to test drive and took it back to fine tune adjustment so to make sure i was satisfied. Where did you buy from?
Old 08-31-2014, 06:35 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
My 2013 was slightly pulling to the right most notable at 70 mph or above. Brought back to rainbow and mech. made adjustment and test drive and came get me to test drive and took it back to fine tune adjustment so to make sure i was satisfied. Where did you buy from?
at best chevy in metairie, they claim I need 500 miles on it before they are allowed to replace the tire with the flat spot so I need to go drive in circles and burn gas for a day or two lol.

I got scared looking at all the phantom vibration issues they cant fix on the 2014 gmc and chevy trucks

look here, it goes on for 185 pages of it: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topi...ration-issues/
Old 08-31-2014, 06:47 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

No problems with mine. But it came with Mickey Thompson tires on it new. 11000 miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2014, 06:48 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

I dont know how them people still in buiseness . They may be rite about the 500 miles as far as warranty though cause when i brought mine back to rainbow they told me they won't let them warranty alinement till 7500 miles to make sure everything settled in. I have never had a problem there and a few years back my wifes suv had 1 day left on the battery and they towed it in and put a new one no charge. Couldn't believe that. As for tires the guy at goodyear told me the eagles are the cheepo's . I ran wranglers before and they were good tires but my 4x4 came with eagles and i put a/t wranglers with kevlar and was hoping the allignment would stay the same and have had no problem. Usually a bad tire will start vibrating at 45 to 50. If you haven't yet check the tire pressure. They usually run low to make a smoother test drive.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:05 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Shoulda got the forc
Old 08-31-2014, 08:51 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,176

Sorry to hear your having that problem. I purchased 2 2014 Sierras, both with Goodyear but each have different tires. One with 15,000 and the other with 10,000 and I have not experienced that problem. The only issue thus far is a spark plug wire popped off last week. Let us know when you figure it out.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:46 PM
Red Snapper

well I just hope im one of the lucky ones that they can find a fix for it because its scary to read they tell some people they cant fix it and you just have to live with a $30,000 vibrating truck
Old 08-31-2014, 10:35 PM
Swordfish

I was joking BTW. Crazy that you got stuck with this and hope it works itself out.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
I was joking BTW. Crazy that you got stuck with this and hope it works itself out.
thanks and I know you like to clown around a lot, better to goof off on the internet then chase secretary around the desk, that leads to divorce or large expense account expenditures
Old 09-01-2014, 09:08 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
thanks and I know you like to clown around a lot, better to goof off on the internet then chase secretary around the desk, that leads to divorce or large expense account expenditures

Old 09-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Start by getting the tires balanced. Since you only feel it during a certain speed frame it is more than likely a balance issue. Hope you get it straightened out man.
Are you feeling it more in the steering wheel or in your seat?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 623

I bought mine 3 months ago at Ross downing in Hammond ,I had the same issue as you at 70 mph it was extreme vibration,long story short I took it to them and they did a force balance on the tires,I have no idea what force balance is but they told me a lot of the 20" tires are having that problem,that was a month ago and mine is still driving great no vibration at all ,hope this helps
Old 09-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Start by getting the tires balanced. Since you only feel it during a certain speed frame it is more than likely a balance issue. Hope you get it straightened out man.
Are you feeling it more in the steering wheel or in your seat?
hard to say, its like 50/50 so it could be front or back or maybe a little of both. good thing it is very slight so im hoping its a simple tire or rim issue.

you can really scare the hell out of yourself reading those problems with my vehicle websites when all the problems seam to be identical without much answers for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
I bought mine 3 months ago at Ross downing in Hammond ,I had the same issue as you at 70 mph it was extreme vibration,long story short I took it to them and they did a force balance on the tires,I have no idea what force balance is but they told me a lot of the 20" tires are having that problem,that was a month ago and mine is still driving great no vibration at all ,hope this helps
that's good to hear

road force balance (as I understand it) is balancing the tires with the weight of the vehicle pressing down on them, like it sounds, with road force applied to them. its a much more accurate method but im not sure exactly how its done.

I have read some stuff about how the new wheels are molded or cast and not turned from solid metal like they used to be so the center hole is not the true center and cant be used to balance wheels on a traditional wheel balancer.

as I understand it, the reason for road force balancing is that under load the tires may deform throwing the balance off.

now I don't know if road force means its done on or off of the vehicle but I saw talk about "done on the car" balancing machines or special adapters being needed for none centered rims that must be centered using the lug bolts and not the hole

Last edited by keakar; 09-01-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Sailfish

Hopefully it's just a balance and or tire issue. I've run mud grips on my 07 GMC for so long I had almost forgot what it felt like when it wasn't vibrating. lol. Just put on a set of A/T's and was like WOW.....
Old 09-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Red Snapper

the only thing I really don't like about my truck other then sitting too high is that when you put it in park it automatic unlocks all the doors so if you pull over in a bad area and stop it unlocks the doors to allow you to be carjacked

if they want an auto lock feature then automatic lock my truck if I forget to lock it (but no it doesn't do that) but don't decide for me when im not protected from intruders just because I put it in park to check the map or something
Old 09-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
the only thing I really don't like about my truck other then sitting too high is that when you put it in park it automatic unlocks all the doors so if you pull over in a bad area and stop it unlocks the doors to allow you to be carjacked

if they want an auto lock feature then automatic lock my truck if I forget to lock it (but no it doesn't do that) but don't decide for me when im not protected from intruders just because I put it in park to check the map or something
You have the work truck package? Thats what I have. I have never tried to reprogram that feature on my truck. If I have time this week I'll put the scanner in it and see if it can be done. I think that can be changed with a tech 2 scanner. I will try to check though.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
You have the work truck package? Thats what I have. I have never tried to reprogram that feature on my truck. If I have time this week I'll put the scanner in it and see if it can be done. I think that can be changed with a tech 2 scanner. I will try to check though.
yep, I got the work truck 2WT (chrome package) regular cab short bed 1500 with 3.08 gears and the 17" steel wheels and ss hub caps and towing package

man I would love to be able to turn that feature off, my inlaws truck does it too and its a few years old so I would guess if it can be turned off someone should already know how
Old 09-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
yep, I got the work truck 2WT (chrome package) regular cab short bed 1500 with 3.08 gears and the 17" steel wheels and ss hub caps and towing package

man I would love to be able to turn that feature off, my inlaws truck does it too and its a few years old so I would guess if it can be turned off someone should already know how
Have you looked in your owners manual to see if the auto unlock feature can be changed by using your control panel?
Old 09-01-2014, 05:00 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Have you looked in your owners manual to see if the auto unlock feature can be changed by using your control panel?
im a guy, we don't read instructions or owns manuals we just figure things out on our own

no I haven't read the 150 page manual but its worth a shot, I hadn't even thought about that because I just assumed you cant turn off safety features like the child protective auto lock feature.

I went put another 300 miles on it today so I meet their required 500 miles to fix the tires and this time I paid super extra careful attention to the vibration and its all 100% in the seat and nothing is coming from the steering wheel, the seat was shaking me so I thought the steering had a little vibration too but with a light fingertip feel I could tell the wheel is rock solid smooth so its the back end as in rear tires or drive train issue