SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:09 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
im a guy, we don't read instructions or owns manuals we just figure things out on our own

no I haven't read the 150 page manual but its worth a shot, I hadn't even thought about that because I just assumed you cant turn off safety features like the child protective auto lock feature.

I went put another 300 miles on it today so I meet their required 500 miles to fix the tires and this time I paid super extra careful attention to the vibration and its all 100% in the seat and nothing is coming from the steering wheel, the seat was shaking me so I thought the steering had a little vibration too but with a light fingertip feel I could tell the wheel is rock solid smooth so its the back end as in rear tires or drive train issue
Something to think about or try............

If you think it is the back tire problem, swap the tires and see if the vibration changes to the front or stays in the back.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

update:

spent 9 hours at the dealership today

first from 7:30 to 9 am it took for them to say GM suggested to RF balance all 4 tires. that's what I was told they were already going to do last time (Thursday) as soon as I put enough miles on it and it took them 90 minutes to rediscover this lost knowledge of what to do next?

so now its 9 am and of course their RF balance machine is broke so they have to bring it to another dealership to have it done but now im at the back of the line at the other dealership with like 12 people ahead of me.

around 12 they tell me the truck is back and all 4 tires were "way out" as they put it and so we test drive it and it wasn't bad but still had a slight vibration so I said to go ahead and put on a new set of tires since they offered to do that.

4 hours later the test drive now has vibration at 60 mph instead of 70 so the guy says "I guess we need to RF balance them.

what the heck, you put a new set of tires and don't balance them the way GM says you need to and this after taking 4 hours to replace 4 tires.

so now its 4:30 and too late to send it out and get it back today so I was given rental to go home and they will get it RF balanced tomorrow and if that doesn't solve it they said maybe they could try a different brand or tires on it. so far not everything they mention ends up being a real option but it does seam to be a tire issue since changing things with the tires changes the circumstances and intensity of the vibration.

@ duckman1911 - the service manager reset the door lock thing for me so that's fixed but he didn't know if he could or how to set it to auto lock itself if the key isn't in the ignition and its left unlocked
Old 09-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Flounder

Cash: 815

Your truck would not happen to have the towing package would it?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski View Post
Your truck would not happen to have the towing package would it?
yep, but from what I saw in the online complaints its a gambit of all of them from 2wd to 4wd and regular cab to crew cab and extended cabs all seam to have a group of vehicles doing this with or without towing packages and there are two tire brands involved, the bridgestones duelers and the goodyears.

from what I saw in the online complaints, a few people have come across details showing the tires being put on the new trucks is a much lower quality of speed, load, and temperature ratings then the ones you go buy retail so while its a guess, I think its all caused by really crappy tires and also poor quality rims being cast instead of turned which makes them harder to balance even though in my case I have the steel wheels.

IMO it also appears they don't balance the tires at the factory because this new electronic assist power steering is "suppose" to absorb vibration from out of balance tires

its also affecting trucks with steel whells or aluminum and in all sizes 17", 18" and 20"
Old 09-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Flounder

Cash: 815

The reason I asked is that my brother bought a crew cab a year ago or so and is some kinda po'ed about the vibration. They have switched tires, balanced em, different driveshaft, and some rear end gear parts. He bought uniroyals for it out of his pocket. Say's it's better, but still vibrating. He's been on some forum and they figured out that the ones at the time had the tow package and there are different parts in rear end assemblies. He even bought some kinda gel pad and had a shop install it in the drivers seat.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski View Post
The reason I asked is that my brother bought a crew cab a year ago or so and is some kinda po'ed about the vibration. They have switched tires, balanced em, different driveshaft, and some rear end gear parts. He bought uniroyals for it out of his pocket. Say's it's better, but still vibrating. He's been on some forum and they figured out that the ones at the time had the tow package and there are different parts in rear end assemblies. He even bought some kinda gel pad and had a shop install it in the drivers seat.
'
as far as I know its just the 2014 model years with these issues but I guess any truck could have a similar problem

did he switch rims? because the service manager told me he has seen bad rims sometimes out of round (mostly with the mags) and a regular balance machine cant catch that that's why the need to do the RF balance (road force) see if he can borrow someone elses rims and tires to try out and know for sure if its in the drive train or the tires or rims because GM is clueless to figure out
problems like this, all they know how to do is change parts til they get lucky

RF balance machine looks like a regular balancer but it has a big drum to press down on the wheel to test for being out of round or egg shaped

the only thing they could be talking about is the towing package comes with the locking diferential added that's not on regular trucks so that must be what they are talking about

the ones I read about with the drive shafts or rear ends being an issue is those who had increased vibrations when towing, some to the point of thinking a wheel was loose

Last edited by keakar; 09-03-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Red Snapper

update:

I got the truck back today after they were "supposed to" RF balance the four tires they said they replaced.

as it turns out, it says on the paperwork that they just swapped tires out with another truck on the lot and sent it off to southern tire to be balanced but nothing was mentioned on the paperwork about it being a RF balance.

it was raining when I picked it up so no test drive, anyway on the way home it is still vibrating but not much (about like the last time I was tempted to let it go and keep it) but when I got home I took a good look at the tires they put on just to see if they were different tires but I cant tell if they swapped them all or just one or two.

the big problem was right there in my face, my truck has steel wheels with ss hubcaps and they clamped the wheel weights right over the hub caps locking them onto the rim!

it has a center cap you take off first before you can pull the outer ring off but they removed just the center caps to balance it and hammered the weights right over the hubcap as though it was the rim.

things are definitely looking very hinky at this point so im gonna call southern tire and see if they even have a RF balance machine because at this poinnt it wouldn't surprise me to find out they don't.

I got receipts for 2 repairs on same problem and Monday will be #3 so I guess they get 2 more tries before lemon law kicks in
Old 09-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Red Snapper

todays update:

dropped the truck off this morning, the guy said they put the miles on the truck test driving it and sometimes put as much as 100 miles on them for problems like this to be sure they fixed the problem. yet they keep saying they don't feel it anymore and its fixed when its not

as to the hubcap trim ring, the parts guy showed it to me in the computer and the rim asnd trim ring are one unit in two pieces that are bonded together at the factory so they don't come apart separately and that's why the weight was put on the outside but they will send it back and have them rebalance it with only putting weights on the back side so it doesn't show on the outside.

on the way in today I noticed a wheel hop issue at 40 mph and the service guy admitted he felt it too but he said that's just how short bed trucks do because of the suspension . I explained the truck did not do this before with the other set of tires they had on the truck at first and in fact all I ever owned was several new short bed trucks and they don't bounce or hop unless the road causes it and on smooth flat even roads with fresh blacktop there will not do that just because of tight suspension.

left with rental truck again and i'll see what happens this time.

repair #3 for the same vibration problem is in progress
Old 09-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 767

as to the hubcap trim ring, the parts guy showed it to me in the computer and the "rim asnd trim ring are one unit in two pieces that are bonded together at the factory so they don't come apart separately and that's why the weight was put on the outside but they will send it back and have them rebalance it with only putting weights on the back side so it doesn't show on the outside."

This part is confusing to me. Shouldn't they remove the trim ring\center cap to balance the wheels?
Old 09-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboy View Post
as to the hubcap trim ring, the parts guy showed it to me in the computer and the "rim asnd trim ring are one unit in two pieces that are bonded together at the factory so they don't come apart separately and that's why the weight was put on the outside but they will send it back and have them rebalance it with only putting weights on the back side so it doesn't show on the outside."

This part is confusing to me. Shouldn't they remove the trim ring\center cap to balance the wheels?
it confused me and the parts guy at first too because you would think so but the steel wheel is made, then the ss trim ring is made they GM permabonds them together so they can never come apart.

only the center cap comes off and the outer trim ring doesn't so it is two pieces but made as one part you cant separate.

look at the wheel here any it might help you see whats going on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
well I saw a printout of the parts film where they only two 17" wheels were the mag and the steel wheel with ss trim and it only shows it as one part number, there is no part number or anything that shows the trim as a separate part. at this point all I have to go on is what he showed me and told me and I cant see a clear separation or anything where you can see movement or separation between the trim and the wheel.

this is it, mine is part #1, its a plain old fashioned regular black steel rim on the inside with a ss overlay trim piece permabonded onto it to look and act as a hub cap style trim piece just for looks http://www.gmwholesalepartsdirect.com/index.php?i=2&model=682&make=116&year=2014&section =116&catid=30154&type=parts&subcatid=&item_collisi on=1&items=none&image=GH14266&catid=30154

and this is what they actually look like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-2014-Chevy-Silverado-Tahoe-Sub-Factory-17-Chrome-Clad-Wheels-Rims-OEM-5655-/221541598359?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item3 394e88497&vxp=mtr
you might see it at a separate piece on ebay because some companies do sell an ad-on hubcap that looks just like this to give you a new 2014 stock truck look but that's just an aftermarket immitation
Old 09-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 767

Gotcha.

Been awhile since I slung any tires, but in extreme cases like this we would dismount tires then spin just the rim on the balancer to see if the problem was in the tires or rims, and if it was in the rims it would tell us which one(s) was causing the issue.

Hope they can get it figured out for you.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:23 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboy View Post
Gotcha.

Been awhile since I slung any tires, but in extreme cases like this we would dismount tires then spin just the rim on the balancer to see if the problem was in the tires or rims, and if it was in the rims it would tell us which one(s) was causing the issue.

Hope they can get it figured out for you.
me too but at this point im almost 50/50 kinda hoping they can't so I can lemon law it and get out of the deal with a buy back before other problems start to come up

if it comes back with a vibration again I will demand they do just that and test the bare rims as well as start with 4 brand new tires taken off of the rack and not swapped with a set they pull from another truck on the lot like they did last time.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Red Snapper

ok, I got the truck back and they said they felt it but they didn't do anything at all to the truck because everything was normal and is working fine, this is what the service ticket said:
Quote:
A CS FEELS HOP IN VEHICLE AT 40 MPH SEE HISTORY
0400 NORMAL OPERATION N/C

627 TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND FOUND COMPLAINT TO BE NORMAL FOR A SHORT WHEEL BASE TRUCK. CUSTOMER ALSO CONCERNED ABOUT WHEEL WEIGHTS ON OUTSIDE OF CHROME CLAD RIMS NEEDING TO BE REMOVED IF HE HAD A FLAT. INFORMED CUSTOMER THAT WHEEL IS CHROME CLAD AND THAT CHROME COVER IS NOT TO BE REMOVED BECAUSE OF IT BEING BONDED TO STEEL WHEEL. CUSTOMER TO RETURN TO DRIVE WITH DMA.

B RENTAL LOANER VEHICLE FOR ONE DAY
100 INTS N/C

C** C/S HE FEELS VIBRATION AROUND 60-70 MPH
0400 TIRES N/C

627 TEST DROVE VEHICLE AT SPEEDS NOTED WITH NO VIBRATION FELT. DID FEEL ROAD SURFACE AND EXPANSION JOINTS IN ROADWAY.

so in other words, they aren't going to fix anything
Old 09-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Red Snapper

just left the local dealer (different one then the first 3 repairs) for service #4 for vibration and he said its a known issue for "some" trucks and he has another truck in the shop for exactly the same issue but GM has no recommended fix for it so they will call me when they know how to fix it, otherwise they consider it "normal" to vibrate

oh well buyer beware !!!
Old 09-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Red Snapper

lemon law claim has been submitted
Old 09-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Red Snapper

just heard from GM today, they are processing my complaint and will start gathering the dealership records on the repair attempts as well as have a GM rep ride in the truck with me to see the problem for himself.

from what I see on forums they always deny feeling it even if he is bouncing around so I expect my experience will be the same.

luckily from what i read, the GM rep report hasn't been a cause for them to deny any claims yet but I would guess at some point that may change when it starts costing them money to buy back large numbers of these trucks. right now I think it benefits they to quiet those who are complaining so they can continue to deny there is a problem.

I will only need a lawyer to argue with them if they try to deny the claim which I don't see where they have done that in any of these cases yet but will update when I get a result one way or the other
Old 09-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
just heard from GM today, they are processing my complaint and will start gathering the dealership records on the repair attempts as well as have a GM rep ride in the truck with me to see the problem for himself.

from what I see on forums they always deny feeling it even if he is bouncing around so I expect my experience will be the same.

luckily from what i read, the GM rep report hasn't been a cause for them to deny any claims yet but I would guess at some point that may change when it starts costing them money to buy back large numbers of these trucks. right now I think it benefits they to quiet those who are complaining so they can continue to deny there is a problem.

I will only need a lawyer to argue with them if they try to deny the claim which I don't see where they have done that in any of these cases yet but will update when I get a result one way or the other

Might have to take them on a landing strip at Lafayette regional, hard to feel anything on the roads around here!
Old 09-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Might have to take them on a landing strip at Lafayette regional, hard to feel anything on the roads around here!
well im lucky we have a brand new 2 mile stretch of blacktop interstate here in laplace.

that why I told them to have the rep meet me here at the local dealership for the test drive so I can show him you drift from lane to lane left and right and the vibration is constant and never changing so there is no way its from the road surface doing it.

strange thing is its kinda mild until you get about 5 miles traveled then it gets stronger so I think its when the tranny or rear end warms up.

after about 10 miles its unmistakable.

funny thing is you wouldn't go that far to notice it on a regular test drive when buying it.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Red Snapper

update: GM mediator said flat spots on tires are not a warranty issue so they wont buy the truck back.

really, flat spots??????????

she never even read the service tickets apparently because she has no clue what has or hasn't been done to the truck and just repeated what a service manager said about it on the phone and apparently he never read any of the service tickets either because they said rioht on them in the service dept own inspection that the problem was not flat spotted tires.

it would be funny if this wasn't so serious.

anyway I did two videos to document the vibrations as I prepare to get a lawyer to take them to court and force them to buy it back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5LQYCMk_e4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppSl...m-upload_owner
Old 10-13-2014, 08:46 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Another test drive you might make is to get another similar truck and make the same test video showing a smooth ride on the same road.

This would compare a good truck to your truck that vibrates.

I also drive a Silverado, but it is much older and no vibration problems. Your problems make me wonder what I might get to replace this truck someday.