SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

We had scouted this hole out the last day you could fish in Sabine in October and it looked awesome. We jumped probably 80 ducks out of it, mostly mottled ducks. The widgeon grass was so thick and matted up I would have had to make holes in it just so my decoys would sit flat in the water. The water was about 8 inches deep and it seemed to be landlocked. It was a perfect duck hole and I knew none of those lazy hunters were going to walk across salt grass to get to a hole. We talked about that hole every time we would get together and shoot the **** from October 15th until opening day. We just knew we were going to smoke em. Well we get out there opening morning and start the journey across the saltgrass pulling the sled loaded down with our decoys, guns, and bags. It wasn't a fun walk, but we thought it was going to be well worth it. We get to the hole and its nothing but mud with a thick layer of widgeon grass. Not a drop of water in that hole. We sat there for a bit wondering where the hell the water went and decided to turn around and go somewhere else. By the time we got back to the boat we were exhausted. We went to try that marsh on the south side of the main canal and it was full of people. So we turned around and went back to the canal south of trappers cabin and went in there. Well we couldnt troll in due to the extreme low tide so we had to walk. By the time we got set up in the ****tiest spot on Sabine, it was probably 7:30 and I had the red azz pretty bad. After seeing about 30 ducks in an hour we decided to just chalk this up to a learning experience. After we got back in the truck, I had a picture from my dad of their 7 man limit of specks, they had finished at 7:30
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (55.1 KB, 119 views)
Old 08-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
we had scouted this hole out the last day you could fish in sabine in october and it looked awesome. We jumped probably 80 ducks out of it, mostly mottled ducks. The widgeon grass was so thick and matted up i would have had to make holes in it just so my decoys would sit flat in the water. The water was about 8 inches deep and it seemed to be landlocked. It was a perfect duck hole and i knew none of those lazy hunters were going to walk across salt grass to get to a hole. We talked about that hole every time we would get together and shoot the **** from october 15th until opening day. We just knew we were going to smoke em. Well we get out there opening morning and start the journey across the saltgrass pulling the sled loaded down with our decoys, guns, and bags. It wasn't a fun walk, but we thought it was going to be well worth it. We get to the hole and its nothing but mud with a thick layer of widgeon grass. Not a drop of water in that hole. We sat there for a bit wondering where the hell the water went and decided to turn around and go somewhere else. By the time we got back to the boat we were exhausted. We went to try that marsh on the south side of the main canal and it was full of people. So we turned around and went back to the canal south of trappers cabin and went in there. Well we couldnt troll in due to the extreme low tide so we had to walk. By the time we got set up in the ****tiest spot on sabine, it was probably 7:30 and i had the red azz pretty bad. After seeing about 30 ducks in an hour we decided to just chalk this up to a learning experience. After we got back in the truck, i had a picture from my dad of their 7 man limit of specks, they had finished at 7:30

ouch! Been ther done that, but when it's good out there it's good. I hunted sabine for many years
Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Every Friday morning of the season last year I was out scouting in the marsh for a good spot that Saturday. I would find a spot holding a lotta ducks or a spot in a good flyway. But all during the week it would be 40 degrees with a 15 mph north wind, and then on Saturday, the day of the hunt, it would be 70 degrees with a 5 mph south wind, and not a duck in sight!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

My first year of college I would hunt in the back. Never had ANYONE around me and was easy pickins on ducks. I quit goin though because I couldn't afford the gas. My motor would burn between 10 or 11 gallons on the round trip. Thats about 21 gallons of gas in the boat for just a weekend, not counting the gas in truck or oil for motor
Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
My first year of college I would hunt in the back. Never had ANYONE around me and was easy pickins on ducks. I quit goin though because I couldn't afford the gas. My motor would burn between 10 or 11 gallons on the round trip. Thats about 21 gallons of gas in the boat for just a weekend, not counting the gas in truck or oil for motor
It's a long trek. I ran outta gas one time on the way back in the drain ditch. It was 40 degrees, raining, and I was soaked from head to toe. I wanted to shoot myself but I was outta shells.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
It's a long trek. I ran outta gas one time on the way back in the drain ditch. It was 40 degrees, raining, and I was soaked from head to toe. I wanted to shoot myself but I was outta shells.
U shoulda been there the day I blew my motor up and it was 20 degrees and raining!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Should've been there the day i fell in a gator hole, and it was like 20 degrees.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
U shoulda been there the day I blew my motor up and it was 20 degrees and raining!
If you're talkin about "the day you blew your motor up", you're gonna have to be more specific.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Swordfish

Lol It was the first time! I think. I lost count
Old 08-10-2012, 02:58 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Lol It was the first time! I think. I lost count
I think it was the first time and that was a trip from hell. 20 degrees, raining, 100 mph wind and blowed up motor. To top it off, the tide was goin out 100 mph, cody had 1 battery for the 24 volt trollin motor and there was only 1 other truck at the launch that morning. The only good thing that happened that day was that one guy happened to be behind us and towed us in!!!

And I didn't even mention how bad we got mud flatted or how we ended up hunting in Beaumont!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Swordfish

Lol and how after we hunted in Beaumont and mud flatted we found out we had a gps.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:56 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Lol and how after we hunted in Beaumont and mud flatted we found out we had a gps.
Bogartin SOB!!