SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:10 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 422
Default Where would you live in LA?

Hi guys, if you could live anywhere in southern LA where would it be? I'm looking to move, but I'm not sure where. I'm an outdoorsman I love to fish, hunt, anything outside. I grew up in FL and been in NC almost as long. I love the South but am tired of the Yankee invasion. I would like to find somewhere laid back with plenty of opportunities to get outside. I just ordered my first mud boat and surface drive motor and would like to be somewhere to put it to good use, catching crawfish, shooting ducks, fishing etc. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,326

I live outside of Kaplan.... We love it out there. Don't really have any close neighbors and we have a nice little place. Plenty of acess to fishing all around. I don't do much waterfowl hunting but we are only 3hrs from our deer lease in the northern part of the state.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Houma. Freshwater, saltwater fishing, hunting, good amenities in the city, but can be in the country also if desired.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Lake Charles has quickest access to fresh, salt, duck, whatever. I am 10-30 minutes from any outdoor activity.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

I mainly fish salt water so I would target areas at about 50 miles inshore from the coast. that's the sweet spot to keep you better protected from storm surges and winds in hurricanes and at the same time your within an hour or less of great saltwater fishing and hunting areas and yet (in most cases) you are still within an hours drive to great freshwater fishing and hunting areas.

this also tends to get you out into the more outlying areas and out of the big cities with high crime and crowded roads everywhere.

one of the best things you can do is go to local fairs and find local people to talk to about the better areas in that area to live and be able to get a feeling for the area. if you want quiet country style living where people still show respect for each other (as much as this still exists), just avoid the big cities and cities with large populations.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:16 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
if you want quiet country style living where people still show respect for each other (as much as this still exists), just avoid the big cities and cities with large populations.

This is exactly what I'm looking for, I get being inshore a ways too to avoid storms and flooding are there any other particular places I should check out? I'm planning on making several trips down to scope it out, the first being later this summer. I'd like to be an hour maybe two at the most from the salt as long as there was plenty of other stuff nearby to do (hunt fish etc.) rivers lake swamps. A reasonable cost of living would be nice too.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentythree View Post
This is exactly what I'm looking for, I get being inshore a ways too to avoid storms and flooding are there any other particular places I should check out? I'm planning on making several trips down to scope it out, the first being later this summer. I'd like to be an hour maybe two at the most from the salt as long as there was plenty of other stuff nearby to do (hunt fish etc.) rivers lake swamps. A reasonable cost of living would be nice too.
each persons own interests and needs makes this hard to answer.

for me im ok with higher risk, so I live 5 minutes from the boat launch in golden, meadow, la 70357

its behind a levee protection but its not well protected from storms. the kids there still say yes sir and no sir when they speak to adults (most of them anyway) and the crime reports are 90% filled with contempt of court instead of murder, theft, and violent crime.

best advice I can give is to think about your main areas you want to spend the most time to hunt and fish and then look at the areas near that.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,139

South of I-10
Old 04-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Hi guys, if you could live anywhere in southern LA where would it be? I'm looking to move, but I'm not sure where. I'm an outdoorsman I love to fish, hunt, anything outside. I grew up in FL and been in NC almost as long. I love the South but am tired of the Yankee invasion. I would like to find somewhere laid back with plenty of opportunities to get outside. I just ordered my first mud boat and surface drive motor and would like to be somewhere to put it to good use, catching crawfish, shooting ducks, fishing etc. Any ideas?

Have you ever been to Louisiana?
Old 04-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Sand Trout

No not yet. Coming down later this summer.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:43 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216
Default Where would you live in LA?

Around Lafeyette is probably the best bang for your buck with regards to hunting and fishing (duck, deer, fresh, salt) access, people, prices and amenities.

In the Lafayette area the food is better than anywhere else in the state, which means it's better than anywhere else in the country.

Move to Lake Charles if you like the smell of 3 week old Easter eggs and the site of refineries. Otherwise just drive to big lake from the Lafayette area when vermillion bay or the basin aren't on.

The drive to cocodrie and to big lake is nearly identical from the Lafayette area, plus the basin has plenty of food and fun on the weekends, not to mention bass, pan fish and public hunting (30-45) mins from Lafayette.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Ling

Quote:
No not yet. Coming down later this summer.

Lafayette or mandeville/madisonville

Be forewarned that we Louisiana folk are pretty trashy. You will not believe the trash along the roads. That's the biggest Hong I hear from out of staters.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Lafayette or mandeville/madisonville

Be forewarned that we Louisiana folk are pretty trashy. You will not believe the trash along the roads. That's the biggest Hong I hear from out of staters.

Mandeville/Madisonville are solid too, forgot about that little nook of paradise.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Mandeville/Madisonville are solid too, forgot about that little nook of paradise.
Yeah it's nice over there. Blowing up too like youngsville. Good schools too
Old 04-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Sand Trout

Sorry to hear about the trash but you guys don't have a monopoly, plenty of that here too. I'm looking forward to the food I'm a big fan.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:04 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Any Where other than
New Orleans
Baton Rouge
Lafayette ( mini Baton Rouge )
Old 04-10-2016, 06:40 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Around Lafeyette is probably the best bang for your buck with regards to hunting and fishing (duck, deer, fresh, salt) access, people, prices and amenities.

In the Lafayette area the food is better than anywhere else in the state, which means it's better than anywhere else in the country.

Move to Lake Charles if you like the smell of 3 week old Easter eggs and the site of refineries. Otherwise just drive to big lake from the Lafayette area when vermillion bay or the basin aren't on.

The drive to cocodrie and to big lake is nearly identical from the Lafayette area, plus the basin has plenty of food and fun on the weekends, not to mention bass, pan fish and public hunting (30-45) mins from Lafayette.

Lol, obviously you havent been to lake charles in the past 20 years.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Sand Trout

You guys get rid of those eggs? Lol. I'm assuming sulphur?

Old 04-10-2016, 07:29 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Holly Beach!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck View Post
Lol, obviously you havent been to lake charles in the past 20 years.
x2